Beany's Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind with a few guests

Our 2nd sea-going GB, for any ship, any scale, etc. Does not include amphibious aircraft or vehicles - the medium is water.
Runs 6 weeks, 2 May - 13 Jun; your host is Dazzled. Extended to 28 June.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beany's Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind with a few guests

Post by beany »

I nearly ignored this GB as I don't do ships generally, not the grey sort anyway, but then realised it was open to other
types so it will be a good spur to complete another Classic British Box Art diorama that I've been planning for over
three years now. It will basically be this box art:

I had built the Golden Hind before and it has been on the CBK SIG display at Telford for the 2007 display (1977 Catalogue
cover display), but that one succumbed to too much damage over the years and eventually went in the bin.

I won the one in the photo just recently with a mind to doing the box art display at some point, and as it turns out have
just won another one (in the same older boxing) yesterday for £4.10! I just really like this kit. It may be partly because
it is in 1/72 scale. This has helped source some figures to populate the deck as per the soldier in the box art. The ones
I have are actually Swedish guys and about 150 years the wrong side of the Golden Hind, but they look the part.

I will used my preferred method of Bathroom Silicone Sealant for the water. I will drill holes in the baseboard to mount
stretched 'poles' of clear sprue and then build up the sealant around this for the cannon splashes in the water as per the
box picture. I will of course have to hacksaw off the lower hull, but I did this with the last one anyway so I've had practice.

These older boxing come with the pre-formed rat lines for the rigging, which is a bonus as I had to make my own for the
previous one using one of these horrible frames and the rigging thread Airfix include in the kit.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Beany's Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind with a few guests

Post by Dazzled »

Good to have you aboard Al and a nice choice of model too 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
beany

Post by beany »

Unfortunately, it looks like I may have to abandon this build already as having started cutting parts out this evening it is apparent that the plastic has become extremely brittle and quite warped in places. Whilst trying to straighten out some of the warps I have further cracked the hull; it is like trying to model with Jacobs Cream Crackers. I have another one on the way via eBay as I mentioned above so I may see if I can continue the project with that one and just salvage what I can from this old boxing - the rat lines at least will come in useful. :roll:

Cheers
Al.
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Unfortunate to say the least. I've never had it happen with a kit, with the HO figures though all the time. Hopefully the replacement arrives post haste and in good shape.

Howard
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

That's a shame Al, but I understand all about brittle and warped ;-) .

Hope you can join in later :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
beany

Post by beany »

...and we're back in the room! I picked up another Golden Hind for less than £5.00 on eBay on account of it being part started - some painting had been done but I will spray over that anyway and start again. The big surprise when it arrived is that there were some new paint, glue and brushes in the box, so I reckon I got a right bargain. :lol: The box is the older gorgeous box art painting as the previous one was, and in slightly better condition too.

The plastic is much less brittle with this one as can be felt in the flexibility of the sails, the others just cracked under pressure they were so brittle.

I was in PoundLand yesterday and saw some of the much heralded Grey Primer - a 6th of the price of my usual Halfords can, albeit a slightly smaller can volume wise, so I thought I'd give it a go. I think I can see why it is only a £1.00 - that is pretty dark grey if you ask me, :shock: not that I'm bothered as it is only an undercoat and will get white primer next over the top.

This will have to be a bit of a blitzbau now, but I'll do my best to finish on time.
Cheers
Al.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great to have you back on board Al. You really did get a bargain there :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Beany looking at the scale of this kit, it would look good as a waterline display in the docks at this years CBK display.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Nautical GB II”