Steve's Arctic Wind (Finnish Hurricane) ***FINISHED***

Any Hawker Hurricane kit, and scale, any markings, etc, - as long as it is a Hurricane.
Runs 1-31 May; your host is DazDaMan.
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Steve's Arctic Wind (Finnish Hurricane) ***FINISHED***

Post by Stevehnz »

Finally made a start over the last couple of days, it'll be sporadic to fit around my shift work but I can't see too big a problem to get done unless its the Kora decals, a bit of an unknown quantity, they have to be cut from a larger sheet.
The obligatory pre-start shot, showing decals, it'll be the top aircraft as being the only rag wing on the sheet.
Some bits painted on the sprues, also showing the Freightdog wheels I'll be using, the Kora ones that came with the decals were a bit smaller than the kit ones whereas the FD ones are a good match. I've most most of these pieces off the sprues & glued into the wings now, hope to get some more done tomorrow then its back to work for three days.
Steve.
despondman
Active Participant

Re: Steve's Arctic Wind (Finnish Hurricane)

Post by despondman »

Nice choice of scheme - looking forward to seeing it finished.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

Nice choice, I did the same thing last time round:

2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

How much difference is there between the kit wheels and the FD ones? I often wonder if the after market additions are worth the money.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

The kit wheels are 4 spoke which are apparently incorrect for early Mk Is, which should be 5 spoke as were included, albeit undersized, with the Kora decals & the correctly sized Freightdog wheels. I find the FD stuff very reasonably priced & Colin's postage to New Zealand, compared to some other companies, is very reasonable.
Steve.
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Old_Tonto wrote:Nice choice, I did the same thing last time round:
OT, sorry, thought I'd replied to this, I remember your build last time, a big part of why I'm doing this one now, that & the front cover of a fairly recent Aeroplane mag. :)
Steve
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I really like the Finnish air force camo scheme. Been meaning to do a Buffalo for some time now.
Current Projects:
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Some progress over my last break & today. not huge but some fiddly stuff in the cockpit including tamiya tape seat belts, I'm finding them less daunting with practice. :) Other than a tiny bit of touching up I'm nearly ready to glue up the fuselage & attach the wings. I'm really liking the way this kit goes together, I did think the control column was a bit long & shortened that by a couple of mm & the oft reported mismatch with the wingtips has been filled. The trailing edges got some scraping & sanding before gluing but they're still too thick & will have to stay that way. :sad:
Steve.
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Cripes, nearly a week gone by since the above but it hasn't been without some efforts, wingtip lights, fuselage & wings together, tails feathers on & propellor assembly together & some white primer to go under the yellow markings & roundels. I should have some time over the next couple of days so still on target ( I think), hopefully another update in a couple of days.
Steve.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Those wing tip lights look the business. I wish I had done that. :???:
Current Projects:
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Its the second model I've done them with, surprisingly easy & I reckon very effective, the down side is I'll feel obliged to do them for all now. :sad: An OOB build is becoming a thing of the past. :roll: I should add I put an amber "bulb" into the underside marker light too. :lol:
Steve.
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Some more progress to show, its been a frustrating week, but I've managed a few little sessions which have resulted in this.
& this
Tonight I hope to get the black camo patches on & hopefully some decals tomorrow. I'm back at work tomorrow night but only for 2 this time, I've got the weekend off so will be looking to get it finished before the deadline.
Steve.
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Progressing nicely Steve.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Thanks Chip, though I can say now progressed. I'm calling this one done though today has been a bit of a panic & there're still some wee touch up jobs which will have to wait for now. The last couple of days have been frustrating but slowly & surely I've mangaed to tick off the jobs & although I've had a few small reverses, nothing I've not been able to overcome. This kit is a bit like the curates egg, good in places. Goodness knows what an inexperienced modeller makes of the undercarriage. :sad: I was disappointed with the wing trailing edges, I should've spent longer on these but should'nt have needed to either, likewise the mismatched wing halves. It's pity that Airfix got the wheels wrong. I found the Freightdog wheels frustrating in use though they were nicely molded. Paint just didn't want to stay on them even though I'd degreased & the recess for the axle stubs did not seem to be big enough though of the correct shape. Colours used were Citadel Knarloc Green, nice to use & I liked it for a scale colour in this shade, likewise Vallejo Model Colour Black Grey rather than straight black. The decals were Kora & as I'd been advised they were likely to be translucent I tried to mask them off over a white base, this worked after a fashion but was also the source of some grief in that my masking didn't behave very well & touching up yellow & white was a pain. where the masking was astray, the decals were very certainly translucent. I coated them with Microscale Liquid decal film & was pleased I had, they were still very thin. I can't recommend Kora for the price they are. I'll use some generic Finnish decals on future build which I have Kora decals for. Anyway, sorry to ramble on so, here are some pichers of the Fin(n)ished item.

Steve
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Steve's Arctic Wind (Finnish Hurricane) ***FINISHED***

Post by Purplethistle »

Very tidy, Sir. I'm more used to seeing those through the gunsight of my I-16 over the Gulf of Finland (In IL-2 Sturmovik)
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"

Return to “Hawker Hurricane GB”