Matt B's going loco (mostly)...

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Matt B's going loco (mostly)...

Post by mattbacon »

This is where I'll record my progress (or lack of it). I've not been a railway modeller (with an actual model railway, I mean) since my early teems, when I ran my Uncle's hand-me-down three-rail Hornby Dublo around the attic. So for me, there's a nostalgia for some familiar shapes from the past, and also an interest in a whole new school of modelling and effects. Presently to hand are:

Dapol reissue of Kitmaster Prairie Tank
Dapol reissue of "Schools Class" -- "Rugby" (I have a great Airfix Magazine article about accurising and detailing this one, with proper livery instructions and all!)
Kitmaster 0-6-0 Saddle Tank (with a spare Esso tanker)
Keil Kraft Foden Steam Wagon
Keil Kraft Green Line coach

Arriving shortly will be an Airfix "BR Mogul."

And if I can find one at a reasonable price, I'd love to do the 0-4-0 Pug, because I had several of those parked around my network.

If I can find an affordable Kitmaster Beyer-Garrett, I'd be over the moon, but I lost the built up one I was chasing on eBay (the seller thought that the "locomotive" was missing its running gear, because the cab and boiler were separate from the powered tenders in his mind...), and much as I love the CBK SIG, I baulk at £155 for a pristine model!

Obligatory starting gate shot when all the runners and riders are in my sticky paws.

I think at least some of these can be BR Green -- Al? Anyone? Is that right? But I definitely want some black canvasses to go to work on with the weathering!

bestest,
M.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Matt B's going loco (mostly)...

Post by splash »

The Schools class came in Green/black or just Black.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

mattbacon wrote:I think at least some of these can be BR Green -- Al? Anyone? Is that right? But I definitely want some black canvasses to go to work on with the weathering!
Sound like you've got your own Motive Power Depot under way there Matt. BR Green or Black will be OK, and even regional liveries, e.g. GWR Brunswick Green, or Southern Region experimental blue etc. could be passed off on the display as preserved examples.

Like you I am thinking Black livery on a loco so you can go to town with the weathering - lots of good articles and YouTube videos for guidance and I have Tim Shackleton excellent double DVD set (and his book) on the subject - he only ever uses 3 or 4 tins of Humbrol enamel colours, loads of cheap white spirit for thinners and sits at his garden table to do the spraying!

Cheers
Al.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weathering-Tech ... kleton+dvd;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/071103656X/r ... 4EKM7RHYS1;
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have the Beyer-Garrett, it came dear but not that dear; haven't touched it yet.

The one kit I just could not justify paying for was #23 the French 241P Mountain.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I will enjoy watching the Garrett being built.

Regards Splash
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I doubt you'll get the chance, Splash, unless John builds his or I get exceptionally lucky in a charity shop!

Thanks, Al... I picked up that book a couple of weeks back, and it's my main source of inspiration... I think he's got a new one coming out soon, as well...

Bestest,
M.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

mattbacon wrote:I doubt you'll get the chance, Splash, unless John builds his or I get exceptionally lucky in a charity shop!

Thanks, Al... I picked up that book a couple of weeks back, and it's my main source of inspiration... I think he's got a new one coming out soon, as well...

Bestest,
M.
:cry:
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

OK, it begins!

Well, here's a pile of unusual stuff for me. What fun!

Lets start with an easy one ;-P

Nicely moulded parts, not much flash. What could possibly go wrong...?

Can't find a picture of a real one in service in 1965 in colour, so I'm going with mostly black with a red connecting rod and ?reversing gear? rod.

The Game is Afoot!

bestest,
M.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Good luck - and whatever else you need.

PS: I'm sticking to the civil engineering-non-groundwork aspects
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Looking forward to this one Matt. That is an interesting kit that I'd like very much at some point - I just watched one go for £16 on eBay so not too bad as they don't come up very often. I have the Hornby one in Longmoor Military Railway blue livery which is gorgeous and she runs and pulls like a dream.

Black would sound about right for the model, and is a perfect opportunity for some weathering, even as seen in the many black and white photos on the interweb. Designed by Riddles and often known as the Austerity Class J94. Many ended up in industrial use so you are spoiled for choice livery wise if black doesn't float your boast however.

Might be worth looking on eBay for a motorised chassis in Hornby spare/repairs etc. which you could then adorn with your model body Matt :lol:

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oooh, I can't see where a build of that little beasty could go wrong Matt :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Finally some progress to report...

Handrails replaced with plastic rod. On a future build I may try drilling them for brass rod, but this'll be OK under a coat of paint, I reckon.

Cabin jigged up on the chassis. I wanted to build it up in parts that could be painted inside as needed, and then paint the whole thing after final assembly.

Probably overdone, but I'm enjoying this bit! Citadel paints and washes, drybrushing, Humbrol Rust weathering powder...

Interior done, I reckon.

I'm leaving the roof as a press fit for the moment, so I can take out the masking tape that's blocking all the windows at the moment.

Sprayed black tonight, so let's see how she looks in the morning. Now, does anyone know how "Methfix" transfers are likely to affect Halfords Satin Black paint?

bestest,
M.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice work Matt, I think the cabin looks spot on and the hand rails totally change the look of the kit.

Regards Splash
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I think this one is now more or less done, build wise. I'm waiting on some normal decals (the kit ones are dead, and the "Methfix" generics I bought eat the paint ;-P). Al has pointed me in the direction of proper transfers, and they should arrive next week. Then I can get on with the fun stuff and have at the weathering!

bestest,
M.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Matt that looks so good it's almost a shame to weather it. Having said that it will look stunning once weathered.

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”