Shaun's builds

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Shaun's builds

Post by Ratch »

Excellent work Shaun :razz:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
TomW

Post by TomW »

Cor blimey that's a bit special Shaun 8-)

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Quite simply stunning Shaun.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks boys. I've just got back from our summer hols so I'm playing catch up. There are one or two finishing touches, which I hope to do today or tomorrow (the lawn is, however, now like a jungle :roll: ). I'll then pop down to the local railway model shop that I didn't know existed until shortly before we went away and see what he's got Dapol wise.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I was about to declare my Class 9F finished and post the "glamour" shots but the camera battery needs charging. A thought has occurred to me though and I can't seem to find much in the way of conclusive evidence as shots of in-service locos seem to all be in black and white (not wholly surprising I suppose given the time period) - should the loco have a red front lower crossmember upon which the buffers are mounted and the tender a red rear crossmember? Colour shots of preserved locos seem to feature such :???:

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I think they were red but as they were work horses and never cleaned, so they finished up very grimy and dirty black.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany

Post by beany »

Agree with Splash, definitely Red to start with then faded - I've seen some almost pink or coral red looking. Not sure about grimy black - depends on their area of use. Many have lighter, earthy, dusty looking weathering. Really it should just match the weathering on the rest of the loco.
Cheers
Al.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This one looks nice.

http://api.ning.com/files/OsG-NixX39eEr ... C_0161.JPG

and this one

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7048/6922 ... ae01_b.jpg

I suspect all the black grime fhas come from when they clean out the smoke box.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany

Post by beany »

Beautiful pictures Splash - definitely see what you mean about the grimy black (Revell No.9 Anthracite Grey?) - the first picture looks like there is a seagull trapped inside the smoke box!!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks boys and those are great photos Splash - and they also show I've missed a steam pipe off the front :roll: . I'll paint the crossmembers up a quite heavily weathered red, but red nevertheless, as I haven't gone for a very heavily weathered engine. I've noticed the white "seagull effect" streaks on a number of photos, but have to admit that I ultimately bottled out of it :ha:

So I'm not quite finished yet then!

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Right, I'm now declaring this finished. I painted up the loco front and tender rear crossmembers using Revell 36 matt red, which was then weathered with a dry brush of Tamiya NATO Black. In addition, I also carried out a bit more careful dry brushing of the tender coal and the loco using Tamiya Sky Grey.

All in all a very enjoyable project and I have a feeling that this will not be my last loco build.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Here at last are my next two builds for this display, the Dapol Booking Office and Signal Gantry. My man at the Featherstone Model Railway Shop kindly let me have the pair for the princely sum of £7.00, which is a bit of a bargain. The kiosk and platform accessories kits should be here next week. This guy and his shop have been a real find. Service is perhaps not the quickest but he is a great bloke and gets there in the end.

I don't intend to go overboard with additional detailing as time is getting tight now and will treat these, especially the building, as an interesting painting and weathering exercise. Once again this project has taken me right out of my modelling comfort zone as I've never built anything like this before. Best get cracking then!

IPMS#12300
TomW

Post by TomW »

Good to see they've arrived on the bench Shaun. The Airfix/Dapol buildings are stunningly simple to build but the trick is definitely in making them come alive with the paintwork. Good luck :grin:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers Tom, hopefully my painting will be up to scratch and won't kill them stone dead :ha:

I decided to start with the booking hall and here's what's in the pack - a bunch of nicely moulded components with little flash and decent enough detail:

Also included are advertising posters for the billboards at the sides of the building and a clock face for the front clock. I'm not sure what "suitable adhesive" I'll use to attach my chosen posters and the clock face, possibly PVA.

Dapol also thoughtfully include a couple of small sheets of clear acetate with which to glaze the windows.

And we're off. I didn't have a great deal of time this arvo but I did manage to fit the doors. Fit wasn't brilliant and some filler was required, together with the insertion of some plastic strip at the door tops as they were all a little short. I also decided to add a small porch at the rear using an off-cut of plastic card to keep a little of the good old British weather off the punters as they struggle to open the rather poorly fitted doors :ha:

Thinking ahead, I might try to insert the window frames after main painting and before I fit the roof as I intend them to be white and I think fitting them later will make painting them less of a chore. I'll do a dry fit etc before making a final decision.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

You've done well to get one kit with so little flash and crap to have to dig out and off the parts. I spent hours cleaning up parts for both the pub and the windmill. Splash has also sent me his second crane which I am cracking into this week, and that too has taken a while to dig some of the parts out of the flash.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”