Rogue One - Everything the prequels should have been !!!

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Rogue One - Everything the prequels should have been !!!

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Strictly IMO ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rogue One - Everything the prequels should have been !!!

Post by VickersVandal »

Glad it pressed all your buttons :)

I thought it was brilliantly well made, spectacularly so in fact, but somehow I felt like it had no soul and overall it left me cold. TFA is still far and above my favourite Star Wars film. I think I need to watch R1 another time to fully make up my mind on it, but the fact remains that it didn't grab me from the start.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

I'm 99% favourable. I think my biggest problem with the film is that Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones), while being absolutely crucial to the plot, seems somewhat distanced from the film (her character, I mean, not her as an actress). Not sure if I'm making sense, but she's supposed to be the central character, and yet, she kind of isn't. Sort of hurts the emotional impact of it a little bit.

Other than that ... I loved it.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
chrism

Post by chrism »

Never watched any Star Wars film to the end. in face only seen part of the very first. an ex-partener tried with The very first of them but i couldn't understand what it was all about.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
iggie

Post by iggie »

chrism wrote:Never watched any Star Wars film to the end. in face only seen part of the very first. an ex-partener tried with The very first of them but i couldn't understand what it was all about.
Well you see, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away........ Image

:-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I agree with John - had the prequels been this good....... Instead, we got JarJar Binks and Hadyn Christensen - I can't decide who was the worse actor.....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

We were going to see it tonight but our daughter has gone into labour and it appears that I'm going to imminently become a grandfather. :shock:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Dazzled wrote:We were going to see it tonight but our daughter has gone into labour and it appears that I'm going to imminently become a grandfather. :shock:
Way to go Image

Hope all proceeds well!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Dazzled wrote:We were going to see it tonight but our daughter has gone into labour and it appears that I'm going to imminently become a grandfather. :shock:
Hope everything goes well mate. They say the best thing about being a grandparent is you can hand them back. ;-)
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Priorities, man - you can become a grandfather any time; how many times does a new Star Wars movie come out?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

PaulBradley wrote:I agree with John - had the prequels been this good....... Instead, we got JarJar Binks and Hadyn Christensen - I can't decide who was the worse actor.....
The blame for both can be laid squarely at the feet of one Mr George Lucas. Christensen has demonstrated, in other films, that he is a perfectly competent actor. However, if you're given terrible dialogue and the director is more interested in visualising the green screen behind you instead of the performance you're actually giving, your performance is going to suffer. The only actors who come out of the prequels with their reputations unsullied are those who had many years of experience, and therefore didn't need Lucas' (non-)direction.

As for Jar Jar ... Lucas was convinced that he was funny. You can't have too much funny, right? It didn't stop at Phantom Menace ... Jar Jar appears several times in The Clone Wars (animated TV show) -- at Lucas' specific insistence -- and on each occasion he's just falling on his face, repeatedly, because after all -- that's funny! (Right?)

Lucas needed a trusted individual to whisper in his ear at critical moments "don't do this". Instead he surrounded himself with literally hundreds of yes-men, not a single one of which would dare to utter any contrary view. (And why would they? They like working!) His entire film career was a quest for complete control of the film-making process, and he achieved that quest -- and was then surprised when people liked the earlier stuff he did better. That hurt his feelings, so he retired.

Still, it all came out OK in the wash.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

PaulBradley wrote:
Priorities, man - you can become a grandfather any time; how many times does a new Star Wars movie come out?
You're absolutely right of course :ha:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

But I liked Jar Jar he was the best bit of the film.

Don't get me wrong I watched the very first Star Wars film when it first came out and loved it, since then it's been all been down hill.

I have not seen the new film but thought the previous film was just a straight rip off from the very first and hence a total waist of time.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “General Chat”