Dazzled's Late -17 **READY TO INTERCEPT**

Any aircraft from the Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host id Old_Tonto.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Late -17

Post by Dazzled »

This morning saw me applying the final coat of Aquaseal lacquer to the Alclad and, after a good few hours drying time I masked up to paint the radar aerial on the nose. This is another job that's more difficult than it needs to be as HB didn't think to put any indications as to where the demarcation line around this should be. It was a case of "best guess".

Then it was back to the workshop for a little Tamiya XF-5. There was no real reason to spray paint out there other than I'm too lazy to lug my compressor back into the house. Just for once I managed to time it just right to avoid carrying the model down the garden in the rain :)

This is the model in it's protective bag after the first coat.

The bag was a great idea right up until I managed to snap off both pitots getting it in there :oops: . I think I'll leave them off until the end.

And just for a visual, this is my little garage workshop set-up.

It goes: model, vice, compressor, grinder, ultrasonic cleaner. It actually works quite well as a set up. If it wasn't so cold in the winter I'd do all my painting out there. Oh, and in the front is the Triumph Sprint that I'm slowly restoring.

That's all for today and work is going to slow me down a bit for the next couple of days but there will be more progress soon 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Dazzled wrote:Just for once I managed to time it just right to avoid carrying the model down the garden in the rain :)
Your timing is better than mine, somehow they always get me when I try this. On the flip side, the result of this has been that I went and bought a few sizes of transparent plastic storage boxes with clip-on lids, which when turned upside down become trays with very large clip-on squarish domes, and which are ideal for carrying around model in, both to and from the paintshop and to meetings.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for the tip Rob. I think the paintshop may find a new home :)

And with work out of the way for a day or three, another progress update.

The lack of exhausts on the missiles was bugging me so I decided to do something to improve their appearance. A couple of 1mm holes, one each side helps a little.

The picture shows a before and after shot. A little primer has also shown up the fact that I need to do a little more tidying up. Currently, all 4 Alkalis are drying in the paintshop after a coat of Tamiya Flat Aluminium. I've seen finished models with these in white but all my research suggests conclusively that these were painted aluminium overall. When the paint dries I'll add some engine exhausts fashioned from styrene rod, the spares stash having turned up nothing of use.

Also on the agenda has been a little light weathering. I didn't want to go mad here, just give the impression of an everyday aircraft in use but still well maintained. I accented the panel lines using a fine propelling pencil then, for the areas subjected to heavier wear and staining, some pastel chalk staining and a little chipping was added using a scalpel to gently scrape back to the black undercoat as seen on the flaps in the picture.

These would have been subject to heavy wear and damage caused by detritus thrown from the wheels on take off and landing.

This was all done early this morning before the model was taken out and given a coat of Klear to seal in the weathering and prepare for decalling.

HobbyBoss aren't very imaginative in the decal department I'm afraid.

Only 3 options and all NMF. In fact the only difference between all 3 versions is the number applied to the nose. And there are no stencils at all :frown: and why there are so many red stars is a complete mystery. Definitely "could do better" HB!

This is another area where some research is a good thing as HB's instructions show no stars on the upper wings. Research failed to show up any with this arrangement. Indeed it would seem strange on an aircraft that would want to avoid being shot down by it's own side (???). Besides all that, adding the stars helps to brighten the model up ;-)

I was now getting to a point where much of the model needed time to dry, most notably the wingtip nav lights. This is another area where HB's amateur "left wing team" struck again. While the right wing is as near perfect as one could want, the left wing has, as I've mentioned, exhibited a number of problems with fit, alignment etc. Now, as something of a parting shot, I've discovered that there's no nav light housing :frown: so the nav light is represented by a droplet of clear red paint. That'll need until tomorrow to dry.

So, while that happens, I've been picking up all the little jobs left to do. The undercarriage was a good way along so it seemed prudent to get it all assembled.

And there were bits of fuel tank to assemble, parts to come off sprues and be touched up and missile rails/mountings to be painted. In fact I have a bench full of bits pretty much ready to go together.

