Marky's Mark.VI *** FINISHED ***

The Avro Lancaster - any kit, scale, markings, etc ...
Runs about 6 weeks from 28 February through 12 April and your hosts are Lancfan, Sir T, with jRatz as needed.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marky's Mark.VI

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:Although it is a brilliant idea, wonder how long it would take?..... ;-)
Too many of the responses to my crazy idea seem at least partially serious, so I have to ask: Gentlemen, are we really considering something this mad? Even with the proposal to do one plane from each squadron, we're looking at dozens of heavies. If any of us are serious, we need to start getting organised, and we need to do it in another thread somewhere else...
By implication, I'd be in, of course :roll:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Sorry for the lack of updates, had three GB's on the go at once!!. Here is the Lanc Mk.VI as she is now. Note the hand painted stripes on the tail fins, twenty-four on each side!!. Took about eight goes to get this far so am stopping while I am ahead.!!
Here are the Merlin 85's with their scratch built propellor hubs, not sure if they are 100% accurate but had a hard time finding pics and went mostly by the artwork I am basing this build on. I do have metal prop blades to go on although these are pointy ended rather than rounded I am going with them!.Image
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Pics to follow!!.
Since the ones above I have completed painting and decals for the sides and upper surfaces. I have had to build yet another propeller hub as I broke another one, the decals were either replaced or new ones found to complete the aircraft I am modelling. The kit wing walk markings went on fine but had lots of silvering even over gloss varnish and then having micro set over them so I removed them and am attempting to paint them!!.
The codes I have from an AM sheet were seriously thin, so much so that only four of the six went on without breaking. I have repainted two of them anyway as they were the wrong shape.
Oh and on side of the port undercarriage leg has snapped under decalling efforts. Sigh. Still, week or so left, should beat it into shape and probably submission.
More later... :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Pics as promised!!. She is almost done, just the propellers and the painting of same to do, along with the aerial wires which I will leave till last. Just going to squeeze this in the deadline I think!!.
And a slightly blurry pic showing the repairs to the rear turret which I managed to break the guns off of.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just in case anyone's still following this here she is, finished and ready for ops.
Avro Lancaster Mk.VI, 635 Squadron, Downham Market late 1944.
ImageImageImage
And a shot showing the two port engines, a bit more faired in and uniform in shape. Also visible is the scratch built prop hubs, the blades are from the Flightpath Merlin 85 engine set. You also get metal spinners but this version didn't often fit them.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Marky's Mark.VI *** FINISHED ***

Post by lancfan »

Brilliant job Mark.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks mate!, very pleased with her myself. The engines took some work and the removal of the top turret was a little work but otherwise fine. As she has no nose art I'm thinking of applying some, possibly related to the fact that she seems to have a little 'hump' just behind the top turret. I don't think I got rid of the fairing properly which is part of the fuselage on the Airfix kit.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

That came out really well and looks very different from the regular Lancaster. Nice work.

David
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks Dwomby, have to check the nose as the four blade props make me keep thinking it's a Lincoln!. :grin:
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Nice work on an interesting variant! 8-)
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks!, not much difference or so it seems at first then the four blade props catch your eye and then the engines. Worth doing, although the engine set is nearly £20!. :grin: (might need one if I succumb to Splash and others prodding to do the Mamba engine test version which was also a Mk.VI).

Return to “Avro Lancaster”