Historical References

For seaplanes, floatplanes, and amphibians - any kit, any scale, any variant, any markings - to include whiffs.
The GB runs from 29 August through 4 October and your hosts are Lancfan and VickersVandal.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Historical References

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Here ask questions and post historical information and references about the subject of the GB.
Arcwelder
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Historical References

Post by Arcwelder »

OK, here's something I mentioned in the build thread for the Channel, wondering if anyone has thoughts or more information on this.

While doing some research, I came across a discussion on the Seawings forum regarding the finish of the hull of the Channel and other early Supermarine flying boats. It would appear from contemporary sources that the hulls were made of wooden planking but then covered with doped fabric. See this description from a 1920 edition of "Flight" for example:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 00801.html

Choroszy's own excellent side views seem to show a fabric finish rather than wood and, while it's hard to see the finish due to the age of contemporary photos, they do seem more like fabric too. However many models, including Nic Aronica's superb and well researched (check out the anchor and mooring line!) build of the Channel

http://www.ipms-farnborough.co.uk/html/ ... ry_22.html

and even the Southampton at Hendon have gone for the natural-wood finish.

So, Artistic License or is there evidence that these aircraft weren't always fabric-covered? I'm not all that fussed as I'm more interested in a good-looking model than pinpoint historical accuracy but as someone with a bit of a "thing" for early FBs, especially Supermarines, I'd like to hear any thoughts or opinions on this (I'm also bored at work!).
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I read the two chapters from Andrews & Morgan Supermarine Aircraft since 1914 and the sole construction description is that "on circular hooped frames was a skin formed on a mould from double diagonal mahogany planking laid crosswise, with fabric sandwiched between the layers." This description is pretty much echoed in London's British Flying Boats.

There are a number of wood-skinned aircraft with a fabric cover over that, that have been misinterpreted by the model industry - most notable the Anson wings, by both Airfix and Classic Airframes, although each differently.

My own thought, FWIW, is to go with wood.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Arcwelder
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Arcwelder »

Cheers, John.

The wood would be my leaning, too.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12

Return to “Water Wings”