Labels

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Labels

Post by mattbacon »

I'm sure most visitors to SMW can recognise a Spitfire, Phantom, or Tiger tank. I'm less sure about a Schools Class versus a Mogul, for example. We also want to emphasise that all the models on display are Classic British Kits, not simply scenery or rolling stock on a model railway! So, I think it would be more than usually useful to have labels for all the display items. I'm happy to create and run them out, if we're agreed that they would be a good idea.

These are some options. The basic questions are:
One consistent logo or manufacturer logo?
How much "history" on the label -- do we just go for the origin manufacturer, or "This is a Dapol kit which was taken over from Airfix and originally tooled by Kitmaster"
Basically white labels or colour? Black for the writing or colours based on manufacturer logos.
Font -- these are two that I like for legibility. The Gill Sans is very "railway", the Optima slightly more modern-style

Any and all comments gratefully received, including "why do we need labels at all?"

bestest,
M.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Labels

Post by splash »

that's a hard choice as I like them all.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I like the top one, clean & simple - bring some blanks (with logo) to hand letter if needed.
For re-pops, the 2nd line could read using the Mogul, "Airfix, from Kitmaster 1964" or the Church, "Dapol, from Airfix 1957", although this makes it unclear it the date refers to the original or the re-pop.

Good idea.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Nice one Matt - those are exactly the kind of thing I had in mind as alluded to in my sketch for the backboard.
My preferences would be
mattbacon wrote:The basic questions are:

One consistent logo or manufacturer logo?................Manufacturers logo

How much "history" on the label -- do we just go for the origin manufacturer, or "This is a Dapol kit which was taken over from Airfix and originally tooled by Kitmaster".................The 2nd one!

Basically white labels or colour? ............... COLOUR

Black for the writing or colours based on manufacturer logos. .................SEE PREVIOUS ANSWER

Font -- these are two that I like for legibility. The Gill Sans is very "railway", the Optima slightly more modern-style. .............Gotta love Gill Sans
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Most excellent Matt. Firstly I would say we need labels period, they will make such a difference and will help avoid too many questions along the lines of "who made this one mate?" etc.

My input to your questions:

I like all of the options that you have come up with but prefer the manufacturer's logos - I presume we will not fall foul of any copyright regs :grin:

Put a bit of history on, it all adds to the presentation - unless you feel that to do so makes the labels too large.

Colour of labels I will leave to your discretion/general consensus of the other CBK Members - colour is fine as long as it's not too garish IMHO - I must admit that I am a bit of a black and white guy with this sort of thing, but I'll go with the flow.

Colour of writing - as above.

Gill Sans for the font.

Great stuff and huge thanks for taking this aspect on.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm OK with manufacturer logo/name.
I remain a white label guy.
I think a complete but brief history so Al's long (This is a Dapol kit which was taken over from Airfix and originally tooled by Kitmaster) one might be: Dapol, from Airfix, from Kitmaster (date).

Will someone there be doing them all, or do you want us to include a label with what we send over ? Or at least the info for the label ? Or do you know it already ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”