2015 Display Table Design Thread

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: 2015 Display Table Design Thread

Post by PaulBradley »

Supposed to snow 6 inches tonight and tomorrow, here - I'll send you some, you can type and cross-match it.......
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

beany wrote:Sadly I have to announce that after several attempts with the layout this weekend I'm afraid I'm chucking the towel in - I just can't get the trains to run properly - maybe the track is too old or something, I just don't know. I was using a mains powered transformer for the test but the running was just too erratic to let the public have a go. So, basically it will now be a completely static display. Sorry to disappoint those who were looking forward to driving a train.

On a brighter note - due to the huge amount of peer pressure (and the fact I didn't really like it anyway) I have now repainted the shelf unit in Southern Railways green and cream colours. Photos later when I've put another coat or two on.

Cheers (albeit through gritted teeth and tears of disappointment) :boom:
Al

Nil desperandum Al, you've done a fantastic job to put together the layout. Perhaps we can explain away the poor running with the fact that the 'Working Features' on CBK's didn't always work as well as thy were meant to ;-)

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

TomW wrote:[ Perhaps we can explain away the poor running with the fact that the 'Working Features' on CBK's didn't always work as well as thy were meant to ;-)
There won't be any running at all I'm afraid Tom - I've binned the whole idea - so there is now about another square foot of space to fill where the controller would have sat!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

beany wrote:
TomW wrote:[ Perhaps we can explain away the poor running with the fact that the 'Working Features' on CBK's didn't always work as well as thy were meant to ;-)
There won't be any running at all I'm afraid Tom - I've binned the whole idea - so there is now about another square foot of space to fill where the controller would have sat!
Ah, well, after me thinking we little or no space left, fortuitously, as a result of there being no Cold War SIG table, Darryl (Dazzled) has additional carrying capacity and is kindly bringing along a couple of Keil Kraft traction engines, a Merit GWR truck a couple of Springside white metal models and a small selection of early Ratio and Cooper Craft rolling stock in case we have a use for them.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany

Post by beany »

I was reading Tom's post about completing his boat and thought "Great, that'll look good sitting alongside the...", oh bugger,
I've forgotten all about the dock :shock:

Splash sent me two nice dockside sections but I had done nothing to incorporate them into the layout, mainly because there
was no room for them. So tonight I have frantically been working on an extension that will just have to butt up to the
left hand side of the baseboard. Splash's sections look great but I fancied there was room for another so I scanned one of
his boards and printed out the artwork.

Unfortunately I couldn't match the colour exactly, but we can stand vehicles and things on them to cover the differences.
Here is what I have after some frantic sawing, hammering, cutting and gluing:

The board shaped at an angled at the bottom left because that was the existing shape of the only piece of MDF I had left!

Imagine Tom's boat alongside with the cranes apparently loading/unloading it etc.

The other thing I had to do was lift two of the sidings I had laid and instead install a raised section of track to reach up to the
lovely turntable Splash had sent me - I haven't had time to fill in the sides to hide the cardboard corrugations but we may
have to live with that. The paint has just been applied here so is still wet and glossy:

I've got the day off tomorrow but still have quite a lot to do - I've got my Revell Modelling SIG display to think about as well you know :ha:

Cheer
Al.
TomW

Post by TomW »

It's looking great Al :grin: Talking of the Revell SIG I really pleased to say that I've finished my 1/32 Hunter ready for the tables :-D :-D and she is the best build I've ever done, proper chuffed.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany

Post by beany »

TomW wrote:It's looking great Al :grin: Talking of the Revell SIG I really pleased to say that I've finished my 1/32 Hunter ready for the tables :-D :-D and she is the best build I've ever done, proper chuffed.
I was more than impressed by your 1/32 Sea Venom Tom, so anything you say is better than that is going to be well worth looking at.

While I think of it, if you also bring the Sea Venom we could have that on the table, no one will know if it is original Matchbox or Revell re-pop will they?!

Cheers
Al.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The wife and I have just folded up 50 of the "world of CBKs" flyers. Couldn't print more as I was getting funny looks at work.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

beany wrote:
TomW wrote:It's looking great Al :grin: Talking of the Revell SIG I really pleased to say that I've finished my 1/32 Hunter ready for the tables :-D :-D and she is the best build I've ever done, proper chuffed.
I was more than impressed by your 1/32 Sea Venom Tom, so anything you say is better than that is going to be well worth looking at.

While I think of it, if you also bring the Sea Venom we could have that on the table, no one will know if it is original Matchbox or Revell re-pop will they?!

Cheers
Al.
I have just seen it and you are in for a treat it's gorgeous.

All my builds have been safely handed over to Tom, who has kindly volunteered to take them to the show, I have deliberately not fitted any connections to any of the wagons or carriges so that if anyone wants them after the show they can add whatever connections suit their own layout. I don't need any of my builds returning so please dispose of as you see fit.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany

Post by beany »

Final picture of the shelf unit - adorned with some info. and the laminated box tops Splash sent me. I left room up the other end for other peoples contributions as well. Paintwork is a little bit scruffy - I got some of the green onto the cream - but most of it will be obscured by locos anyway. (The unit was actually standing on one end when I took the photo, then rotated it 90*)

Cheers
Al.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Well done Al it looks brilliant, I love the Southern Region colours (so much better than mucky brown and off white that some others like) :-D
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice work, Al!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
philp

Post by philp »

Looks great.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Top work Al, that looks excellent and will look even better once it's loaded up with locos etc.

James - many thanks for your efforts at the photocopier!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”