Granted By Dazzled....FULFILLED

Tanks and armored fighting vehicles - and era, scale, etc.
Runs December 1st to 31st; GBL: Jssel
Titan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Granted By Dazzled

Post by Titan »

Yes beer time, more important I think. Have a good time :beer: :beer: :beer:

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by ShaunW »

Have a great time Darryl. Personally, I don't often put modelling before a good slurp - especially yummy continental lager :beer: :beer: :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

ShaunW wrote:Have a great time Darryl. Personally, I don't often put modelling before a good slurp - especially yummy continental lager :beer: :beer: :ha:
It is extremely yummy.

Doesn't do much for personal verticality though ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Well, it's been a while. First studying got in the way. Then an enforced trip to Belgium ;-) distracted me. Finally work and an appalling head cold conspired to keep me away from the bench. But today I returned.....to find that the water in my brush cleaning pot has dried out :frown: .

So, after a brief visit to the tap it was on with the Grant.

And things have been happening, yes siree! The tracks were being treated to a coat of Tamiya XF-56 and dunked in my own special blend of seven herbs and spices chalk pastels to give them a better appearance than the glossy rubber band plastic. So Seventies :)

I got the wheels and suspension finished and got the tracks on double quick using the recommended method of burning myself with a screwdriver tip (something Mr Tamiya learned during the war, no doubt ;-) ).

Then, with a flourish, some superglue and a modicum of bad language, the sand shields were coaxed into place.

And that wouldn't be bad progress but wait, to quote Jimmy Cricket, there's more.

I've wanted to try a bit of salt weathering for a while but, to be honest, I don't build a lot of armour. When I do build military vehicles I'm more inclined towards soft skins :roll: so the opportunity hasn't really presented itself until now. A desert scheme tank appeared to be the ideal subject.

So, first a base colour. I had some Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dark Green (2) ready thinned and it seemed close enough so the model was given a quick blast over. Before doing this I made sure to mask off the running gear by means of a little card "boat" taped around the bottom of the vehicle.

Then I put some clean water, out of my drinking glass (fortunately I didn't mix it up with the wine glass ;-) ), into the airbrush and gave the model a good soaking, starting with the turret. While this was wet I sprinkled over some good rock salt, manfully resisting the urge to add pepper and a hint of rosemary :grin: . I repeated the process for the hull then, with probably not enough drying time, loaded the Aztek with XF-59 and started applying the top coat. I had to do this pretty gently at first to avoid blowing the salt grains away, then building up the paint in layers.

Now I did mention the foreshortened drying time brought on by impatience and Merlot. Well this seems to have had a fortuitous effect. I've done some building modelling in the past where I've achieved distressed effects by inducing a reaction between varnishes, stains and paints and here I seem to have achieved something very similar. The salty residue appears to have reacted with the acrylic paint and produced a very nice weathering effect. Not only this but (and I can't capture this in a picture) it's given the model "texture". It's weird and unplanned but I'm pretty pleased with it.

After the painting, which took less than 1 1/2 hours start to finish, I added some scratches and ground pastel weathering before cleaning up the surface with cotton buds and kitchen towel. This is where it's at now.

There are still a few things to do but todays few hours at the bench have been highly pleasing and a real stress reliever :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks really good and very authentic!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

It looks awesome Darryl, very realistic. You obviously need to drink more. :ha:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

What a great result. Merlot motivated modelling is clearly the way forward. :mrgreen:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent weathering effects, I like that a lot. Obviously wine refreshes the parts other drinks cannot reach :grin:

IPMS#12300
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

That does look good, I am definitely going to remember that tip, and drink more wine. :-D
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Darryl, that is some truly fine weathering. It looks so real.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for the compliments guys. Much appreciated :) .

I've snuck in a couple of hours at the bench today along with my lovely assistant, Famous Grouse. It was the only way to relieve the stress of the threat of a visit to my mother-in-law hanging over me :shock: .

I did some decalling, giving them a dose of weathering immediately after application. The overcoat of matt varnish was a big help in absorbing the streaks and stains I applied although the decals were pretty reluctant to come away from the backing paper. I did wonder if I'd get them on before the new year.

Apart from that, there were the towing shackles, coaxial MG and external tools to paint up and add. I went for a mix of finishes with these using Humbrol Metalcote polished steel as an undercoat where appropriate. Polishing any overpainted areas then gave nice metallic worn edges. Then I added an aerial wire and decided to call it done.

And here it is.

Next!
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Really nice work, got to love the Grant/Lee design
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Famous Grouse? I keep that right next to my Glenlivet. Good call.

Most beautiful work.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks suitably desertised.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This looks great Darryl, you've got the desert weathering spot on to me.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Tanks for the Memories”