Marky's F-15 **FINISHED** and C-5 What-If's **FINISHED**

Aircraft in non-historic markings or just didn't exist but could have ... or something ...
Runs January 31st to March 1st. Your host & GBL is Martin R.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's F-15 **FINISHED** and C-5 What-If's **FINISHED**

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, another 'Pics to follow', but my choices are:-
Choice A:- McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle, 92 Squadron RAF 1989, replacing the Squadrons Lightnings in 1988 the Eagle's were all A model's refurbished and supplied under a lease agreement until 1992. The Tornado had only ever been developed as a Ground Attack/Reconnaissance/Maritime Strike aircraft and no Fighter models were agreed on by the partner nations. Until the fruition of the EFA/EAP aircraft the RAF decided on Eagles to fill the gap. (Airfix A/B 1/72nd kit)
Choice B:- Lockheed C-5 Galaxy (Galaxy C.1). With the restart of the Galaxy production line in the US during the early 1980's, interest in the B model was shown by Britain and the Saudi governments. The RAF was to take delivery of three and the Saudi's six. With the Saudi order the cost reduced enough for another to be added to the RAF order from 1988, three years after the B model production began. The RAF version would have UK equipment added as well as a Refuelling probe to allow both Hose and Drogue and Flying Boom refuelling. Two Galaxy's were regular visitors to the Falklands to aid in the ongoing construction and maintenance of Mount Pleasant airfield and to bolster supplies to the islanders from 1986. (Revell C-5B kit or an 'A' modified!, 1/144th)
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Martin R

Re: Marky's F-15 and C-5 What-If's

Post by Martin R »

Nice to have you along, Mark. Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

I have a confession to make: I quite fancy the idea of doing a AC-5C gunship What if. There should be room for some serious firepower in there!
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Martin R wrote:I have a confession to make: I quite fancy the idea of doing a AC-5C gunship What if. There should be room for some serious firepower in there!
:drool2:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Update on the C-5 and F-15 what-if's. Not too much done, the Eagle has it's intakes and horizontal tails on but not much else!. Intakes smoothed over. The Galaxy has it's wheels on, well four-fifths, one of the legs that the wheel set attaches to broke. Nothing to do with me glueing it on slightly wonky and trying to bend it straight. Nothing at all.... :oops:
Don't seem to have done a pic for the Eagle, oops, will sort one out when there's a little more to report.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Progress so far, the Eagle is on her wheels but not much else done although she is close to the point where I can slap on some blue paint on the tail for 92 Squadron!. :grin: . The Galaxy is a little more along although I've been concentrating on the fuselage so much I forgot I hadn't done the wings!.. or tailplanes!.. :oops: . To make it more of a 'British' C-5 I thought of putting the engines from my Revell 747-400, I think they are Trent's or RB211's?.
Otherwise it seems to be more of a simply paint and markings change.
I also thought that a refuelling probe would be an idea but then the RAF would need something to refuel it with a Flying Boom. Would they do this or would the Galaxy get to the Falklands or the Middle East without it from the UK?. They could lease some KC-135's or I thought of adding a Flying Boom to the Tristar that they had in service in the 80's when the C-5 might have been bought, perhaps three or four conversions?. Any opinions?.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

I'd go refuelling probe on the C-5, just because it would cool, behind a Vc-10.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I second that Jagewa :), Nice looking models mate!
Cant wait to see more.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My vote would be for a boom only because its as British as Fish and Chips.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

That's what I thought!!. Okay, boom/probe hunting we shall go!!. :grin:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Nice to see a bit of British-ication going on. Like the idea of the RR engines, too!

regards,

Martin
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, thanks Martin. Yes, I wanted to make it more of a British version of the C-5 rather than just bought and repainted sort of thing. Somewhat ironically the engines came from a Boeing 747-400!!. They are stated as being RB.211's on the box and actually look okay. The pylons were sooo close to fitting without adjustment. I just had to put so fine sandpaper on the C-5 wing and sand the 747 engines along it to make it match. Refuelling probe also started although as the C-5's receptacle for the boom is dead centre on top the probe pipe is offset to starboard.
Pics soon.
P.S. The F-15 now has blue tails and red/yellow squares on the fin tip ala 92 squadron. Nearly there with this one, decals sourced.. :grin:
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

I saw "C-5" and my initial thought was one of these...

"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Brickie wrote:I saw "C-5" and my initial thought was one of these...

:roll:
Where would I put a refuelling probe on that?!?. :grin:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

MarkyM607 wrote:Hi, thanks Martin. Yes, I wanted to make it more of a British version of the C-5 rather than just bought and repainted sort of thing. Somewhat ironically the engines came from a Boeing 747-400!!. They are stated as being RB.211's on the box and actually look okay. The pylons were sooo close to fitting without adjustment. I just had to put so fine sandpaper on the C-5 wing and sand the 747 engines along it to make it match. Refuelling probe also started although as the C-5's receptacle for the boom is dead centre on top the probe pipe is offset to starboard.
Pics soon.
P.S. The F-15 now has blue tails and red/yellow squares on the fin tip ala 92 squadron. Nearly there with this one, decals sourced.. :grin:
Mark,

So, given the re-engining on the C-5, what's the F-15 got? RB199s? Speys? :shock:

Yeah, I know we just leased them in the back story, but . . . :-D

regards,

Martin
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Martin R wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Hi, thanks Martin. Yes, I wanted to make it more of a British version of the C-5 rather than just bought and repainted sort of thing. Somewhat ironically the engines came from a Boeing 747-400!!. They are stated as being RB.211's on the box and actually look okay. The pylons were sooo close to fitting without adjustment. I just had to put so fine sandpaper on the C-5 wing and sand the 747 engines along it to make it match. Refuelling probe also started although as the C-5's receptacle for the boom is dead centre on top the probe pipe is offset to starboard.
Pics soon.
Mark,

So, given the re-engining on the C-5, what's the F-15 got? RB199s? Speys? :shock:

Yeah, I know we just leased them in the back story, but . . . :-D

regards,

Martin
Ummm, it's got what it would be built with!!. Could have changed the exhausts but harder to alter the profile of the aft end!!. Interesting idea though. :grin:

Return to “What If ? Aircraft”