Huge Life Change

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Huge Life Change

Post by PaulBradley »

You guys are depressing me.... I'm just starting out looking for a different job at 52 - I am hopeful the British accent and my broad range of experience is helpful......
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

PaulBradley wrote:You guys are depressing me.... I'm just starting out looking for a different job at 52 - I am hopeful the British accent and my broad range of experience is helpful......
You could play a villain in a movie, British accent is always good for that!! :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Update... we have been in Arizona for nearly a month and have been working on getting the house in order (unboxing all of our stuff) and getting used to a very different location. We have so many mesquite tree's on the property its mind boggling, and we even have two big and beautiful Saguaro cactus on the property among other varieties like the Cholla (choyah) cactus, barrel, and some prickly pear as well. The wildlife here is abundant and amazing. Golden eagles riding thermals are common, and there are lizards as big as dinosaurs, ok, maybe not that big but impressive. Lots of woodpeckers, doves and quail, cotton tail rabbits and a lot of ground chipmunks. We got here just as the monsoon season was starting and have had some extremely impressive thunderstorms which we love. Downside is the humidity that comes with it, but that's ok, that's what air conditioning is for, right? We are also near Davis Monthan AFB and its F-16's and A-10's flying all over the place, as well as the Pima Air and Space museum and the boneyard full of C-130's, A-10's, some C-141's and I thought I saw some C-5's too. I hope to start getting back to building soon as my model room id nearly up and running. I'll upload some pics of it soon. BTW, Modeling Madness has a current contest and the subject is "Lindberg" pretty much out of the box. I plan on entering with my Do-335 which I was working on before we started this crazy adventure. I know some of you have an old Lindberg kit in your stashes, so....
uavdb (Dave)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

uavdb wrote:Update... we have been in Arizona for nearly a month and have been working on getting the house in order (unboxing all of our stuff) and getting used to a very different location. We have so many mesquite tree's on the property its mind boggling, and we even have two big and beautiful Saguaro cactus on the property among other varieties like the Cholla (choyah) cactus, barrel, and some prickly pear as well. The wildlife here is abundant and amazing. Golden eagles riding thermals are common, and there are lizards as big as dinosaurs, ok, maybe not that big but impressive. Lots of woodpeckers, doves and quail, cotton tail rabbits and a lot of ground chipmunks. We got here just as the monsoon season was starting and have had some extremely impressive thunderstorms which we love. Downside is the humidity that comes with it, but that's ok, that's what air conditioning is for, right? We are also near Davis Monthan AFB and its F-16's and A-10's flying all over the place, as well as the Pima Air and Space museum and the boneyard full of C-130's, A-10's, some C-141's and I thought I saw some C-5's too. I hope to start getting back to building soon as my model room id nearly up and running. I'll upload some pics of it soon. BTW, Modeling Madness has a current contest and the subject is "Lindberg" pretty much out of the box. I plan on entering with my Do-335 which I was working on before we started this crazy adventure. I know some of you have an old Lindberg kit in your stashes, so....
Feeling jealous here. Raining... again... :evil:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Sounds wonderful and I'm pleased you are enjoying your new home and surroundings.....
Pictures of the surroundings as well as your modelling room please!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sounds idyllic, Dave and it's great to hear that you are settling into your new life!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Not saying it sounds awesome but if I win the lottery you may get a new neighbour :grin:

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Sounds as if you are settling in well, Dave! I believe there is an IPMS chapter in Tucson, and the IPMS/USA Nationals are in PHX next year.
Gregers wrote:Not saying it sounds awesome but if I win the lottery you may get a new neighbour :grin:
We'll hold you to that, Greg!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Update...we are finally getting into a normal everyday routine after about 14 months of retirement. Things are finally settling and tensions of the move and general issues have been systematically chipped away at, so we are much closer to back to normal. Our retirement and move to another state was logistically very stressful and at times quite difficult. That being said, we wouldn't change our decision at all. We have both been very busy adjusting to our new positions in life and we have found something very interesting....we have found that after a lifetime of both of us working, then suddenly being together from morning to night, for the most part, can be challenging. Life is good, she is sewing up a storm and I've been back in the modeling saddle big time! YAYYYY! I'll now attempt to add some pics of my new modelling room...trying to figure out this new to me image hosting deal...
uavdb (Dave)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Dave,
I edited your picture link to put a slash before img in the closing tag & now it works.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

jRatz wrote:Dave,
I edited your picture link to put a slash before img in the closing tag & now it works.
Thank you for the help! I've subscribed to a new image service and I'm trying to figure it out. I have been uploading pics of a couple of kits built just prior to the move, and several that I've completed this year. I'm going to start posting them and see if that slash thing makes them appear. Might as well start with the ancient Frog P-47 that was finished just before the mayhem started when we decided to retire. This kit was an absolute pleasure to build and as basic as it could be. The MLG was molded into the gear doors and the cockpit is just a slab from one side to the other, and there are no wheel wells. I was impressed that this oldie has very nicely engraved panel lines. The down side was it also had the insignia lines engraved. It was rattle can painted with Tamiya TS-17 gloss aluminum and brush painted black instead of using the decal stripes. The kit stars and bars were used and worked beautifully. I was gloss coated and decaled and finished, and is one of my favorites hanging from the ceiling among my other 1/72 air force of models.
Looks like I cant get it to work :frown: can you show me what you did J?
uavdb (Dave)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Your image service should provide you a link.
In your post, in the menu area, click on the Img in a box -- that will provide you a starting and ending url tag.
The img tags will look like {img}{/img} - except they will have brackets instead of braces.
Copy then paste the link from your image site between them.
Ensure you don't have any blank spaces after the starting tag or before the ending tag.

Some hosting services provide pre-formatted links -- see if yours provides BB Code because it should include the img tags already and you can just insert that directly.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Retirement can be stressful because it is such a change. Moving can be stressful. Combine the two and you have a perfect stress storm brewing.

Glad to see you are settling into a new routine. I passed 60 a few weeks ago and am still working pretty much flat out.
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Thanks John, I'll give that a try. I've been selected for jury duty here in Tucson today, and they are saying that it will run the rest of this week until next Friday!! So needless to say I'll be preoccupied for a bit...but like they say, "it's our civil duty". Oy vey. It's so boring..
uavdb (Dave)
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Eric...you're exactly right. My wife and I were having a really difficult time adjusting to being together from morning till night after both of us were in management positions for so long, which made it even worse. We figured that problem out after a few months and have been working it out since and things are a lot better now.
uavdb (Dave)

Return to “General Chat”