Sign-up and Chat

The one you have all been waiting for - Vac(u)-formed kits. Any subject, any kit, so long as the basis of the kit is vac-form (no, you can't enter an injection airplane with a vac-canopy). Started kits are eligible, within reason - this is a learning GB to introduce members the variety of kits, what can be accomplished with them, and to overcome any reluctance to add them to your modeling repertoire.
This is an extended GB, running 4 April to 31 May, and your hosts are Lancfan, SJPONeill, and Splash.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This is a GB for vac(u)-form kits, any subject, scale, etc. It is intended to give members a place (encouragement) to start or finish those kits they might have in the stash, or to stick your toe in the water for the first time. It's a GB to learn from.

We are allowing prior started kits within reason. This is to allow those kits where the owner (or previous owner if bought 2nd hand) may have started cutting parts from the backing sheet but got not much farther.

This GB started from a thread here.

It is an extended GB running from April 4th to May 31st; your hosts are Lancfan, SJPONeill, and Splash who will fill in any other info.
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by TomW »

Just a query regarding eligibility of a certain kit. Does this qualify?:

The fuselage is vac-form but the wings are injection plastic, not a problem if it doesn't qualify as I have a second kit lined up to do anyways.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
fredk

Post by fredk »

I'll be coming to the part a bit late-ish. Need to finish off other kits and make room on my desk. Need to choose a kit too.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I probably won't be able to start for three weeks, given my work commitments. I haven't decided what to build yet!
Up in the Great White North
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

TomW wrote:Just a query regarding eligibility of a certain kit. Does this qualify?:

The fuselage is vac-form but the wings are injection plastic, not a problem if it doesn't qualify as I have a second kit lined up to do anyways.

Regards

Tom
Because everyone else will be building wholly vac formed models this doesn't really fit, can you pick the other model please Tom. just a thought- this model could go down well in the Trainer GB later this year.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Hi guys I'm helping out the GB leader, this is a first for me.

I will be the first to put my hands up and say I have very little experience building Vac Form kits with only a couple of builds under my belt, but I'm enthusiastic as this form of modeling opens up a vast range of kits not available from the mainstream manufacturers and as it's not so popular resin kits that have taken over from Vac Form they can be picked up relatively cheap.

I'm jumping in straight in the deep end with a 1/48 scale Wyvern (a big naval single seat a/c )

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

lancfan wrote:Because everyone else will be building wholly vac formed models this doesn't really fit, can you pick the other model please Tom. just a thought- this model could go down well in the Trainer GB later this year.

David.
Hmmm...there goes Plan A...my first choice was the Comet Miniatures TB-1 but on reviewing the contents, I would have to consider it more multimedia than vacform...

I have been going through the stash this afternoon and the current contenders are two, possibly three, large flying boats. I was intending something small but am having trouble locating anything that is not already started i.e. has all the parts cut out. the Formaplane Hind-A was a contender for a while but dropped off once I found the canopy which was about as clear as the windscreen of a contender for the Paris-Dakar...and totally the wrong shape...

The search goes on...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

splash wrote: I'm jumping in straight in the deep end with a 1/48 scale Wyvern (a big naval single seat a/c )

Regards Splash
After your adventures with the Airmodel Mojave, Alan, I think you'll find the Dynavector kit quite refreshing; definitive at the other end of the modelling scale...pretty much everything you will need is in the box...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
TomW

Post by TomW »

lancfan wrote:Because everyone else will be building wholly vac formed models this doesn't really fit, can you pick the other model please Tom. just a thought- this model could go down well in the Trainer GB later this year.

David.
Not a problem David :grin: I've already opened up a thread for my Contrail Tu-128.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'm, on hols next week and then attending Cosford model show, but will pop the polybag on my build on my return, I promise.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Hi Guys,

I really fancy having a go at a vac-form and improving my scratch-building skills, so I'm in.

I have a Rareplanes 1/72 Fairey Fulmar in the Stash and a Supermarine Spiteful on order (looking forward to that one).

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
fredk

Post by fredk »

Right chaps.
1. I have never built a vac kit
2. I have some WW1 jobbies which I'd like to do sometime.
Before I commit myself to building them in this 'ere GB, and end up being committed to the looney bin, some questions;
The wings worry me. Once off the main sheet, should I add a bottom surface or otherwise double skin them? or fill them with some light weight fillers?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I've also got some of those WW1 aircraft with the one piece, upper surface only wings...haven't built one yet but may, if I can find one, in this GB. So far as I can figure from various build reviews, the idea is to lightly skin the undersurface, and maybe add some rib tapes (using thin tap or sheet). The theory seems to have been that what's underneath is rarely seen let a lone scrutinised...
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I had always wondered about wing skinning. Most pictures I found of vacform biplanes haven't shown the undersides.

Anyway, I finally committed to a kit and will be building a nice, simple, box-section, open cockpit, monoplane Fokker F.III. They don't come much simpler :D
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I know this is a daft question - but do you Vac-form kits in any other genre other than Aircraft?

I have to say I haven't found any but I was just interested if anyone knows!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Vac-form Kits”