cats vs rats

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

cats vs rats

Post by rob_van_riel »

My cats take their jobs as rodent control officers very serious, if the amount of spare parts I find is any indication. And it's just that, parts, since they make an effort to eat what they kill (some kills are too large for the stomachs though, to the noticable distress of the cats). With one notable exception: rats just get executed, never eaten. Not a byte.

What I don't get, is why? They'll eat anything, so why not rats. Rats seem to be the only things they hunt and kill for sheer kicks. Any theories, anyone?
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: cats vs rats

Post by Gregers »

Possibly that they see rats as more 'enemy' than prey. Large for a rodent and a challenger for resources. When I lived in Methley my house backed onto a farm yard and my two cats regularly went there hunting rats, rarely did they bring them home though and like your cat, never eaten. Mice and voles they did bring home, sometimes still alive which caused much amusement for the cats watching our attempts at catching them.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: cats vs rats

Post by iggie »

Now you mention it, the only rat our cat has brought in was still alive, and she showed no signs of wanting to do anything to it other than leave it on the mat for us to deal with.....mice on the other hand get terminated with much prejudice almost exclusively. Strange......

The only exception for dead mice ended up living with us for a year in a spare cage we had, and was named Lucky :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “General Chat”