Is it the norm to build a stash up

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Is it the norm to build a stash up

Post by billyb_imp »

My wonderfully understanding wife Margaret finally thinks ive lost it.

Having read various threads I see that many of the modellers on here have a stash of models either for saving in the boxes for future...... or building when they get round to them.

Now my modelling skills are not all they should be but I have told Margaret I have a few kits that I was going to buy and build them in the future, telling her that the Spitfire & Hurricane I bought where to help me hone my skills (I will need more honing models too)

Is this the normal behaviour of a newly addicted modeller :lol:
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Is it the norm to build a stash up

Post by Purplethistle »

Sadly, yes! It's not uncommon to read, say, an illustrated Squadron history and think, 'Ooooh! so many really nice paint schemes! what one to do?....why not do them all?' .....that's why I have 8 F-16s in my stash and I won't even try to count the Spits, Scooters and Slufs!!!!!
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

P.S. It's probably an oxymoron to use 'Normal behaviour' and 'Modeller' in the same sentence. :ha:
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

Yes it is!
Deal with it!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Not only is it normal, it's required by modelling law!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Most modellers have a stash they will never get around to building in three lifetimes Billy let alone the one they have been granted. I have, by the standards of many on here, a modest stash of around 50 kits but if I had my modelling time again I wouldn't have more than a couple in stock at any given time. I kick myself every time I open the cupboard doors and see all of the boxes staring back at me! Although many will seek to argue otherwise, IMHO amassing a large stash that you will never get around to building is little more than a waste of money. Be warned, once started, building a stash is a difficult habit to give up!!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:Most modellers have a stash they will never get around to building in three lifetimes Billy let alone the one they have been granted. I have, by the standards of many on here, a modest stash of around 50 kits but if I had my modelling time again I wouldn't have more than a couple in stock at any given time. I kick myself every time I open the cupboard doors and see all of the boxes staring back at me! Although many will seek to argue otherwise, IMHO amassing a large stash that you will never get around to building is little more than a waste of money. Be warned, once started, building a stash is a difficult habit to give up!!
I'd second that - my 1/72 stash is about 50 and it's far, far too many (which is why I'm trying to sell some off). There's nothing wrong with having a stash, but it is a bit of an Albatross around your neck. I would personally suggest trying to keep it around the 5 kits (not in wip) mark - that's what I'm trying to do with my 1/48 kits.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Sir T wrote:
ShaunW wrote:Most modellers have a stash they will never get around to building in three lifetimes Billy let alone the one they have been granted. I have, by the standards of many on here, a modest stash of around 50 kits but if I had my modelling time again I wouldn't have more than a couple in stock at any given time. I kick myself every time I open the cupboard doors and see all of the boxes staring back at me! Although many will seek to argue otherwise, IMHO amassing a large stash that you will never get around to building is little more than a waste of money. Be warned, once started, building a stash is a difficult habit to give up!!
I'd second that - my 1/72 stash is about 50 and it's far, far too many (which is why I'm trying to sell some off). There's nothing wrong with having a stash, but it is a bit of an Albatross around your neck. I would personally suggest trying to keep it around the 5 kits (not in wip) mark - that's what I'm trying to do with my 1/48 kits.
Five kits seems sensible, I suppose it will become difficult to keep the WIP's down to a practical level too
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

billyb_imp wrote:
Sir T wrote:
Five kits seems sensible, I suppose it will become difficult to keep the WIP's down to a practical level too
lol - Yes that can sometime be a problem.

I suppose it all depends on what you enjoy in the hobby, if you're the kind of person that enjoy's a large stash and a bench full of wip - then go for it.

However if you're not... heed the lessons of us poor souls that have perished before you :-D
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm certain that my stash will outlast me; certainly as long as I'm working. Once (if?!) I get to retirement age, then I'll stand more chance of building what I already own......
My focus changes over time, and so I have periodic clear outs to make way for more kits that fit better with where my modelling tastes are heading at the time. Currently my choices are mostly 1/32 aircraft, 1/350 ships and Bandai Star Wars kits. That said, anything else that catches my eye will often arrive chez iggie so the stash remains fairly diverse!
In moments of introspection and being honest with myself, buying kits is at best a habit and at worst bordering on an addiction; but in my defence your honour, it has no detrimental effect on my health and although it has an immediate effect on my wallet, I can recover most, possibly all and maybe even more than the outlay if needed.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Iggie,
Don't kid yourself about modelling opportunities once you retire! I am and I am sooo busy, modelling becomes a challenge to fit into the time available.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
iggie

Post by iggie »

TeeELL wrote:Iggie,
Don't kid yourself about modelling opportunities once you retire! I am and I am sooo busy, modelling becomes a challenge to fit into the time available.
:-D :-D
Shhhhhhh! I can dream :grin: :grin: :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Thanks for all your advice, I had better make a small list of essentials and get an order ready, just 5 aircraft then and maybe a couple of bikes, but I still need others to hone my skills on / mess up :lol: :lol:

TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I've not got a stash at all! Well I didn't think I did, until 3 kits arrived this week and I've no idea who ordered them!!! That gives me 11 or 12 models of aircraft flown by 29(F) Sqn to build, 2 training aircraft I flew as a student and 2 as an instructor and finally 6 MiGs flown by Cuban air force. Then I have about 4 'other' aircraft I have flown, including the L39 and Strikemaster. So no 'stash' at all.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

TeeELL wrote:I've not got a stash at all! Well I didn't think I did, until 3 kits arrived this week and I've no idea who ordered them!!! That gives me 11 or 12 models of aircraft flown by 29(F) Sqn to build, 2 training aircraft I flew as a student and 2 as an instructor and finally 6 MiGs flown by Cuban air force. Then I have about 4 'other' aircraft I have flown, including the L39 and Strikemaster. So no 'stash' at all.
Now thats a good idea, come up with a reason to have your stash, such as "Ive flown them" i'm afraid that doesnt work for me because I cant fly, but I was thinking of trying to model all the aircraft I see at RAF Coningsby where I work, that's still likely to be to many :lol:

Return to “General Chat”