D I Y projects.

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
Gregers
Forum founder

D I Y projects.

Post by Gregers »

D I Y. For some it meane 'Do it yourself' Others it is more like Destroy it yourself. How about a thread showcasing our projects whether successful or disastrous. I will start it off with this.
Some time ago Sarah told me about an idea she saw online where people were making garden furniture from recycled pallets. I knew what was going to be asked before she finished telling me. Sure enough a request was made and I started sourcing pallets. (Incidentally, apart from hanging doors the last time I did any woodwork was at school some 35 years ago) Fortunately I have an estate car (station wagon) so getting them home wasn't an issue. I will stop boring you all with the story but here is the result.

All the best.

Greg
Attachments
20170520_111059.jpg
20170520_111059.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 422 times
20170520_111046.jpg
20170520_111046.jpg (94.91 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: D I Y projects.

Post by dollar19 »

That is spot on Greg! Not a thing wrong with that. I like the cable reel table too, nice touch! All you need now is to put Sarah to work making some cushions.

I wonder how long it will take before you're making a fire pit?

Seriously nice job. Pallets are not the easiest material to work with, my hat is off to you! Bravo
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers Greg.
It ws a bit awkward espwcially considering there is a ridge of earth just inside the fence but I used the seat base pallets to bridge the gap and rest on top if the ridge after a bit of spade work. To give an idea of size the fence panels are 6ft wide. The seat is lined with half inch marine ply. And speaking of firepits. See below. Please ignore the state of the garden. Still work in progress.

All the best.

Greg
Attachments
20170520_151127.jpg
20170520_151127.jpg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's a really great effort Greg, I'm very impressed I have to say. Although I have managed a number DIY tasks such as painting, fitting taps and light switches well enough, I am utterly rubbish at any sort of woodwork, whereas my dad was great at it and used to make all sorts of stuff. As I've said on here before, none of you would want me to come round to plane your doors, seriously :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

What next? A pergola maybe?
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

From where I'm sitting I think you have a lovely place.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers Greg. Much appreciated.

I am considering putting uprights on the corners of the garden seat and adding a roof. Don't know if I should or not yet. To be honest all i think Sarah wanted was a couple of smallish seats but I got a bit carried away but she is happy with the result and thats the main thing.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Always, ALWAYS keep the Mrs. happy!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good work on the pallet furniture - makes me wonder why you have store-bought stuff also :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

We used the glass top table and the chairs before I built the furnature. We'll keep hold of it incase we have any garden parties and have a few friends round. Sarah wants to buy a marquee to go over the pallet seat. We had one but it was left out one night and it was wrecked by strong winds.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Gregers wrote:We used the glass top table and the chairs before I built the furnature. We'll keep hold of it incase we have any garden parties and have a few friends round. Sarah wants to buy a marquee to go over the pallet seat. We had one but it was left out one night and it was wrecked by strong winds.

All the best.

Greg
Some people could sit in the 140!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie

Post by iggie »

Great use of the old pallets Greg, and a fantastic outdoor space!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers guys. Got to admit if anyone climbs into the 140 thet wouldn't be very comfortable. Plus there are more than a few sharp edges. Not to mention upsetting me more than a little bit. I am still in the process of stripping it out.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Looks like we've found a venue for the next UAMF Anniversary celebrations!! Nice work Greg, very impressive. ;-)
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Nice work Greg. Barbecue at the ready and main course in the cage I see ;-)

I'm not averse to a little DIY myself. My hobby room was plastered, partially rewired and completely fitted out with bespoke/recycled by me; I'm in the process of finishing our fitted kitchen and that includes a bespoke walk-in larder cupboard plus a load of other stuff around the house beyond normal decorating. I also sometimes restore old furniture or build some to suit our needs. This is a little telephone table I made about 10 years ago.

I made everything myself apart from the legs, which were cut down stair newel posts, and the drawer knob and to make the dovetails in the drawer I had to make my own dovetail jig.

It's got a bit of patina on it because we do use it day to day.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “General Chat”