ChrisM's building and bodging

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: ChrisM's building and bodging

Post by PaulBradley »

Without wishing to potentially put a damper on this - do you know the brand? After all, this is for the Classic British Kits stand.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

I have no idea of brand but if it's a going to cause a problem I will stop with it here and now. My gain in time not wasted is welcome. I have plenty other things I can be doing. very happy to forget it - something less for me to do.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I did some research online and it appears the Black Falcon was a 1950's Aurora kit.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

PaulBradley wrote:I did some research online and it appears the Black Falcon was a 1950's Aurora kit.
Oh dear, no good to us then I'm afraid. Pity, it would have looked good but there's no point wasting your time Chris - some smart alec would quickly pull us up on any U.S. kits sneaking in, classic or otherwise :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Not that there was much of the kit that I started with left even now. The deck, stern, masts were all replacements and different, it would have had a different name, and any other bits and pieces on the deck would have been scratched or pretty much aftermarket fittings.

The doing of this only came about because of a conversation which 3 of us had at Farnborough and it was felt a few things were needed to populate the harbour and likewise a second crane was felt appropriate - which I have done using the kit Splash provided.

I now bow out and lets hope someone else has time to build or can provide a built kit else it will be a sparce harbour.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

chrism wrote:I now bow out and lets hope someone else has time to build or can provide a built kit else it will be a sparce harbour.
I appreciate your efforts with this Chris: I'm just sorry it isn't a CBK as it turns out. I will have to do a blitzbau on the Golden Hind you found for me at Farnborough - it is 1/72 after all and at least I won't have to do the sails if it is to be a quayside "static visitors experience"!!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

You've made a great contribution anyway Chris, there's no doubting that. Even though the Aurora ship would, effectively, be a conversion and/or re-built to the point that only the hull remains from the original kit, I can't sanction a model in the display that isn't based upon a CBK, or at least upon a kit that was released in a CBK range - we do bend the rules for old foreign kits that were released in a CBK range, for example as Airfix have done in the past, as a sort of CBK Lite if you will (this rule bending is accepted a little reluctantly on my part it has to be said as I would prefer CBKs on display to actually be British in origin, but I'm not going to be Mr Pedantic about it). To my knowledge, however, this ship kit does not fall into that category.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”