Martin's SEAC Fury ***Finished***

A single-kit GB of the PM Sea Fury.
Runs 1-30 June; your host is Martin R
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Martin's SEAC Fury

Post by Martin R »

AndrewR wrote:How about the P51 90 gallon tanks?

Also remember that British gallons are bigger than US ones!
Were the 90gal P-51 tanks the ones with the parallel section? or the teardrop ones? I need to dig out a P-51 kit.

But you get my point in general comparing relative sizes of "45gal" and "90gal" tanks, which were both British ;-). I am also puzzled by my inability to find anything resembling the "long range ferry tanks" on my - admittedly small - numbers of Sea Fury references. They all look really similar in size (and identical in shape!) to the 45 gal Tempest tank.

regards,

Martin
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Valiant Wings own Sea Fury book is quite good, keeping it around as I make my three Sea Fury's.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

MarkyM607 wrote:Valiant Wings own Sea Fury book is quite good, keeping it around as I make my three Sea Fury's.
Ta, Mark!
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well, I told you that the underside joints were ugly!

I'm hoping they look a little better once that lot is dry and I've sanded most of it off!

Topside looking a little better after filler:

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

So, what to do while the filler's drying? I know! What about knocking up a spinner backplate. This is something I like to add if a model doesn't already have one. The real aircraft would have a backplate to the spinner and I think my models should have, too. Yes, a little bit OCD, but it keeps me happy.

Anyway, for your information / interest / boredom / whatever, here is how I go about making one.

Step 1: Cut out a piece of styrene sheet of appropriate thickness sized to fit in the above template on my trusty Humbrol cutting mat. The blob of blu-tack in the centre is to mount it so that it doesn't move around too easily.

Step 2: Stick the styrene on the blu-tack and, using a steel rule and a propelling pencil, mark in the position of the blades (5 obviously in this case).

Step 3: Add a circular shape to the styrene of smaller radius than the internal radius of the spinner. This is to stop you cutting too far into the centre of the shape.

Step 4: Mark out the width of the propeller openings around the blade positions and cut down to the circle. Score out the remaining piece of styrene between adjacent tabs and break off. Et voila!

Step 5: Fettle the thickness of the blade 'spikes' so that the backplate fits the spinner. Then trim 'spikes' to length. And there you have it. Far from perfect, but it'll look alright at scale distance.

Apologies if this was teaching you to suck eggs, but haven't seen this described elsewhere.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The teardrop Mustang tanks were 75 (US) gallons and made of steel

The cylindrical ones were paper and 108 US gallons (which is around 90 Imperial Gallons)

So it's the teardrop ones which should be about the right size and shape.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Nice touch with the spinner backplate. Obsessive? Compulsive? Disorder? Nobody on here accepts that such a disorder exists, Martin. :-D

David
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

dwomby wrote:Nice touch with the spinner backplate. Obsessive? Compulsive? Disorder? Nobody on here accepts that such a disorder exists, Martin. :-D

David
David,

Well, quite! Cheers for the feedback though!

regards,

Martin
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'm afraid I just snapped off those rectangular tabs with part numbers from the sprue, coloured them black with a permanent marker, and stuck them on the back of the propellor. :shock:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

AndrewR wrote:I'm afraid I just snapped off those rectangular tabs with part numbers from the sprue, coloured them black with a permanent marker, and stuck them on the back of the propellor. :shock:
I like that! Much less 'faffy' than my way.

Got a photo for illustrative purposes? ;-)
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Martin R wrote:
AndrewR wrote:I'm afraid I just snapped off those rectangular tabs with part numbers from the sprue, coloured them black with a permanent marker, and stuck them on the back of the propellor. :shock:
I like that! Much less 'faffy' than my way.

Got a photo for illustrative purposes? ;-)
I was too ashamed to record my sloppy build technique :-D
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

dwomby wrote:Nice touch with the spinner backplate. Obsessive? Compulsive? Disorder? Nobody on here accepts that such a disorder exists, Martin. :-D

David
I have it too and can confirm it doesn't exist. Or should that be does not. Hmmm. Does not, does not, yes that's better!!. :lol: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

MarkyM607 wrote:

David
I have it too and can confirm it doesn't exist. Or should that be does not. Hmmm. Does not, does not, yes that's better!!. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Just a little progress tonight. Got the prop and spinner painted; now that's assembled and blu-tacked on to the now complete airframe. That is washed and ready for primer (well, after masking, that is). There'll then need to be some rescribing (especially round the inner flap area) and I need to eliminate the wing-fold seam as well, but she's coming on.

And here's some of the Heller Tempest undercarriage bits painted and ready:

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Got a scoosh of white primer on tonight. This highlighted a couple of slight greeblies, which have now been dealt with. As the filler was out, I also got rid of the wing fold line. Tomorrow, a final sand down, and then I start painting.

More then.

regards,

Martin

Return to “PM Sea Fury SKGB”