Miguelito's Bristol Blenheim Mk. IVF

Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Any kit, any scale, any subject so long as it represents a participant during the period 10 July - 31 October, 1940. The GB runs 15 August through 15 September and your host is DazDaMan.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Miguelito's Bristol Blenheim Mk. IVF

Post by mjatx »

For this Group Build, I'll be working on this oldie...(but goodie ?)...I assume the new molding is the better kit, but I've got this one on the shelf and the appropriate markings for a BoB Blenheim squadron...so what the heck!

Coastal Command's No. 235 Squadron, Bristol Blenheim Mk IVF.

Look at all that beautiful blue plastic. I almost hate to paint it!

Of course, one of the wings is pretty badly warped, so straightening those out and masking the canopies should take me until the end of September...2017, but I have high hopes of being able to complete this one on time.

Just for clarification, the underside of the fuselage should be painted Sky Type S, correct?
mjatx

Re: Miguelito's Bristol Blenheim Mk. IVF

Post by mjatx »

Taking my first look at the kit close up, and the warping is worse that I expected. The sprues have a considerable amount of flash too, but nothing I wouldn't have expected from this vintage.

The right wing looks fine, but the left is another story. The same goes for the fuselage halves.

However, with a hair dryer, some tape, and 30 minutes later, I started to make some progress.

I assembled the cockpit, and it looks OK, but I'll probably add some additional items to busy it up. With all the clear parts up front, I want to make sure I busy up the cockpit and navigator's office a little more.

I apologize for the photo quality. I'm using my cell phone, and the settings are a little tricky working with photobucket.
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Nice neat job so far-should come out looking great.
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

I built this many moons ago and I seem to recall there being serious fit issues with the clear parts.. of course, that might have been down to my own lack of skill!
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
SteveC
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SteveC »

That's looking good.

The cockpit looks very roomy for just one man!

Regards,

Steve
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Arcwelder wrote:I built this many moons ago and I seem to recall there being serious fit issues with the clear parts.. of course, that might have been down to my own lack of skill!
I'm pretty sure, I'll have many issues with the clear parts before this is over, and from what I can tell, the fit of the non-clear parts is going to be tricky too!
SteveC wrote:That's looking good.

The cockpit looks very roomy for just one man!

Regards,

Steve
The cockpit is definitely out of scale, or else the pilots were required to have 6 foot long arms and legs; however, there is space there for a navigator, who rode in front of the pilot facing sideways. In real-life, it looks like pretty cramped quarters. Because of the abundance of room up front, I decided to add a few more details...most of which I used full artistic license to create.

Here's the cockpit with additions and priming.

I plan on trying to cover the sink hole in the seat with some seat belts. Here's the kit after the base interior color was applied.

That's all for tonight. I'll work on touching up the details in the cockpit next...then masking the canopy.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

That looks really smart now.

The seat belt idea is a good one!

Regards,

Steve
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

SteveC wrote:That looks really smart now.

The seat belt idea is a good one!

Regards,

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I figure why fix an issue, if you can hide it.

I found a mask set for a 1/72 Blenheim, but I don't think it was for this kit....although, I don't know if there are other 1/72 Blenheim kits. The masks were a CLOSE fit, close enough that most worked just fine. Now to touch up the cockpit, and get the fuselage together.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

The cockpit is as finished as it's going to be.

One more canopy piece to mask, then I can seal up the fuselage. That's when the fun will start. I can already tell there are going to be some significant fit issues almost all the way around the entire length of the fuselage. Oh well, it's not like I didn't know what I was getting into when I opened the box.

I'm planning on doing a Blitz this afternoon/evening, so the Blenheim will go back in the box and out of the way for a little while.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

That cockpit looks pretty impressive now. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards,

Steve
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

SteveC wrote:That cockpit looks pretty impressive now. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards,

Steve
Thanks, Steve.

I masked the canopy, turret, and other clear parts, then as I was preparing to assemble the fuselage the left-hand cockpit window went missing. I began a search around the desk, in open kits, and across the carpet with no luck. Thinking it had been lost forever, I quietly tucked the kit away. I knew that once I did that, the missing piece would show up at some point.

Then, last night, the piece did show up....right where I had left it. I guess. Actually, I'm not sure where it went/was, but now that I've found the missing piece, I can resume construction. However, between work and life, I only have until about Thursday evening to complete the kit to get it done before the end of the GB. I'm fairly certain, this won't be possible, but I'll give it the old "college try" (which usually involves massive amounts of alcohol) starting later this evening.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

mjatx wrote:I'll give it the old "college try" (which usually involves massive amounts of alcohol) starting later this evening.
Sounds like a plan. :beer:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I knew this was going to be a tough build, but it's turned out more challenging than I'd hoped and I will be calling this a DNF. This kit is more of a challenge and will require more time/effort than I'm willing to put in, for what I think at the end of the day, will just turn out to be a mediocre example.

Even with the "old college try", I just couldn't get my heart into it. Here's the 'missing' (but later found) canopy getting a test fit.

It took FOREVER to get the fuselage to this point...and even then the lower part of the fuselage was a mess.

To add insult, to injury, after dealing with the warped wings and fuselage, I found that one of the landing gear legs was missing from the kit. Not the end of the world, we've all dealt with worse. However, as I was in the process of fabricating a new landing gear, I noticed one of the props was 'drooping'. It looked broken and when I picked it to inspect it closer...it was broken.

This kit provided one challenge after another, so with more than enough kits on my bench at the moment, I calmly boxed up the kit, put it neatly on the shelf of doom, promptly kicked a hole in the wall, took another sip of beer, and got to work on the next model. After all, this is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun.
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Absolutely the correct attitude. I built the damn thing, knowing it was wonky all over the place and then my brother's tempestous girlfriend did the world a favour by throwing it at him during a row. She was hugely apologetic, but I didn't mind in the slightest.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Only a sip of beer??? :shock:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary”