Martin's Mossie goes Coastal

"Classic" Airfix kits, loosely pre-Hornby, pre-RedBox unless the Red-box is a re-pop. Any Airfix kit, any scale, etc.
GB runs 1 - 31 May; your hosts are Sir T and TobyC.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Martin's Mossie goes Coastal

Post by Martin R »

Much appreciated, Daz.

Latest progress. That's all I'm doing to the cockpit. Nice level of moulding, Airfix!

Undercarriage installed in respective nacelles, and halves joined. Wing halves together.

Fit has been very good so far, although I can see some gaps. We'll see what happens once I start getting major sub-assemblies together.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

The cockpit is pretty impressive.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Agreed.
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

The only things missing are Cliff Robertson and wee Angus Lennie! :-D
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Purplethistle wrote:The only things missing are Cliff Robertson and wee Angus Lennie! :-D
Ah, yes! Angus Lennie, creator of other memorable characters such as Archibald "Archie" Ives, of "The Great Escape" fame. When the German officer said his photographic likeness didn't do him justice, I enjoyed his riposte: "I'd like to see one of you taken in similar circumstances". And later on, his career moved to the dizzying heights of portraying expatriate Caledonian chef, "Shuey"* McPhee in "Crossroads", avidly watched by my family at the time. I was very proud of his accent. What a pity he still couldn't act. :-D

regards,

Martin

*Should have been "Shuggy" shurely?
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Anyway, Angus Lennie related banter aside, many thanks for your comments, folks. I have got tired of waiting for Airfix Customer services to respond and have mounted the tailwheel leg in place sans wheel, and have joined the fuselage; I also added the wings and tailplanes so that I have a big Mosquito-shaped collection of plastic bits at the moment!

Cue much humming of the 633 Sqn theme tune: "DAH DI-DI-DAH DI-DI-DA-DI-DA-DAH DA-DAAH!". Oops, my kids are looking at my funny again.

I'll take some photos tonight after some sanding and filling.

regards,

Martin
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Nothing much doing in my spares box, I'm afraid, unless you can fashion a tailwheel out of two Spitfire mainwheels?
Daren

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

DazDaMan wrote:Nothing much doing in my spares box, I'm afraid, unless you can fashion a tailwheel out of two Spitfire mainwheels?
Nope, got plenty of those, thanks.

At some point in the next few weeks, I'm sure I'll be walking around the house and some previously unthought-of non-modelling related plastic circles will become evident, and I'll say, "those are just perfect"!

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Hi folks,

As my wife is off skiving on her 'hen' birthday weekend (which started on Wednesday night), I haven't had time to do anything; I haven't even done any filling. However, here is a pic of where we're at. Engine nacelles and props only dry-fitted at the moment. And, of course the pilot seat's fallen out!

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Looks good so far, though. I might have to try getting one.
Daren

TomW

Post by TomW »

Having built a couple of these in the past Martin I'll say watch out for the wing to fuselage alignment, the port wing always wants to attach with a pronounced anhedral and makes the whole thing look very lopsided.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

TomW wrote:Having built a couple of these in the past Martin I'll say watch out for the wing to fuselage alignment, the port wing always wants to attach with a pronounced anhedral and makes the whole thing look very lopsided.

Regards

Tom
Thanks, Tom.

The wing to fuselage joint was indeed quite troublesome. Although I like the way the wing root is recessed into the fuselage from a 'tidiness' and engineering perspective, in reality the base of the wing assembly didn't touch the bottom of the recess. Consequently, all the loads are being taken by glue joints on the upper and lower horizontal(ish) surfaces of the recess, which made for a wobbly time while the glue set. I tried to set up the fuselage 'on its side' to get the wing approximately vertical to reduce the tendency for the wing piece to just fall out. This was fun when it came time to put the second wing on, given the size of the beast. As it was, constant adjustment was required to try to maintain a reasonable dihedral. I've managed that, it seems, but whether this is symmetrical with respect to the fuselage remains to be seen!

regards,

Martin
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks good so far. If you have a leather hole punch handy you could use that to knock a couple of discs out of plastic.

Nigel
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Looks good so far. If you have a leather hole punch handy you could use that to knock a couple of discs out of plastic.

Nigel
Nigel,

Thank you for your comment and the suggestion.

I don't own a leather punch at the moment, but it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man for me to get one. Hmmm. Must see if anywhere in town sells them.

regards,

Martin
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

I think I picked one up cheaply at a hardware store. It has a wheel at the front with about 6 different sizes. You just rotate the wheel to the size you need, place your belt, or plastic, between the wheel and baseplate, and squeeze the handle, simples :grin:

Nigel

Return to “Classic Airfix GB”