Dazzled's African Mig ++DNF++

Modelling any subject from a "lesser represented" country; which is not a value judgment. Kits may be any scale or subject but you must sign-up and have your country and subject approved. You may build any number of models or countries, but there may be only one modeler per country !!!
GB runs 4 Apr - 3 May; your host is fredk.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's African Mig

Post by Dazzled »

A little update. I'm really struggling for modelling time at the moment. I was planning to build the USS Forrestal for next month's nautical GB but the way my OU studies are now gobbling up my free time I reckon I'll be lucky to finish a rowing boat :frown:

Anyhow, here's how the Mig is doing.

Some paint has gone on the underside, namely two coats of XtracolourX208 enamel.

When this was dry I added some Humbrol Metalcote to the tailpipe area and the intake ring.

Finally, masking is under way.

No photos, but I've also assembled the drop tank and I've liberated some rocket pods from a Hasegawa Mig-27 kit (I'll have to build it now ;-) ) and assembly/painting of these is well under way.

Hopefully, I'll get in another bit of modelling this year :frown:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
fredk

Post by fredk »

Coming in nicely.
Zvezda make a medieval 'lifeboat' rowing boat kit.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm afraid that this one is going to be a DNF :frown:

I have got the first camo colour on.

In all honesty I thought this would happen. I've had a whole month of horribly intense study and have spent the last 3 days sat solidly by my PC producing a 3,000 word report on airport noise. And now it starts again :cry:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
fredk

Post by fredk »

Well, you have the best part of a week yet, including the weekend days; but studies must come before playtime.
No disgrace if its a DNF, you got on very well with it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

fredk wrote:Well, you have the best part of a week yet, including the weekend days; but studies must come before playtime.
No disgrace if its a DNF, you got on very well with it.

Thank you Fred. I'm quite annoyed with the OU as a matter of fact. I'm very good at managing my study time to allow for work and hobbies but for the last couple of months study times have been dictated by a badly designed course that doesn't seem to have allowed for the fact that us students have lives and careers.

I was really looking forward to this one too and the model was coming on so well. It will be finished though. I'll add it into my Big Mig build thread so it will, at least, be in good company. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Marek

Post by Marek »

Dazzled, if we do not get a proper education, models will not interest us anyway! :) Is it a career makeover? Or more training in current one? (OU of Wales, I mean)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's a career overhaul. I'm a mature student studying for a BSc. The idea of the Open University is that you can arrange your own study times so you get to study around work and other commitments. If you time-manage well you still get a life and hobbies. I've been doing this for 5 years now and this is the first time that a module has dictated study timing. Effectively, it's completely against the ethos of the OU.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Marek

Post by Marek »

I am in similar situation now for few years. Little bit of a planned career jump, from geophysics (meteorology, geospatial sciences) to ... project management in business/engineering settings.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Some time has fell into my lap. I did the company a favour and I have the weekend off in return. This was totally unexpected but very welcome :)

It's still going to be a DNF but I was able to get the second camouflage colour on.

All progress is good progress. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

fredk

Post by fredk »

We have two more days; an extension till mid-night Tuesday 5th; will this help you finish?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm afraid not Fred. Two more top colours, masking for aerials, klear, decals, weathering, sealing, undercarriage, detail parts and weapons. It's a bit too much.

Better to defer this until after the nautical GB and my final OU assignment. I have enjoyed this GB though. If I'd had more time I would have attempted a couple of builds. Thanks for leading it :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

fredk

Post by fredk »

Well, no can say you didn't take part and tried.
Studies take precedence, even though they're not as much fun.

Return to “Lesser Known Forces”