Sign-up and Chat

The one you have all been waiting for - Vac(u)-formed kits. Any subject, any kit, so long as the basis of the kit is vac-form (no, you can't enter an injection airplane with a vac-canopy). Started kits are eligible, within reason - this is a learning GB to introduce members the variety of kits, what can be accomplished with them, and to overcome any reluctance to add them to your modeling repertoire.
This is an extended GB, running 4 April to 31 May, and your hosts are Lancfan, SJPONeill, and Splash.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by splash »

I'm sadly going to be a DNF but I have learnt lots of new skills working with vac forms and have started to like and enjoy them.

The Dynavector 1/48 Wyvern kit has been a joy to work on, the design and thought that has gone into it by the designer shows what can be achieved by non mainstream kit manufactures, sadly I think the day of the vac form is coming to an end with the introduction of CAD, 3D printing and resin, the need for vac form kits is nearly at an end.

Not that the end of Vac Forms should be mourned :sad: I look on the bright side, :grin: they are getting cheaper and cheaper as no one wants them, so more for me :-D

I would like to give a big thank you to everyone its been a most enjoyable and very educational GB, I certainly now have a much better understanding of Vac Forms and using Silicon Moulds and resin.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:sadly I think the day of the vac form is coming to an end with the introduction of CAD, 3D printing and resin, the need for vac form kits is nearly at an end.
I'm not so certain. For small parts, resin is clearly the way to go, but for the larger elements like fuselages, I believe vacform would be a better medium (lighter, easier to cement, easier to tweak, no nasty dust (though copious amounts..) ). Also, resin is nasty stuff to work with on anything approaching 'industrial scale'; this might not deter true garage kits, but the moment you have to hire staff, it becomes an issue. 3D printing still has quite a way to go before it becomes production capable (and these printers are either cheap toys or horribly expensive, big, and heavy; the 'real' ones still have a five digit price tag, and arrive in a crate on a pallet). Vacforms will be here for a while yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were still around when the entire industry goes extinct.
I look on the bright side, :grin: they are getting cheaper and cheaper as no one wants them, so more for me :-D
Ah yes, the 'old hand' advantage; we can do thing the young 'uns can only marvel at :twisted: Must admit I've started to look at vacforms in this light myself, and it certainly helps that a large proportion of even the older modelers seem scared out of their wits by these things :-D
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Ah yes, the 'old hand' advantage; we can do thing the young 'uns can only marvel at :twisted: Must admit I've started to look at vacforms in this light myself, and it certainly helps that a large proportion of even the older modelers seem scared out of their wits by these things :-D
Have to admit that after my one and only, I qualify for a place in that large proportion. Admiration and respect to everyone of you that took part in this GB, especially the biplanes. Kudos
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Kitaholic wrote:Have to admit that after my one and only, I qualify for a place in that large proportion. Admiration and respect to everyone of you that took part in this GB, especially the biplanes. Kudos
To be honest, I was at a loss as to how to handle a vacform until this rematch, having been soundly defeated and frustrated by one 25 years ago. Oddly enough, things just sort of fell into place this time.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Time to wrap this up; looks about 50% on completions, but a good introduction to vac-form modeling, so Well Done.

Time to check that all completions are posted to the Gallery of same so I can archive it ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Thank you everyone, I hope you have all enjoyed this GB as much as I have done, we got a good proportion of completions considering the nature of the Vac Form Kit. Hopefully we have shown that they are not at all frightening and are well worth trying out. Finally a thank you to my fellow GBLs Alan and Simon for volunteering to run this with me.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I believe all are in the Gallery, so I'll close tomorrow.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Vac-form Kits”