OT turns a silk purse into a SAU

Any aircraft from the Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host id Old_Tonto.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: OT turns a silk purse into a SAU

Post by rob_van_riel »

Old_Tonto wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:This seems to be one of three MIG's that haven't provided happy builds, including my MIG-23UB!!. :evil:
They're fighters. Expect them to put up a fight...
This one thinks it is Mohamid Ali! :ha:
Ilya Muromets, more likely :-D
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Old_Tonto wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:This seems to be one of three MIG's that haven't provided happy builds, including my MIG-23UB!!. :evil:
They're fighters. Expect them to put up a fight...
This one thinks it is Mohamid Ali! :ha:
Unfortunately it's not the greatest! :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Old_Tonto wrote:This build is definitely a '1 step forwards, 2 steps back' kind of deal. This was where I was yesterday afternoon, all primed and starting work on the missiles..

Before that I solved one question. Can anyone guess what this part is for?

I will tell you. Fitting the missile pylons! For the inner pylons there are locating holes - all very conventional. 8-)
For the outer pylons however you have to use this little device (without gluing it :???: ) like so:

What's wrong with locating pins I ask you? :frown:

Anyway I got them installed and sprayed the coat of primer on. Not too bad just a couple of areas needing attention but that step at the back of the canopy has to be sorted.
So off with the canopy. In the process I managed to break off the small antennae and gouge a great big gash along the side when the craft knife slipped. :evil:

So I have bunged some filler in it and put the whole thing to one side before it hits the wall. I am not enjoying this. :boom:

I've never seen anything like that alignment jig before OT. It seems an odd idea to go to the trouble of adding it to the kit given the simplicity of putting in a couple of holes. Personally, I'd be tempted to use the jig to mark position for my own mouting holes and use styrene rod as pegs. That would give a better bond and eliminate the risk of gluing the jig to the model.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Having left things for a couple of days to calm down I decided to crack on with my MiG even though the deadline is tight.

The pylon alignment jig worked fine. I just put it up against the inner pylon, drew a pencil line along the edge and glued the seconed pylon using the line as a guide.
Still, a very weired way of doing it. :???:

I have painted the deep green dialetic(?) panels and nose cone.

Once that is dry I will mask those areas off and spray on the grey. As you can see I fettled the canopy too, much better but still not snug. :sad:
I snapped the pig antennae too.

Missile production line is on the go:

More to follow.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Finally got a coat of aircraft grey on yesterday after battling with a sputtering airbrush! :sad:

Looking at it now I could have used Magnolia! I'm not a big fan of grey jets but this is an important type in the East German Air Force inventory so has to be done.
This is where I was at as the deadline passed:

The canopy not looking too bad. A few areas to touch up particularly on the dialetic panels but no real dramas.
I still need to paint the engine area silver (forgot that!) and add the missiles. Wing roundals added for effect.

It does look a little bland so it may get some stencils and a panel line wash before I call it done. Aerials to attach too.
So a GB extension is needed. The advantage of being a group build leader. ;-)
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “MiG Aircraft GB”