Jamesaw's Victorious**Launched sans Air Group**

Our 2nd sea-going GB, for any ship, any scale, etc. Does not include amphibious aircraft or vehicles - the medium is water.
Runs 6 weeks, 2 May - 13 Jun; your host is Dazzled. Extended to 28 June.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Jamesaw's Victorious

Post by Dazzled »

Great start. Very neat work boxing in the stern. I hope mine looks half as good.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

I first got it in 1964. My aunt's Alsatian ripped my face a bit so in compensation for the stitches I got the kit. It was the biggest one I had up to that point!
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Dazzled wrote:Great start. Very neat work boxing in the stern. I hope mine looks half as good.
If what you've done so far is any indication, I think you'll do full justice to the Forrestal Darryl.

Cheers
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Continuing with the blanking off of the daylight sections.
Gun mountings installed and filling and sanding in progress.
url=http://s988.photobucket.com/user/hwrigh ... 2.jpg.html]Image[/url]
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great progress Howard. I can see how all this preliminary work is going to lead to a stunning model 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Cheers. Flight deck has now been glued into position and I will be commencing sanding this evening prior to commencing the etch for the railings, mast and crane. Island is also mainly together. Pictures to follow.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

The mini airwing arrived today. Many thanks for that, I was struggling to get my mojo working for this one, but I'm up for it now.
btw, are you interested in VA-46 in the Gulf War? I have some interesting details of the missions they flew.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
jamesaw

Re: Jamesaw's Victorious Question

Post by jamesaw »

Does anyone know where the Oerlikons were mounted? I have 6 on the White Ensign etch sheet and apparently the Victorious retained these after the refit.
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

TomW wrote:I have a lot of Tumbling Dice aircraft for wargaming and on the whole they are pretty good for what they are. They are designed firstly as wargaming pieces so don't expect perfect replicas but with a bit of paint they are usually recognisable as the type they represent.

Regards

Tom

**Edit**

Dug a few out of the stash so you can get an idea, no Buccs or Gannets unfortunately but these are from my Suez Conflict collection:

From left to right and top to bottom; MD450 Ouragan, Sea Hawk, Canberra B.1, Wyvern and Sea Venom.

Hope that helps James :grin:

Regards

Tom
Sorry for not acknowledging earlier Tom. Thanks for taking the trouble to show these. I've ordered some Whirlwinds, Gannets and Buccaneers from Tumbling Dice and am now awaiting their arrival. I may do another build of the ship in the post 1962 guise with the newer airwing and paint job. Have to see how this one turns out though!
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Spent several hours last night building the etched crane and mast. Mast isn't finished yet as it is very fiddly, but should look pretty impressive. I'll get some more pics up on the weekend.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm looking forward to seeing it Howard. It'll give me a taster of what mine will look like.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Got the flight deck on.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's really taking shape now 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

4 hours invested in building the mast and I'm a long way from getting it finished. Trying to keep 12 yards lined up with 3 attachment points each is like herding cats. Note to self, build US Nuclear Carriers in future, the etch is much easier!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

jamesaw wrote:4 hours invested in building the mast and I'm a long way from getting it finished. Trying to keep 12 yards lined up with 3 attachment points each is like herding cats. Note to self, build US Nuclear Carriers in future, the etch is much easier!
:lol:

I'm sure it'll be well worth the effort though.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Nautical GB II”