August's Flying Wing Fighter

Any of the German Jets of WW2, real or whatever ....
Runs January 31st to March 1st. Your host & GBL is TobyC.
K5083
Active Participant

August's Flying Wing Fighter

Post by K5083 »

I decided to jump in with the PM Horton 229.

Many of you have seen this kit but it bears comparison with the Revells that a couple of you other guys are building. The PM kit consists of basically two big pieces, a sprue of a dozen minor parts, and a thick but reasonably clear canopy. And some useless decals.

I am interested in doing something like the Horton IX prototype so I will remove the guns and paint it as much like the prototypes as I can.

I guess we won't need to worry about these Horten kits being tail-sitters. The rear gear were so far aft that I don't see how the aircraft could have rotated on takeoff. In fact the front wheel, whose giant size I had always wondered about, must really have been the "main" gear in the sense of being first to touch down, likely last to lift off, and bearing most of the aircraft weight. The plane was also larger than I expected.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: August's Flying Wing Fighter

Post by TobyC »

Well that's a new one to me kitwise. I admire your bravery as in my experience PM kits are well different ;-)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
iggie

Post by iggie »

You have my admiration as well; not a good brand in my experience!

Will look forward to seeing a successful outcome!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

It will be interesting to see haw it compares to the Revell kit.

I have seen these for sale on Ebay but avoided them as I too have had terrible experiences with PM kits.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

First of course was the cockpit. Based on photos, the decor of the Horten IX cockpit was complex, with terrible feng shui but a cool steampunk chic. Lots of structural tubing, wiring and plumbing. I added sides, headrest and belts to the bench seat provided, made some faux cockpit sides with a modest amount of pseudo detail, and did a typical instrument panel (not shown). I may plop in a stick later. That hole in the floor that looks like where a stick should go is actually for the nosewheel strut to come up through the wheel bay, and I don't want to block that by putting a stick there now.

Now came major assembly. Here I stand in awe of how many fit problems the crack engineers at PM could design into a two-piece kit. The mating surfaces do not mate and the top and bottom of the plane are only approximately the same shape. If the central area is aligned, one wing's halves are 2mm out of alignment and the other is 1mm out.

On my sample, the wings were also warped so that cementing them together will be a multi-step process, working from the center outward, to make them straight. A lot of trimming, reshaping and filling is in store after that.

August
iggie

Post by iggie »

Old_Tonto wrote:It will be interesting to see haw it compares to the Revell kit.
I've built the Revell one; it's a LOT better than this :-D :-D :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Yes I think I will stick with the Revell kit. :lol:

Stick with it August.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

You're a very brave man. My last attempt at a PM kit hopefully is deep in a landfill where it can't do any damage ;-)
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I have enjoyed the PM kits I have built, the dfs 194 is a lovely little kit, but this looks like a challenge...
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have built a lot of PM kits and they very from not bad to unbuildable, I have built one of these and for the price they aren't bad and will look like a Horton when built.

The main Man behind PM models unfortunately passed away recently and they have appear to have stopped producing plastic kits.

Airfix and Matchbox at one stage re-boxed PM kits the two types of Sea Fury was two of them, so you might have built a PM kit without realising it.

Good luck with your build it's looking good.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Thank you guys. My wings are now all cemented together and after some reshaping, should look okay. This is the second-roughest of the PM kits I have built. Their Sea Fury and Twin Beech were both adequate kits, especially when they were the only options out there. On the other hand their Ta 154 was a nightmare, which I chucked without finishing.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

This will be an DNFOT, as I experienced home heating problems in late February and had to do some triage on which GB project to get done by the deadline. My P-47 won out and, though work has now resumed on this kit, obviously it is late. If this thread locks, further progress will be seen on my workbench thread.

Since the last report, I have sanded the wings - well, that is, the whole model - and it is ready for primer. After that I'll have to decide what color it will be. The other Hortens done for the GB have set a high bar, both for creativity and execution of color schemes.

August
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Oh that's a shame. Look forward to the end result anyway.

Return to “German Jets of WW2”