Sign-up and Chat

For ship-based aircraft.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host is Martin R.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by splash »

Quick question

I have a 1/48 scale British Chinook that I need to build for a friend will it fit into this GB?

I have operated with RAF Chinooks at sea in the Falkland's and with the off load of troops from the Lebanon back in the early 80's.

If the answer is no I will not be offended.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

splash wrote:Quick question

I have a 1/48 scale British Chinook that I need to build for a friend will it fit into this GB?

I have operated with RAF Chinooks at sea in the Falkland's and with the off load of troops from the Lebanon back in the early 80's.

Regards Splash
Hi Splash,

The key criterion for the GB is that the subject, "must have operated off a ship regularly for at least part of its career".

Given the longevity of the Chinook in RAF (and others') service, I'm not convinced that its service has been "regularly" ship-based (ie as part of regular operations). Consequently, and after some consideration of my intention behind the wording above, I'm going for a no to this one at this stage. However, as I'm far from an expert in the Chinook's career, if anyone can provide more information on the Chinook's ship-based service please get in touch, as I am prepared to revisit my decision if subsequent information warrants.

regards,

Martin
TomW

Post by TomW »

beany wrote:I am having a big problem with this group build - it's too damned good. In addition to the A-6A I am building I keep looking in my stash and finding other suitable subjects because I have a penchant for carrier based aircraft and I don't really know why, it just seems to have developed over the years.

For example, there is this little fellow (and a smaller 1/48 Revell A-6A peeking out as well).

not to mention Revell 1/32 F-14A, Hobby Boss 1/48 Demon, Kinetic 1/48 E-3A and myriad 1/72 jets - Airfix Viking and Vigilante etc. as well as Sea Harriers ranging from 1/24 downwards.

And all this just three months before Telford with the huge list of things I still need to build for that... oh, the pressure :shock:

Cheers
Al.
I've got to admit to the same problem Al, probably 60% of my stash is naval air and I'd love to crack open a few more boxes but I'm all too aware of my poor track record of late with GB non-finishes. Plus I've got similar Telford pressures building up....who said this is only a hobby right?? :ha:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
fredk

Post by fredk »

There is one type, one of which I really, really, really must get around to building. GBs are my primary motivator these days.

Who used Tornado GR4s off ships? :shock:
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

fredk wrote:There is one type, one of which I really, really, really must get around to building. GBs are my primary motivator these days.

Who used Tornado GR4s off ships? :shock:
Lol! I wish! However a swing wing GB has been suggested...
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Martin R wrote:
splash wrote:Quick question

Regards Splash
Hi Splash,

The key criterion for the GB is that the subject, "must have operated off a ship regularly for at least part of its career".

Given the longevity of the Chinook in RAF (and others') service, I'm not convinced that its service has been "regularly" ship-based (ie as part of regular operations). Consequently, and after some consideration of my intention behind the wording above, I'm going for a no to this one at this stage. However, as I'm far from an expert in the Chinook's career, if anyone can provide more information on the Chinook's ship-based service please get in touch, as I am prepared to revisit my decision if subsequent information warrants.

regards,

Martin
No problem it's gone back in the stash. :-D
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

OK next quick question.

How about a RM/Army Air Corps Gazelle as flown from HMS Bulwark / Albion / Fearless @ Intrepid will that fit into this GB?

Regards Splash
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Oh, sod it, I'll do a Seafire...!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Sea Vampire my choice
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

splash wrote:OK next quick question.

How about a RM/Army Air Corps Gazelle as flown from HMS Bulwark / Albion / Fearless @ Intrepid will that fit into this GB?

Regards Splash
OK Al,

After extensive research (ie I Googled "Gazelle helicopter royal navy" and found an entry on Wikipedia, I see the following:

"Commando Helicopter Force was formed in 1997 to consolidate command and control of the various Fleet Air Arm and Royal Marines helicopter squadrons which supported 3 Commando Brigade under Flag Officer Naval Aviation.

In 1999, CHF merged with various Royal Air Force (RAF) and Army Air Corps force elements to become the Joint Helicopter Command, whilst maintaining its status as a formed unit.

It is based at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton in Somerset, England; although aircraft are regularly deployed with 3 Commando Brigade, overseas and to the ships of the Response Force Task Group (RFTG); which includes HMS Ocean (Landing Platform Helicopter), HMS Bulwark (Landing Platform Dock)and other Royal Navy and Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) ships.

Elements of the force have operated in Northern Ireland (until 2002), Sierra Leone in 2000 and Bosnia; and it was an element of the amphibious force for Operation Telic, the British involvement in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, notably supporting the landings to secure the Al-Faw Peninsula. CHF was also a major part of Joint Helicopter Command's contribution to Operation Herrick in Afghanistan."

Given the text in bold, I decree that this strange spinny winged thing is IN!

regards,

MArtin
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Martin thank you, unfortunately on quickly finding the kit I discovered it had the wrong canopy, my work colleague supplied me with the kit as part of a project, he wants a 1/48 scale model of all the a/c he flew in whilst serving in the Armed Forces. The nearest kit we could find was the Heller 1/50 Gazelle that he found on flebay.

Having just checked the parts I found the canopy was off what looks like an Alouette II not a Gazelle so until I can find another kit or canopy its back to the bottom of the build pile.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have just ordered another gazelle from eBay, so if it turns up the build will be back on.

Regards Splash
fredk

Post by fredk »

I'll be a late starter in this. I need to get a few stalled kits done first before I'm overwhelmed by them and get depressed.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

fredk wrote:I'll be a late starter in this. I need to get a few stalled kits done first before I'm overwhelmed by them and get depressed.
OK, Fred, whenever you're ready.
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Can anyone recommend me a nice Seafire? I'm having a look on eBay but not seeing one that immediately takes my fancy...!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!

Return to “Naval Air GB II”