August's L-bird

The one you have all been waiting for - Vac(u)-formed kits. Any subject, any kit, so long as the basis of the kit is vac-form (no, you can't enter an injection airplane with a vac-canopy). Started kits are eligible, within reason - this is a learning GB to introduce members the variety of kits, what can be accomplished with them, and to overcome any reluctance to add them to your modeling repertoire.
This is an extended GB, running 4 April to 31 May, and your hosts are Lancfan, SJPONeill, and Splash.
K5083
Active Participant

Re: August's L-bird

Post by K5083 »

Yup. I remember this was a problem with many of the early microcomputer cases.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

This weekend I cut out the intake nostrils, installed the blanking plates and cylinder fronts and got the fuselage together. No major disasters thus far. I have tried to convince myself that I can attach the wings without some sort of pass-through spar to maintain the dihedral but I don't think I can. Too much flex in the fuselage. Apart from that, the model is almost ready for paint, which will be done before major assembly.

August
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks great but really odd to be looking at a fully transparent fuselage with painted interior on the inside of the plastic!! Won't the struts hold the wings at the correct dihedral?

David
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

They might, David. Question is will the sides of the fuselage bow in with the struts pushing in on them. Probably would be okay, but I'm just not sure.

August
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You could pass a brass rod through the base of the body and attach the wing struts to that, then they would be pushing against each other not the body.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by vacant »

I would have thought that the chances of the fuselage warping with the weight of the wings would be almost zero. I'm not sure why you are worried about the fuselage. As long as the two halves are firmly glued together, nothing should move anywhere. I don't recall any such problems when building either this kit or others that have clear fuselages. Apart from which, the wings on such a small model are extremely light.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Thanks Vacant. I think I will take the advice of the master and attempt it without a spar. I'm not sure how strong the fuselage join is right between the wings, since it's glued with Glue 'n Glaze to maintain the transparency, but the rest of the fuselage is glued with CA and I'm pretty confident in it.

August
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Good luck with the wings, as Vacant says the wings won't be that heavy.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Vac-form Kits”