A double-build: Airfix n/t B.II and B.I/III *** DNF ***

The Avro Lancaster - any kit, scale, markings, etc ...
Runs about 6 weeks from 28 February through 12 April and your hosts are Lancfan, Sir T, with jRatz as needed.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

A double-build: Airfix n/t B.II and B.I/III *** DNF ***

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Just to reserve a spot, here's what I basically posted in Chat, nothing has changed.

I will be in, two barely started (mostly interior paint) kits, both Airfix new-tool -- the B.II, and the B.III Dambuster done OOB as a regular B.I/III - the parts are there just not the instructions, not that it's difficult to figure out.

These are two kits I started in the Aviation forum back in Nov/Dec of 2013 here.

I have aftermarket decals for both and I haven't made any decisions in that regard, or if I have I've forgotten it. I have some Eduard PE but am undecided how much, if any, might be used - I am about done with that phase of my hobby. I also have a couple of the Re-Supply sets so I can have some bombs. Both of these will be built on the ground, bays open, or at least I think so - that's a lot of shelf space.

I will be a few days late (re-)starting these, possibly not until Thursday/Friday ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: A double-build: Airfix n/t B.II and B.I/III

Post by Stuart »

Looking forward to seeing both of these come together John.

I re-read your earlier thread - I've noted the error you found on the instructions.

On the B.II, are you planning the version with or without the belly guns?

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I don't remember .... I'll have to look at my notes when I get home.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have been looking at my decals and things, I have a Xtradecal sheet of each, so ...

From X72-098 Ton-up Lancasters, I'll do R5856/PO-S of 467 Sqn, RAAF in 1945 markings with the yellow surround to the codes.
and
From X72-176 Lancaster B.II, I'll do DS708/EQ-G of 408 Sqn RCAF in June 1944 - this allows me to use the bulged bomb-bay & ventral turret.

There, that is out of the way .... All I have now to do is pick the green, brown, and black to go with them :grin:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

It's a slow re-start, but it is a restart ....

I have gotten both kits out, cleared a space for them, selected the markings, made note of the options ....

Here's as far as I got - black & green painted "everywhere" and the floor/spars assembled in both.

For the most part I'll be proceeding in parallel as I build.

I have also uncovered the Resupply sets and will have to get them organized - later, it was always my plan to build these with bomb bays open but empty so I could display them with the Resupply stuff, but I may change that and part load them up.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I was planning on doing the same - having the baydoors open so it xould bedisplayed with a re-supply set if I get one (still think its a damn cheek though)

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, I am working on the cockpit - again, I decided not to use the Eduard PE. I thought it interesting that Eduard does not supply seat belts, I guess assuming you'll use the pilot figure (although where the rest of the crew is hiding I'm not sure).

As to green/black, I've followed the kit instructions, right or wrong. I do find it interesting that the Datafile interior artwork has all the walls & etc, in green and only the various instrument panels & such in black.

Now can someone discuss the painting over of all the little fuselage windows ? My Xtradecal profiles for my selected aircraft indicate most all are painted over (not blanked out) except a few bigger ones forward. It would seem that earlier ships had clear windows, both mine are early marks (I,II) but in 44 or later marking .... Life would be so much easier if they could be painted over ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Windows are in both fuselages while I futz with the seats and things ....

All the windows fit great except the right front (H13 I think). It must be fit from the outside and a bit of trimming of the frame is needed.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, I fondled PE again today and decided to use the flat colorful simple pieces and only where it might be visible.

So here are the fuselage halves waiting the flooring, spars, and cockpit details.

There is an identical set for the other aircraft. I'll be just showing one aircraft until things happen that are different between them.

Lancfan is rubbing off -- can you spot my conversion ? Yes, there it is, I folded up the 2nd pilot seat ! (Do have some touch-up yet.)

Anyway, should be doing seatbelts & etc, then looking to button them both up tomorrow or Sunday. Depends on how much I add to the IPs in the way of knobs & levers.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

A productive couple days.

and then ready to button up ... The steps on page 3 of both, following the options you want - turret, H2S, etc - need be watched carefully and a couple of the parts need a good test fit before getting to gluing. For some strange reason these are assembled into the left fuselage but there is an alignment tab in the right - I did it the smart way. Be sure these are well glued and straight as you won't have a chance to correct anything once the halves are joined.

And, buttoned up. I used the Tenax & Mk.IV Thumb & Finger clamp, working my way down and around the fuselage. I had trouble with the IP because I used the Eduard set making it a bit to thick to sit comfortably.

You may note some empty areas - if it cannot be seen clearly it doesn't need detail - thus the empty nav table and such, some baren walls, etc ....

Anyway, next couple days will be some joint clean-up plus build up the gear well ribs & such - the spars sticking out are vulnerable to clumsy modelers ....
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Those are looking great John and thanks for the tips - I've not been able to get mine much past the starting blocks so far - too busy with real life stuff.

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Great work and some handy pointers for when mine (eventually) leaves the box....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Another tip ... don't go all Type A and pre-paint everything like I did.

The paint, well done I might add, is just enough to prevent the 4 ribs on each side from slotting nicely into the spars. I had to open up all the slots in the spars. I still have one of the boys to do yet.
WheresMyMojo
Getting well comfy!

Post by WheresMyMojo »

I'm seriously impressed that you're building TWO Lancasters, more so as you're using the new tools with higher parts count and PE as well!

I was very tempted to join in this build but knew I wouldn't be able to finish mine in six weeks at my work-rate; I must add that this GB has inspired me to restart my modeling though.
Graham

The...errr...modeler...formerly known as 'chuffchuff'
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Ribs on and I have started cleaning the fuselage seams.

Off to a show in S.Carolina & a day or so sightseeing, so there won't be an update until mid week probably.

Give me time to think about how Lancfan painted his and what I want to do (probably copy-cat :) )

Return to “Avro Lancaster”