MiGuelito's First MiG-3...or first MiG for that matter!

Any aircraft from the Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host id Old_Tonto.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

MiGuelito's First MiG-3...or first MiG for that matter!

Post by mjatx »

A friend recently gave me this kit, which he acquired from one of his friends who was trying to reduce his stash. I gladly accepted the kit, and immediately thought of this Group Build as a perfect opportunity for me to join the fun, and build my "FIRST" MiG of any type.

The kit came in a small plastic box, with some of the pieces already cut from the sprues; however, it's complete, and includes the instructions and decals. The decals look very nice, and I'm pretty sure "Made in Italy" is Revell's code for "Cartograph", meaning they should be great to work with.

The decals provide two choices, 'Red 02', which Gadfly completed in impressive fashion as part of his Group Build effort. I will be building this one in the style of choice number 2, which is 'White 54'. This plane flew as part of the 34th IAP based at Vnukovo airfield near Moscow in the Summer of 1943.

The kit provides a very basic cockpit.

The wheel wells and landing gear are VERY basic too, so I decided to pull a stand out of the stash, and display this one in flight. Needless to say, this means the plane will need a pilot, so I dug this suitable comrade out of the crowd.

Looks like a typical Airfix pilot based on the plastic type and color. Also, after checking out Gadfly's MiG-3, I was inspired to add a little detail to the office. I'm sure after all is sealed and covered, none of it will be visible, so we'll have to enjoy it while we can.

I think based on the parts number, and size of the kit, I should be able to complete it before the deadline of the group build, but that paint scheme will be challenging. Right now, I'm dealing with the challenge of cramming all the add-ons in the cockpit together between the fuselage halves.
Dazzled

Re: MiGuelito's First MiG-3...or first MiG for that matter!

Post by Dazzled »

Nice work on the cockpit and best of luck with getting this done before the GB ends 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
mjatx

Re: Actually, you can just ignore this post.

Post by mjatx »

uh...nevermind

Well, I got the base color onto the cockpit, and was planning on touching up the details, when I figured I'd see what the canopy looked like on the model. Now that I'd actually looked at the clear parts (other than to see there was what appeared to be a complete canopy included with the kit), there was something odd.

I'm not sure what plane this canopy goes with, but I can tell you it's not a MiG-3. Oh well, it was a fun few hours while it lasted. Hopefully, my next, and ACTUAL, MiG build goes a little more smoothly.

For now, I'll tuck this little MiG back into a box and hope the MiG-3 canopy fairy shows up some day.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That's a shame mjatx. I liked the look of that camo scheme. :sad:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

I have a spare canopy from my Hobbyboss kit if you want it drop me a PM and I can post it off..

Cheers

GF

Return to “MiG Aircraft GB”