James Builds a Model Home **DNF**

UAMF's signature event, fun for one and all.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host is Jssel.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

James Builds a Model Home **DNF**

Post by JamesPerrin »

Out of the blue my wife bought a model kit of a house of the internet and said I could build it but only if I completed it this weekend. Sounded like a Blitzbau challenge to me! Unfortunately I didn't have time to post pics during the build, but I'm sure your will forgive. As it was a model house I also thought it might be suitable for the CBK display.

As it was a nice day I decided to do the build outside. It was a bit on an unconventional build, first off it required a surprising substantial display base to constructed.

I could then proceed constructing the base, at this point it became evident that this was mixed media kit and the usual construction methods weren't going the help. Glue wasn't going to cut it and I had to make use of screws, the advantage in a Blitzbau being obvious as there is no need to wait for the parts to dry.

I prepainted the interior, there wasn't a lot of detail to be seen but I slapped some cream paint on the walls. However my daughter decided that it needed some details adding and started measuring up for curtains. I don't know if having someone help you during a build breaks Blitzbau rules?

After trying a few things we agreed that on adding some aftermarket flooring. The wood effect it quite impressive unless you get right up close.

With the final wall added we found that the kit had the door as a working feature so the extra effort on the interior was well spent as it can easily seen.

Finally I added the roof which came with some large decals that represented roofing felt, they even had a textured finish which was impressive.

Unfortunately the British weather got the best of me and I didn't have time to add the finials and give it a final coat of paint before we were hit with several thunderstorms. So it's a DNF unfortunately I still haven't completed any kits this year :sad:

Thinking about it I think it might be a tad too big for the CBK display table....
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: James Builds a Model Home **DNF**

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks great, James. What scale is it and does it come with the small mobile figure in the kit?

David
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Love it James.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

dwomby wrote:Looks great, James. What scale is it and does it come with the small mobile figure in the kit?

David
I think the figure comes separately, I remember it being released a couple of years ago.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

What fun! Love these 1-1 scale projects. 8-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
chrism

Post by chrism »

That's really smart. Like it a lot.

dwomby wrote:does it come with the small mobile figure in the kit?

David
Figures like that are readily available. There is typically around 32 weeks lead time, once order placed and confirmed.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Excellent, James !!! And sorry about the rain, I'm sure a small tea party was in the offing ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Quite possibly the best blitz ever, successful or not. Saved under "favourites".

I feel a bit bottom lippy now.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Blitzbau XVII”