Marky's Flogger For Two ***FINISHED***

Any aircraft from the Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host id Old_Tonto.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marky's Flogger For Two

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks, I think it's worth a go. Not the best fitting kit obviously but the parts are clean and well moulded and have good detail on them. It just needs the fit of parts checking before the use of glue is committed to. A lot of colour/decal schemes too, sixteen paint schemes across about twelve air forces so plenty to choose from.
As I've said I've got a resin conversion set for the Academy -23S so I'll get that going and see if it's a better proposition than the Art Model kit....
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

MarkyM607 wrote: As I've said I've got a resin conversion set for the Academy -23S so I'll get that going and see if it's a better proposition than the Art Model kit....
That would be good to know as I fancy a twin seat flogger but am not one for lots of work. :)

Doing a grand job here. I hope you have plenty of filler.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, just some update pics...
The sides of the rear fuselage even with sanding on it's inner surface and on the exhaust pipe!!..
ImageImage
As I said, I do like a little model with my filler!!...
ImageImageImage
Oh and the wings have somewhat of a droop thing going on. I think the problem is that the tabs the wings pivot on is not tall enough and the wing gloves can't hold them level. I would (and I think I will), put a bit of plastic on the underside of the wing inside the glove. Hopefully this will level them out.
Oh, one final note. The conversion set I have is by Balotoi Models. I've rescued it from the loft and assuming the BoB GB doesn't get in the way, should get it going soon.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi. After the issues so far I've decided to decline to do the undercarriage, which I'm sure you know is a complicated beastie on a -23 at the best of times. This of course meant closing the airbrakes, the instructions show them open. Luckily they go closed without problems (yes, it's a first!!). I also had to raid the bits boxes for recruits to the cockpit. Managed to get the rear pilot in after sanding his.. um, bottom and 'a little off the sides Sir?'. The front pilot needed more space between his feet to fit but his leg broke off while trying this so now he's Douglas Baderski.
Not sure I would recommend this kit. It does come to looking like a two seat -23 but it isn't the best fitting. Still, it seems to be coming good so on we go.
P.S. After looking at the paint schemes for the umpteenth time I asked mum what she liked and so now I'm doing a MIG-23UB from the Cuban Air Force!.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

This is turning into something of a battle but you do seem to be beating it into submission ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

It's starting to look decent enough now. The problem with the wings re:- droop, is that when they are swept forward there is no wing connector between the two wings, plus there isn't enough wing inside the fuselage. This all means the weight of the wing pulls it down and they droop. If I did this kit again (?), I would put a wing connector in somehow.
I've decided to mount the aircraft in flight and have the wings swept back. Otherwise I might be tempted to give up on it!!. :grin:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

MarkyM607 wrote:Otherwise I might be tempted to give up on it!!. :grin:
NO don't do that! You are beating this one into shape and the Cuban camo scheme is very cool. I am assuming that you are doing the blue & green one?
Current Projects:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Old_Tonto wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Otherwise I might be tempted to give up on it!!. :grin:
NO don't do that! You are beating this one into shape and the Cuban camo scheme is very cool. I am assuming that you are doing the blue & green one?
No, No I've gone too far to abandon it now! :grin: . And yes it is the blue & green one. The other thing with this kit is the colour instructions. They have coloured blocks next to paint numbers which are Humbrol, but the numbers are mixed up so you have 155 (green), next to a block for a grey paint!. Seems to be on most of the schemes but you can work it out!. Course, I found my Humbrol 155 is completely rock hard and I can't get any quickly, so I'm using 86!!.
P.S. I was caught between several schemes, the East German one looks good as does the grey Polish one. Hence why I asked Mum!!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Sob, whimper, sob. I want to cry (although that might just mean an increase in my citalopram is needed!!!!). This MIG is one hell of a dog-fighter. I wanted to put the undercarriage up so found two pilots and installed them, only to find Art Model want you to build it wheels down!!. Argh. The undercarriage is okay but the pics don't seem to represent it 100%, possibly 85/90%. What to do?. grrr. I have discovered that the u/c doors on -23's are in about five parts so gluing it closed is problematic but the inner doors cover half the bay so I have started gluing it closed. I will use plastic strip and filler or PVA to fill the rest. Nose wheel should be easier. Really not enjoying this that much but on we go.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Okay, I have used so much filler on seams and done enough sanding that spotting the surface detail will be a sport in itself. The wheel bay doors are underway, from here on it's 'Get it Done and out of the way'. Really tired of it now. Luckily only the wheel doors and paint to do now, not putting any ordnance on her.
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Been thinking about this kit for a while now, think I've finally been put off. Great work beating it into shape, way more patience than me
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Kitaholic wrote:Been thinking about this kit for a while now, think I've finally been put off. Great work beating it into shape, way more patience than me
I don't mean to put anyone off anything but I just couldn't recommend it, this is just the experience and opinion I've found making the kit. The kit just isn't user-friendly!. As for patience it's more down to OCD and not wanting to have a DNF in a Group Build! :lol:
(I also have their Yak-141 waiting for several years in the loft. Unfortunately it may stay there a few more now!).
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Maybe a better kit and a resin conversion would be easier. I'm grateful to you for giving me a preview of this Marky and mightily impressed at the way you've handled it 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Dazzled wrote:Maybe a better kit and a resin conversion would be easier. I'm grateful to you for giving me a preview of this Marky and mightily impressed at the way you've handled it 8-)
I was thinking the same Daz. Who does make a decent resin conversion?
Current Projects:
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Good work so far.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto

Return to “MiG Aircraft GB”