Is it the norm to build a stash up

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Is it the norm to build a stash up

Post by iggie »

TeeELL wrote: 3 kits arrived this week and I've no idea who ordered them!!!
And so it begins.......... :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hmmm. Pictures are supposed to speak louder than words so.........
Attachments
20170323_221721.jpg
20170323_221721.jpg (94.89 KiB) Viewed 412 times
20170323_221714.jpg
20170323_221714.jpg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 412 times
20170323_221724.jpg
20170323_221724.jpg (117.18 KiB) Viewed 412 times
20170323_221649.jpg
20170323_221649.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 412 times
20170323_221645.jpg
20170323_221645.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 412 times
20170323_221657.jpg
20170323_221657.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 412 times
20170323_221639.jpg
20170323_221639.jpg (111.7 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

No way am I branching out into the loft, I still have plenty of room down the shed although there is a fair amount of wood (for turning) in there, I may have to build a separate wood store, not this year though :lol:
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
celt

Post by celt »

I have never had a stash,I buy a kit build it and then buy another one.The most kits I have ever had at any one time is five.Most of my completed models were then given away to nephews and cousins to play with.For me it was the building that was important,once it was finished,my interest turned to the next kit.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Yep, perfectly normal :-D

That's most of it ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

I like how you can stand in the doorway and become a part of your stash. Very zen. :beer:

Nigel
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I have a "good" sized stash and one that wont be getting much bigger any time soon.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

My stash remains at two, and one of them is a WIP, got a long list though that needs whittling down somewhat
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

It just tends to happen, some things to watch for that will make your stash even bigger is,

1/ Buying the same subject in multiple lots because you want different colour/squadron/user and/or weapons loads.
2/ Buying kits online.
3/ Finding a taste for acquiring hard to find kits or classic kits.
4/ Wanting the newest tool of a subject even though you have 12 already of older moulds by different manufacturers.
5/ Joining sites like this one where someone posts a pic or a review and all of a sudden you must have this kit of a subject you have never heard of or thought you were only lukewarm about.

My wife thought I had too many when I only had a stash of 20 kits, 20 years ago. Now my garage is crammed full. Will I ever build them all? I am not sure, I think some will end up being sold off.

You also go through stages of being more into the hobby than at other times and if you have looked at sites like Ebay you often see collections being sold off. Tread with caution but still have fun.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Wise words from all of you. I have an entirely unreliable paper inventory list of the kits I have come to possess over the years and a roundabout estimate is +/-650 (that's not a typo), of which about 200 or so are built and another several dozen built and in storage that are not aging well. At my current inconsistent building pattern I would probably need to live to about 300 to finish them all and need a proper gallery with a high ceiling to display them all.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Sounds like your situation as a modeler is perfectly normal. I got to a point that I actually dreaded doing an inventory (for possible insurance considerations), but I found "Scale Mates" where you can build a database for your kits complete with pictures of most known boxing's and art.. It sure is a life saver. I was a bit upset when I finished when I found that I had fewer than 400 kits!
uavdb (Dave)
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

I should try that. Either way a proper reckoning of what's there will be staggering.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
iggie

Post by iggie »

Mine is currently hovering around the 350 mark; although I still make regular acquisitions, I also have limited clearouts from time to time which keeps a reasonable balance. The size of the kits is growing however so stash space is still expanding if not the number :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “General Chat”