ChrisM's building and bodging

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

ChrisM's building and bodging

Post by chrism »

I will endeavour to keep some record of progress as to whats going on with bits-n-pieces for the display in here:

The Country inn - I thought I ought to show willing elsewhere on this forum and join in, so I am building this as part of the classic kits group build during May 2015. So far, the parts have been pared back from the worst of the flash and excess, and another evening this week I will rub them down with W&D or sanding stick etc, and then hopefully be onto painting in a few days. There really isn't much too it once its all cleaned up (famous last words that will now come back and haunt me). I will post no more photos of this in here, until the building is finished, as I shall not base it till later in year, and want to make garden seats/tables etc separately and not as part of that GB.

The Garage and Petrol Station - this was the best of the bunch in terms of build-ability and lack of flash. So much so that I have already splashed some paint about and will another evening make some more progress with it in terms of fitting window glazing and then assemble the 4 sides etc.

Windmill - Well what have I let myself in for with that. I need to get some wind in my own sails first, and give it some thought, but it may be easier to make new sails from evergreen, than try and de-flash between EVERY slat on each of the 4 sails!

British Grenadiers & Washingtons Army (Civil War reanactment troupe) - these are pretty near finished. I ought to have another pass-over them all and do some tidying up on them, but in principle there are more than enough here to cherry pick at, and put a little scene together. I have a suitable gun carriage and cannon that can be painted up and will add to the scene later.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: ChrisM's building and bodging

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

It's OK to post any work you do toward the display here, so let us see how you do tables & chairs & things, it may help someone else ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks John. I probably wasn't that clear with my comments on the pub. I do intend showing what I do with the "scene" in this topic in here, but the building of the pub building I will do in the group build and not duplicate here until I show here that it is finished
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I think I recognized that much later when I found your GB entry but it didn't sink in; carry on.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Chris, this is interesting stuff and best of luck with the windmill sails!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

This weekend I have finished the petrol station and garage, and just need to source something suitable for a base. I am thinking of a simple piece of plywood, hardboard or MDF which I can just paint or apply a concrete type wallpaper too then fix these pieces onto. It needs fixing down so I can "de-warp" the walls and get it straight.

Progress is being made over in the group build with the pub, and it is only a couple hours of effort away from the finish line now. I will endeavour to break out the windmill one night in week and start clean up of parts.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Chris. Those mechanics look familiar - Airfix Luftwaffe ground crew perhaps, or maybe their RAF colleagues?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Well guessed Shaun, they are indeed the Luftwaffe ground crew, and the Landrover is the specimen included in the bloodhound missile kit.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Chris as you have built a splendid model of the garage do you think there is much point in me building mine?

I was thinking of maybe cutting mine in half and building a double length dock yard building, what's your thoughts.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
chrism

Post by chrism »

I have been giving it a bit of thought - and trying to think of some other commercial use that the building could realistically be put too - a builders merchants, or an antique shop/junk shop-junk yard? It might necessitate a modification for the up and over door into two hinged ones? A workshop type building would also work well.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That sounds like good ideas.
chrism

Post by chrism »

I am sure you can turn yours into something else suitable quite easily.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Paul has very kindly posted these to me, and donated the box of figures and accessories for the display, and I was very pleased to receive them in the post a couple of days ago. They have now been washed and are ready for further processing which will be on my schedule of works for after the Bank Holiday/early June modelling.

I would if I can, like to so something better to avoid see-through with the interior of the pub, and if I can, will try and get it done next week before the month and the group build is over, so as to report what I do, do in the build thread.

This weekend was a productive one, and I can now reveal one windmill, which will eventually end up on an 8inch square base with some other accessories - sacks, barrow etc etc. Everything that should/could move on the building, still does move, and I decided not to add motorisation to it, as the person who will eventually end up getting this for his display, was not bothered about and did not really want it motorised, and I have then got that money that could be spent on something else.

The miller who is dressed in the traditional blue frock, and quaker hat that millers wore, started out as a German figure supplied with a Revell/Matchbox kit
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I love what you have done with Windy Miller from Camberwick Green
chrism

Post by chrism »

splash wrote:I love what you have done with Windy Miller from Camberwick Green
I still have a very soft spot for certain characters from Camberwick Green, Chigley and Trumpton! It was just too good an opportunity to let pass. But the blue smock dress and Quaker hat were the "standard uniform" for a miller, and just happen to be what Windy wore as well. As for will I go the whole hog and call it Colley's Mill? you'll all just have to wait and see . . .

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”