2015 Display General Chat Thread

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: 2015 Display General Chat Thread

Post by splash »

It's this big :-D

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

At what point do we start talking the various placards, brochures, etc, that we will have on the table ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

jRatz wrote:At what point do we start talking the various placards, brochures, etc, that we will have on the table ?
ASAP I would say John. I've been away on holiday for two weeks and only arrived home yesterday. Normally I would have taken our netbook computer to stay in touch. However, ahem, someone forgot to put it into the baggage in the slight rush that we had before departing - for once, not my fault!

I agree, time is marching on, give me a little time to get back to normal and I will start to give the display organisation more thought.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Right then, after a bit of effort and brute force, this...

now looks like this...

and more importantly now has this much space inside so I can begin modelling again...

and in particular, I can begin laying track on the baseboards

I have 3x 2ft x 4ft 3mm thick MDF, so two side by side with one across the end will give an area of 6ft by 4ft. Other models can be placed either side on the table cloth to cover the rest of the 12ft table width.

Here is a reminder of my proposal - nothing is set in stone apart from the two circuits of track and the inner station and shed roads as these will have to be nailed in place. Everything else can be moved to fit.

With respect to my sketch, I know I have seen at least one dockside crane, a turntable, a footbridge, two planes for the airfield and Chris' garage and other buildings. I have the platforms in hand and I believe Ratch is doing the signal box. Paul is working on some vehicles and I think we have the static engines and rolling stock covered in spades. John is working on the coaches that will be part of the moving layout pulled by a couple of engines I will provide which may or may not have Airfix/Dapol bodies placed on Hornby/Lima chassis, depending on time.

Thus for now I see a need for the ticket office and the platform fittings and standing passengers, as well as an engine shed or two, so please shout out if anyone has these in hand or intends to procure them please. A few more planes to accompany Paul's little beauties on the airfield would be nice too.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I have two aircraft finished and another one, perhaps two, to come. I shall have four road vehicles and one or two airfield vehicles, plus the control tower.

We also need trees and bushes - I can buy a bag of green lichen to throw in the box as well.

Was someone going to contribute an Airfix MTB or RAF launch for the dockside?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

I have added trees in the churchyard and have also added one to the pub garden to fill up the board its on.

Beany: As for people Al - there are a mix of station workers - labourers and platform people - as well as civi dressed men and ladies in the set Paul sent me to paint. So you have got some people there. I have also added/fixed a few people into all the "scenes" I am supplying

Splash: Apologies for not responding earlier regarding the crane. If we do need it - then I will take the challenge. It looks like its a handy size, and would not be too cumbersome or fragile which was/is more my worry to transport. But probably lets give Al a chance to get the track down and patch in the base sizes of the other components and see what space we still need to fill.
If needs be, as long as it gets to me by end-September I can find a few evenings to sort it out. It will look different to your other one though as I am a brush painter.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Al, I like the way you built the shed around the shelves :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I visited my local model railway emporium yesterday and my man there is going to try and track down the following Dapol bits and pieces:

Booking office
Signal gantry
Kiosk and platform steps
Station accessories

He has some good contacts - for instance I'm not sure that the booking office is still available - and is interested in what we are doing. I'll keep you posted as to what I can get hold of.

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

ShaunW wrote: ......... I'm not sure that the booking office is still available. ........ ..... . I'll keep you posted as to what I can get hold of.
Booking hall available direct from Dapol if not anywhere else.
http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=prod ... uct_id=543;

I haven't looked on Hattons site but they generally stock the range and are cheaper than Dapol.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks for the info Chris. My man at the local railway shop is keen as mustard and I'm confident he'll come up trumps. TBH wherever possible I'd sooner patronise a local shop than deal with the big boys - use your LMS or lose it as the saying goes. I only discovered this guy through this project as I'm not a dedicated railway modeller. In addition to model railway gear, he stocks paints and plastic card etc so will be useful for my general modelling needs.

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Fully agree that you should patronise the local shop Shaun. I just put up the link so you can see that it is still easily available.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've checked the position regarding my order with the model shop and, all being well, by next weekend I should be in possession of the Dapol booking office, signal gantry, kiosk and platform steps and platform accessories. In the meantime I'm keeping my mojo up by returning to my Hasegawa F-100D build, which is a rather long-running project at 15 years and counting :ha:

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

ShaunW wrote:I've checked the position regarding my order with the model shop and, all being well, by next weekend I should be in possession of the Dapol booking office, signal gantry, kiosk and platform steps and platform accessories. In the meantime I'm keeping my mojo up by returning to my Hasegawa F-100D build, which is a rather long-running project at 15 years and counting :ha:
Shaun if you can't get the booking office I have just won one on ebay that arrived safely yesterday as a back up.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

jRatz wrote:At what point do we start talking the various placards, brochures, etc, that we will have on the table ?
Along with this, which Shaun did acknowledge, who are we to be mailing to ? And what is the latest arrival date ?
I need an address so I can search out shipping options and timing.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

splash wrote:
ShaunW wrote:I've checked the position regarding my order with the model shop and, all being well, by next weekend I should be in possession of the Dapol booking office, signal gantry, kiosk and platform steps and platform accessories. In the meantime I'm keeping my mojo up by returning to my Hasegawa F-100D build, which is a rather long-running project at 15 years and counting :ha:
Shaun if you can't get the booking office I have just won one on ebay that arrived safely yesterday as a back up.
Cheers Splash. Apparently all of my list above has now been sourced and my man is going to collect the items from his supplier tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't get to the shop now until Saturday but once I have the kits I'll start building them straight away. There won't be a lot of time for my usual AMS fiddling about so, for once, I feel OOB will be the order of the day.

IPMS#12300

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”