Daz's Lottery Spitfire - NON-RUNNER

Aircraft in non-historic markings or just didn't exist but could have ... or something ...
Runs January 31st to March 1st. Your host & GBL is Martin R.
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Daz's Lottery Spitfire - NON-RUNNER

Post by DazDaMan »

In March 2015, Lady Luck smiled upon Daren "DazDaMan" Cogdon, and he scooped over £30million on the EuroMillions Lottery. Quitting his job of almost three years, he at first did what any lottery-winning single man would do, and blew a small portion of it on cars (at last count, he had three Aston Martins!), a six-bedroom equestrian property in the south of England and, lastly, one thing he had dreamt of since he was about ten years old:

A Spitfire.

As soon as he acquired the Spitfire project, a Mk.XVIE, from its previous owners, he had it shipped to the Aircraft Restoration Company based at Duxford, who went to work restoring the aeroplane to its former glory. While this work went on, Daren learned to fly on Chipmunks and Harvards, eventually going solo on ARCo's own Spitfire Tr.9 just a week before his own aircraft took flight again.

The aircraft, Lf.XVIe SL611 (registered G-DAZC), originally crashed into a hillside back in the 1950s, but was recovered some time later and stored as a possible restoration project in the Southampton area before being acquired by its current owner. ARCo then spent three years rebuilding the airframe, whilst incorporating as many original components as possible into the new-built aircraft. The Spitfire wears Daren's initials in the style of an RAF Wing Commander, complete with the appropriate rank pennant and a set of spurious kill markings below the windscreen.

That's the story, so what about the kit?

Well, it's going to be this one:

I like this one. Of the three 1/48th Mk.XVI kits I've built in recent times, this one is my clear favourite. It's easy enough to put together, and looks nice enough "as is" without modification.

Believe it or not, there actually IS a Spitfire SL611, and it is indeed stored in the UK as a possible restoration project. All I need are my numbers to come up.... ;-)
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Martin R

Re: Daz's Lottery Spitfire

Post by Martin R »

Well I can't deny it is a "what if?" And a very pleasant one too.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I did say it was a bit simple.... :sad:
Daren

Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Haha cracking idea Wing Commander Sir!

I did that once with a learjet model, personalised reg code.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Sorry, chaps, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull out of this one.
Daren

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

DazDaMan wrote:Sorry, chaps, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull out of this one.
Sorry to hear that, Daz. Hope all is OK.
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."

Return to “What If ? Aircraft”