2015 Display List of Models and Builders

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: 2015 Display List of Models and Builders

Post by splash »

I think I might have been lucky, whilst browsing Ebay I found a set of three Kitmaster kits issued as part of the Nabisco Food Companies promotions given away from breakfast cereal boxes. As the sale included three kits I entered a cheeky bid and to my surprise won.

It would appear that I have won a Deltic, Evening Star and a 350hp Diesel Shunter. At first I thought the Shunter was the 0-6-0 class 03 that I'm currently building, but it would appear that Kitmaster produced a different engine and its probably a Class 08.

The question is: Is the Kitmaster 350hp Diesel a rare Kit? and would you want it built as part of the display?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

I believe the moulds didn't survive into Airfix ownership Alan so it had a fairly short lived existence. As to rarity I wouldn't have a clue :oops:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Great find !!

None of the KM molds survived Airfix.

Knight (see my thread) states that "the 08 shunter was the first ever plastic kit of a locomotive to be issued in the UK" (1959). He further states that it is "relatively common and does not command a high second-hand price."

Apparently you can tell if you have a very early release by the two marker lights, set immediately above the buffers; later the kit was modified to have four.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers John & Tom

If it's the first locomotive kit issued in the UK then it sounds like a must for the display :-D I will move it onto the board when it turns up.

Regards Splash
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Got one finished!

Down at Pedgeons Motors, the men are busy repairing some dodgy old thing that is meant to resemble a landrover!

I will need to get a bit of hardboard or MDF and make a base to set it all on. It will end up circa 7x8 or 8"x8" as that is the smallest that I can practically lay it out. Much bigger and it will need "other stuff" with it to fill the board, much smaller and it will look stupid.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This lot arrived on my doorstep from eBay, I think it's a bargin at just over £16 inc p&p for all three.

A quick look shows very crisp mouldings with little or no flash.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Mmmm, nice! Did you get any free breakfast cereal with it.....?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

PaulBradley wrote:Mmmm, nice! Did you get any free breakfast cereal with it.....?
The post mark showed /6d (2.5p in todays money) so I think the cereal might have gone past its sell by date :-D
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

One more to add to the display.

I picked up this built model on eBay and thought if I refurbish it by re-painting it it would make a good edition especially as it has its box and instructions .

Rosebud Kitmaster Italian Tank 0-6-0 class 835 Loco

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Nice catch! They really were keen to follow the instructions and paint the mechanism bright silver back in the day, weren't they? Odd, since you'd think that looking at a real steam locomotive wasn't so hard... Anyway, I think it would be good to figure out how to display a good range of boxes -- I've got some excellent ones with my purchases as well...

bestest,
M.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

mattbacon wrote:Nice catch! They really were keen to follow the instructions and paint the mechanism bright silver back in the day, weren't they? Odd, since you'd think that looking at a real steam locomotive wasn't so hard... Anyway, I think it would be good to figure out how to display a good range of boxes -- I've got some excellent ones with my purchases as well...

bestest,
M.
The choice of paint in those days was more restricted, I recall when Airfix did its own range of paints in little glass bottles and the range was limited to just bold primary colours, plus they only had black and white TV / magazines and no internet so unless you travelled to Italy you would never have seen the real thing.

Hats off to the original builder, he or she had done a very good job considering all the black is just the original un-painted plastic.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I've just purchased 4 x Station Platform sets via eBay - that should be enough for two platforms I hope. I've updated the chart at the top of the thread but do continue to let me know if any of the detail is wrong or colours/status need changing on any of the items that I haven't spotted yet please.
I will be buying the MDF for the baseboards next week and laying the track and then checking the two battery controllers I've obtained. If all is well I'll make a very short video of trains running to inspire a further flurry of building.

We are still short on several of the buildings and accessories sets to garnish the platforms I'll be building so if anyone can spare a bit more of your hard earned to get these it would be greatly appreciated - I do know that this display has hit us all quite hard in the pockets already but I know it will be worth it in the long run!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm up for a bit of building work Al, once again that is something that takes me out of my modelling comfort zone and therefore adds to the interest. What do you have in mind?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Ladies and Gents, as a minimum for the station itself I would like to have the following (all Airfix kits as it happens so should be available as Dapol as well):

Booking Hall (- people gotta buy tickets!!)
Platform Kiosk and Steps (- people gotta be able to get to the Booking Hall!)
Platform Accessories
Platform Canopy
Platform Fittings

and also be nice to have
Signal Box (at least two)
Signal Gantry

Forgive me if any of these have already been pledged and are being/have been built - let me know and I'll update the list.
Many thanks guys.
The Fat Controller.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

beany wrote:Ladies and Gents, as a minimum for the station itself I would like to have the following (all Airfix kits as it happens so should be available as Dapol as well):

Booking Hall (- people gotta buy tickets!!)
Platform Kiosk and Steps (- people gotta be able to get to the Booking Hall!)
Platform Accessories
Platform Canopy
Platform Fittings

and also be nice to have
Signal Box (at least two)
Signal Gantry

Forgive me if any of these have already been pledged and are being/have been built - let me know and I'll update the list.
Many thanks guys.
The Fat Controller.
Right, I'll start to have a look at some of these products then. I quite fancy building a signal box or maybe two for starters but if anyone is building any of these then please shout up as I'll probably order something by the end of the week and I don't want to duplicate stuff when I could be building one of the other accessories.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”