Dazzled's African Mig ++DNF++

Modelling any subject from a "lesser represented" country; which is not a value judgment. Kits may be any scale or subject but you must sign-up and have your country and subject approved. You may build any number of models or countries, but there may be only one modeler per country !!!
GB runs 4 Apr - 3 May; your host is fredk.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's African Mig ++DNF++

Post by Dazzled »

Well you all knew it'd be a Mig of some sort didn't you?

This time it's a Mig-21MF from the Ugandan Air Force circa 1976, depicting an aircraft destroyed during the raid on Entebbe by Israeli commandos. My original plan had been to do a camouflaged aircraft from the Malian Air Force using Berna's African Mig's decal sheet. Unfortunately, despite their reputation for producing very nice decals, Berna fall a bit short on references and instructions. The vague paint idents are irritating, but not impossible to overcome, but the lack of a 3-view of the aircraft makes life very difficult. They give decals for 3 different Malian aircraft but only represent each one with a single side-view so no way of knowing the camouflage pattern or exact placement of markings, particularly on the wings. I've tried other sources for information but, this time, I've had to admit defeat :frown: .

So, Uganda it is. And this is what I'm working with.

I'm using Fujimi's Mig-21bis as the base kit. The MF was the export version of the bis and they are externally identical unless you are modelling a very late bis-SAU which has a couple of extra antennae. I'm not, so this isn't an issue.

I've also got the aforementioned Berna decal sheet and I'll be using my ever reliable copy of Planes and Pilots 12 - Mig-21 Fishbed (1955-2010) for reference.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
TobyC

Re: Dazzled's African Mig

Post by TobyC »

I can't belive you're doing a Mig. Are you unwell? ;-)
Nice choice. Have you built the Revell one yet?
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

TobyC wrote:I can't belive you're doing a Mig. Are you unwell? ;-)
Nice choice. Have you built the Revell one yet?
Not yet Toby.

I do have 3 in the stash though 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Nice choice Daz. The Fujimi is a great kit.

I didn't know that the MF & Bis are externally the same so thanks for the info.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
TomW

Post by TomW »

Ooo I spy Angolan markings on that sheet too, I believe the scheme is the same as applied to my Su-20.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
fredk

Post by fredk »

Have you had a chance to get started on this yet?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I have indeed Fred. Just been devilishly busy lately. Will post an update in the next couple of days.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Daz. I have just been reading MiG-21 in Action by Squadron\Signal and it shows that the spine is wider and tapers further back on the Bis than on the MF.
See this image:

I think the MF was the export version of the MiG-21SM.
Hope this doesn't scupper your plans.
Current Projects:
Marek

Post by Marek »

The other way would be harder to adjust, bringing bis' spine to MF standard does not look that daunting.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Or you could just buy the Quickboost spine which looks really nice and I think is designed for the Fujimi MiG-21.
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/R ... 231/01.jpg
Current Projects:
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Time for a second rethink perhaps. The spine is already attached.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Confused?

You will be. I know I am.

After much poring over books on all things Mig, with particular focus on -21s and much rifling through that t'Internet thingy, I think I have a reason for my initial confusion. The main clue came from OKB Mig: A history of the design bureau and it's aircraft with some help from my Plane's and Pilots:Mig-21 book.

You are correct OT. The MF did have a skinnier spine, but only to start with and this is where the confusion occurs. During development of the later Mig-21s the company played around quite a bit with fuel tankage and electronic equipment. The focus for much of these adaptations was the dorsal spine that grew, shrunk and changed shape quite a number of times. Not all of these were successful however and to understand them it is first necessary to explain part of the type's timeline.

After the -PFM series Mig produced the Mig-21M with a full length continuous narrow spine. The -M was a short-lived variant that quickly gave way to the improved but outwardly similar -MF. During -MF production a lot of dorsal spine mods were tried in order to increase range and electronic equipment and this resulted in -MFs with a "fat" spine similar, but not identical to that seen on the -bis. These -MFs were followed by what seemed to be a logical progression i.e. an aircraft with a greatly enlarged spine...... the Mig-21SMT. This aircraft wasn't as good as was hoped as the bulged spine caused lateral instability when full of fuel so the designers reverted to a slightly extended version of the "fat" spine as seen on later -MFs while retaining the -SMTs improved engine and avionics. This aircraft was, of course, the-bis.

This is, I'm certain, as clear as mud to most people. Even I have difficulty getting my head around it, but pictures don't lie and I do have a picture of -MFs on a production line being built with "fat" spines while others are in the factory being modified thus. To make it even more confusing -MFs were being produced like this under licence (notably in India) while the -bis was also in production.

The only difference between these 2 types is that the spine on the -bis extends a little further along the base of the fin. The following picture makes this a little clearer, I hope.

The aircraft in the front is a -bis, while the one behind is a late model -MF. You can clearly see the larger spine on the rear one but it tapers off further forward on the fin than the one in front of it.

So, it's down to the individual aircraft and again, I'm afraid, Berna are no help at all as far as references are concerned. Unfortunately I can't find any pictures of the aircraft I want to build so I've had to cast around a bit for a way ahead. This came from a bit of lateral thinking about my original plan for a Malian Air Force machine. A change of search terms, casting a wider net enabled me to find a site for a company called JBr decals who produce an African Mig-21 sheet including 2 from Mali. One of these has the same camouflage scheme as one of those offered by Berna. Better still, JBr's website gives colour 3-views of all the aircraft on their sheet and while the one I'm interested in is an -MF I can transpose the identical camouflage pattern directly onto my -bis.

In all honesty, I would never have been able to make even a remotely accurate guess at the opposite side/upper camouflage as it's so random.

All I need to do now is choose paint colours and break it to Fred that I've had another change of plan ;-)

And I have started building. In fact I started building over a week ago but haven't had time to update this thread. So here's what I've done so far.

First a bit of interior parts prep. Out with the Metalcote and barf turquoise...

Fujimi's cockpit is pretty good straight from the box. Certainly adequate enough to live under a closed canopy...

Some weight was required in the nose. I find roofing lead quite good for this. Suitably battered into shape, of course...

Then everything was closed up. Liquid poly and an overnight clamping did the job...

Assembly advanced pretty rapidly after that...

Although there were some surprising fit issues and a sink mark in the nose. Both Vallejo putty (thanks Ratch) and Squadron Green were required.

I forgot to open up the slots for the pylons :oops: but holding the model up to a light source made the wings adequately transparent to mark these out and removed the offending styrene. Then the pylons went on too.

And, as you can see, the blast deflectors and small intakes are also on.

Hopefully, I'll get a bit more done before Monday.

Darryl 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Marek

Post by Marek »

Nice work and quick! I have not built this kit but I like the looks of it.
philp

Post by philp »

Thanks for the Mig explanation. It does help.
I have a couple of the Fujimi kits in the stash as well as the earlier Revell version. All of mine will be small air forces, probably North Vietnam, Egypt and Syria but I have lots of -21 decals and that tiger striped Indian one looks awful tempting.

Build is coming along nicely.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Dazzled wrote:All I need to do now is choose paint colours and break it to Fred that I've had another change of plan ;-)
Some weight was required in the nose. I find roofing lead quite good for this. Suitably battered into shape, of course...)
mmmm, now theres an idea
:lol:
That looks very smart
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Lesser Known Forces”