The final push appears to be in sight 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've really been pushing this today. Encouraged by the relatively rapid drying of the nav light paint I took it out to the paint shop and gave it an overcoat of some lightly flatted down Klear. While this dried I set to finishing the missiles and their mounting rails and applying a few last bits of etch.

Drying time was quite short though and I was able to crack on with getting some of the loose bits onto the model. The cockpit was first. There were 4 more etched parts to go in followed by the seat and then the joystick. The screen and canopy were demasked and the canopy has had the det cord filled in (badly) with a marker pen. I'll need to tidy this up before I finish. Then it was onto undercarriage (not bad to fit :) ), u/c doors (problems with location of the main doors :frown: ) and control surfaces (mostly good but the flaps were awkward :sad: ). After that I had a pop at the fuel tanks. One went on fine, the other was a real pig to fit straight...and they interfered with the flaps which then needed to be repositioned. On top of all that the small transparencies (1 underwing, 2 under the rear fuselage) were all too big for the holes. One was devoured by the Laminate Floor Goblin while I was trying to reduce their size :evil: This is now a patch of Clearfix which, I have to admit, does look pretty good.

After all that I've decided to call it a night and just leave it like this until tomorrow.

Time for bed, I think :-|
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

You've reached the stage where I tend to make a mess of things as well. I have all the sub assemblies painted and ready to attach, but some parts then don't fit their locating holes, or interfere with something else, a bit frustrating really.

Nigel
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

You have made great progress on this mate. I like the work on the missiles in particular.

Hope that canopy fits. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Marek

Post by Marek »

Very nice progress and the finish looks extremely good
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks chaps. :)

I did make good progress and, in truth, this should have been finished yesterday but I forgot the cardinal rule of family......never EVER tell anybody you have free time. However, I have come across a second rule....never let your other half tell anybody you have free time :frown: When this precious time gets discovered by others the comments go "Can you pop over and have a look at this"; "will you just check this over"; "I could do with a hand with..." and "it'll only take 10 minutes" and all that carefully planned and plotted for modelling time evaporates and one's Mig doesn't get finished.

However, I've risen above this and, this evening, finally managed to lie and wheedle my way out of somebody else's arrangements so I could have a couple of hours in the Den.

The missiles were dry and ready to go.

And so a lot of parts were assembled with the odd bit of paint touch up and light weathering along the way....leading to this.

And I'm happy to say that this one is completed. 8-)

It's been an up and down journey with this kit. On the plus side it's dimensionally accurate and displays some superb detail. In fact the a/m extras were superfluous in a few areas. However, despite looking very pretty in the box, it's a kit that turns sour as soon as one tries to build it. There are some pretty bad fit problems for such a modern kit; vague locations for some parts and sub-assemblies; and a lack of information in the instructions. These are IMHO down to bad engineering on the part of HobbyBoss. Like Trumpeter, they seem to turn out a prolific number of different models, and more power to them for doing so. Unfortunately, this output comes at the price of inadequate quality control. In fact they rather remind me of the Russian aircraft industry during the Cold War in that they were happy to test aircraft in service rather than go through lengthy pre-service trials and development. I can't see the likes of, say Tamiya or Airfix releasing kits that haven't been thoroughly tested by builders before releasing them to the public. Don't get me wrong, it's not an unbuildable kit but it involves a lot more work and head scratching than is necessary.

Another bugbear I have, and this may be just a personal thing, is the decals. They're not the best for thickness and opacity, although they aren't the worst I've ever used, and the choice of schemes is pretty disappointing. The only differences between all 3 options are the bort numbers on the nose, It's a bit pointless having 3 options under the circumstances. Despite all this, I may be inclined to build another one, perhaps one of the earlier gunfighter versions with a nice camo scheme, if one appeared cheaply enough. After all, it still looks like a Mig-17. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

TomW

Re: Dazzled's Late -17 **READY TO INTERCEPT**

Post by TomW »

Now that looks awesome 8-) worth every bit of effort it made you put in Darryl, roll on November when I can take some photo's of it myself :-D

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Fast finish! Great looking model, really looks the business with all that ordnance.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That is superb Darryl - nice finish!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Truly wonderful work Darryl. That is a belter.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “MiG Aircraft GB”