2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Splash's builds

Post by beany »

Lovely work Splash. However, the more photos I see of completed work, the more pronounced my nervous tick is becoming - where will they all go?!

I am giving serious consideration to seeing if I can fit a third shelf above the display, attached below the two I have already made and was currently reserving for the Kitmaster series - which your Deltic is part of anyway. This may also help as I am guessing that the rare locos will garner a lot of interest and will no doubt be much photographed, hence if they are at chest level rather than down on the table it should facilitate this better.

I'm even wondering about a separate raised platform projecting out from the shelves with your turnable rotating slowly with a "star" engine (which could be changed every hour say so honours are even...) :shock:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Fantastico Alan, an excellent collection. I'll adjust your WIP list accordingly!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

beany wrote:Lovely work Splash. However, the more photos I see of completed work, the more pronounced my nervous tick is becoming - where will they all go?!

I am giving serious consideration to seeing if I can fit a third shelf above the display, attached below the two I have already made and was currently reserving for the Kitmaster series - which your Deltic is part of anyway. This may also help as I am guessing that the rare locos will garner a lot of interest and will no doubt be much photographed, hence if they are at chest level rather than down on the table it should facilitate this better.

I'm even wondering about a separate raised platform projecting out from the shelves with your turnable rotating slowly with a "star" engine (which could be changed every hour say so honours are even...) :shock:
I like the rotating idea, are you thinking of just putting the base on a rotating table or rotating the actual turntable as I have not detailed the bits under the turntable.

To save space you could mount the turntable vertically under the tables you have made as it's all fixed nothing would fall off.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany

Post by beany »

I was just thinking of one of those cheap battery powered rotating display bases you see on eBay. I certainly wouldn't be trying to rotate the turntable itself - not enough time for that now I'm afraid.
Cheers
Al.

P.S. - We now have a three level staggered shelf system (I've raised the other levels such that the locos/vehicles in front don't obscure the wheels and running gear of the ones behind) = 3 x 6 ft in total. Just sploshed some primer on it so I'll take photos at the weekend.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

As an attempt to increase the number of vehicles on this years display I have started to build the Airfix recovery set.

For is age it's quite detailed with more parts than I was expecting :shock:

The Spitfire is an old resin kit I picked up at a show and found it had two port wings and two body's but no starboard wings :evil: the kit is British and I think dates back to 1990 but is not a CBK, do I use it or leave the trailler empty?
beany

Post by beany »

splash wrote:A the kit is British and I think dates back to 1990 but is not a CBK, do I use it or leave the trailer empty?
Use it! I always like the approach taken by the ATF/AMSIG - as long as the model is 51% original Airfix it is OK for display ;-)
(and the 51% is very difficult to quantify so you could get away with murder really!).
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

beany wrote:
splash wrote:A the kit is British and I think dates back to 1990 but is not a CBK, do I use it or leave the trailer empty?
Use it! I always like the approach taken by the ATF/AMSIG - as long as the model is 51% original Airfix it is OK for display ;-)
(and the 51% is very difficult to quantify so you could get away with murder really!).
Cheers, as its a late Spit a simple silver finish should suit the period.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Yes, OK, as the Spit fuselage is making up the load, as opposed to being the main model, we can bend the rules a little as it will improve the overall look of the finished article. We also have some other Airfix airfield vehicles pledged by Dazzled so the airfield side will now start to look better populated.

Many thanks for making the extra effort Alan.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

To save on time and to cover up the missing wings, I have gone for a simple coverup using tissue paper and PVA glue to make a tarpaulin once it dry I will give it a coat of grey or green.

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Clever!

David
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Wow, thats brilliant, well done mate.
George B.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm happy with the tarpaulin it should look ok once painted.

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”