Marky's sneaks in his own Battle!! ***FINISHED***

Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Any kit, any scale, any subject so long as it represents a participant during the period 10 July - 31 October, 1940. The GB runs 15 August through 15 September and your host is DazDaMan.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's sneaks in his own Battle!! ***FINISHED***

Post by MarkyM607 »

Sorry if I'm treading on toes here, I know others are doing the Battle, but I felt like starting my old tool version (is there a new tool??). Here we are after a few days. Not bad but the slight gap at the wing roots underneath will have to be addressed.
As you can see I managed to put the Valiant Wings resin nose on without too much problem. It's quite easy to do, but I can't always saw straight!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Molly-new

Re: Marky's sneaks in his own Battle!!

Post by Molly-new »

I was tempted to go with the resin nose myself so it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes to the kit. Are you addressing the rudder profile as well?
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Molly-new wrote:I was tempted to go with the resin nose myself so it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes to the kit. Are you addressing the rudder profile as well?
Rudder profile? :shock:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Molly-new wrote:I was tempted to go with the resin nose myself so it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes to the kit. Are you addressing the rudder profile as well?
Rudder profile? :shock:
Ahh, now I see what you mean, it's not 'wide' enough in side view. Have made a start on modifying the leading edge. After this I seem to have been sucked into 'fix everything' mode. The nose has already been done, but have also found the wings are to thin chord wise so am having a go at those!.
ImageImageImage
SteveC
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SteveC »

Oh My. That is really impressive.

I just wouldn't know how to do any of that!

Regards,

Steve
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I'm guessing!!. In truth it always helps to have scale plans. I have the seventies issue of Aviation News/Warpaint when it was newspaper size. It has full plans of all Battle versions and the additions to the kit were simply made using a traced shape of the plans wings and tail, the difference between the kit and plans was cut out and placed on plastic sheet. You tape it down in two places and use a marker pen to mark the edges on the plastic. Cut out and glue on!. Then make sure you have a lot of filler spare!!. :grin:
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

That's some very nice scratch work going on here. It'll be nice to see what a Battle actually looks like at last :mrgreen:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

So far so good. Not sure she will be done for the end of the GB but I will try!. My own fault for sneaking another build in and letting my OCD get control!!.
A bit of sprue from the Lancaster build used to increase the wing cord. This will be sanded down and reduced a little at the wing root.
The 'new' horizontal tails being modified. These are actually left over from the Twin tailed Beaufighter build. They will need a little bit adding to the ends to fully match the shape of the Battle's tails.Image
P.S. I found that the kit's horizontal tails are nowhere near big enough, nor are they the correct shape so they are being worked on. There will be some of the original kit left. Somewhere. Promise.
Below is the right wing showing the removed amount to get a flat surface, to allow the sprue to be glued on.Image
My go at the correct tail profile..
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Whew! There's some major improvements going on here!
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I just hope I don't get someone saying it's still wrong!! :lol: . (Shush you lot!!) :ha:
SteveC
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SteveC »

Fantastic work, I don't think that there will be much of the original kit remaining when you've finished.

A month, I couldn't do that in a month of Sundays, plans or no plans!

Regards,

Steve

(Will you build one OOB just to have something to compare it with ;-) )
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

SteveC wrote:Fantastic work, I don't think that there will be much of the original kit remaining when you've finished.

A month, I couldn't do that in a month of Sundays, plans or no plans!

Regards,

Steve

(Will you build one OOB just to have something to compare it with ;-) )
There will be the fuselage from the front seat to the tail start. And most of the wings are still there. If you, look hard enough!!. :lol: . I wouldn't have started any of the modifications if Molly-New hadn't brought up the tail profile!!. Oh and thanks for the compliment. :grin: Strangely enjoying this as it has some 'proper modelling' about it in that I'm sort of making the tails and adding bits of plastic to modify the wings!.
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

MarkyM607 wrote:I wouldn't have started any of the modifications if Molly-New hadn't brought up the tail profile!!
Oops. Sorry about that, but seeing as you are enjoying it........ :-D

I only new about the nose and tail modifications from viewing other builds on the net. With all the great work you are doing to this you will end up setting the bar high for future builds. ;-) Glad I'm building mine now. :-D
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Molly-new wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:I wouldn't have started any of the modifications if Molly-New hadn't brought up the tail profile!!
Oops. Sorry about that, but seeing as you are enjoying it........ :-D

I only new about the nose and tail modifications from viewing other builds on the net. With all the great work you are doing to this you will end up setting the bar high for future builds. ;-) Glad I'm building mine now. :-D
That's okay, a bit of 'proper modelling' is always a refresher for the mojo. It's getting there but I do hope I haven't been rude and elbowed my build in over yours and others?!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Getting some work done here!. I may have sneaked this into the GB but it may also have to sneak into the finish line as well!!. The wings just need finishing off and the tails completing before attaching. Hopefully then it will be painting and decals and done!!.
The former Beaufighter tails now added to, to make Battle tails. The one at top is the original kit tail.

Return to “Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary”