Dare County Airport Museum video

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Dare County Airport Museum video

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have made reference to "my" museum at times here -- I'm the Curator of the Dare County Regional Airport Museum and have been for since 2006. I like to tell visitors, particularly locals, that I am saving the county money as my predecessor got a $1/year but I declined that. I am primarily a one-man band, more in the care-taking mode, than doing significant new work, but that will change in 2018.

County PR has just done a new promo video, available on YouTube: https://youtu.be/4ZWDTp-9qZo; that I thought I would share.

Comments & questions ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dare County Airport Museum video

Post by DavidWomby »

Fascinating. I'd never heard of the Civil Air Patrol before.

thanks

David
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

That's really good, John... nice to see and hear you talk after all this time! It's a very interesting tale, and the museum looks like it does a great job of bringing together a good selection of real artifacts to tell it. A couple of questions, if I may? Was the autogyro company local, or was it just that it employed your local barnstormer guy? I think I'd like to hear more about it. And were there any female pilots in the CAP? It sounds like something that could have been open to them, like the ATA in the UK, and I thought I maybe saw some ladies among the pictures. Just thinking that if so, it might be worth mentioning them somewhere in there...

Great stuff, and complements on your stewardship of this splendid local asset.

All the best,
M.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's a great video John and thanks for sharing - It's great to put a face and a voice to the name.

I truly love these little local museums and your's looks great. I found the CAP aspect really interesting, I didn't know about their involvement in WWII - very brave men (and I assume women?) indeed.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

This is really cool John.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, guys.

David: Being a Florida guy, you had CAP Coastal Patrol Bases at Lantana, Flagler Beach, Miami, Sarasota, and Panama City. You might find Louis Keefer's book From Maine to Mexico interesting.

Matt: No, these were Kellett autogiros, manufactured up around Philadelphia. Kellett grew from licensed Pitcairn/Ciera to doing their own design and production but didn't survive the helicopter.

Matt & Stuart: Females were allowed as pilots in the CAP but not at Coastal Patrol Bases because that was effectively considered combat -- we did have female ground staff. These were all civilian volunteers and a few of them were married couples.
celt

Post by celt »

Hi jRatz,just watched the clip,very interesting hobby you have got.Well tidy mun.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Fascinating stuff, pity it's so far from me because I really want to have a look around!!. It's also good that someone can talk for nearly ten minutes and not be at all boring!! (this was meant as a compliment as you made such a good job of the talking that it was easy to listen to even when ogling all of the artefacts and display's).

Thanks for putting this on.

And why aren't you green?. :lol: :lol: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

That is a really well put together video John, and so well narrated. Like Marky, if it were not so far away, I'd love to visit as it is exactly the kind of place I like, clearly instigated and maintained by people who care.

And it also must be said that you must have the prettiest airport building ever!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Now that is what I call interesting and the museum would be a great place to spend some time. Pity there's rather a large body of water between it and me or I'd be there on Sunday! Thanks for sharing, John - you make a good presenter!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MarkyM607 wrote:Fascinating stuff, pity it's so far from me because I really want to have a look around!!. It's also good that someone can talk for nearly ten minutes and not be at all boring!! (this was meant as a compliment as you made such a good job of the talking that it was easy to listen to even when ogling all of the artefacts and display's).

The Video guy spent half a day photographing/videoing everything. Then he sat me in a chair and started asking leading questions with the camera running - that took a couple hours. I was not allowed to wander around and wave my hands as I like to do.

He then went back and figured out how to reduce/rearrange all that to 9 mostly coherent minutes, which was the max they wanted. We agreed on a couple swaps of talk and pix to catch some points I thought important and that was it.

The real credit goes to him for sorting through it all to come up with that presentation.

But yes, if you come over, I can go on as long as you have :) And if anyone plans to, please let me know so I can make every effort to be available.
MarkyM607 wrote:And why aren't you green?. :lol: :lol: :ha:
It's the lighting :)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

jRatz wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Fascinating stuff, pity it's so far from me because I really want to have a look around!!. It's also good that someone can talk for nearly ten minutes and not be at all boring!! (this was meant as a compliment as you made such a good job of the talking that it was easy to listen to even when ogling all of the artefacts and display's).

The Video guy spent half a day photographing/videoing everything. Then he sat me in a chair and started asking leading questions with the camera running - that took a couple hours. I was not allowed to wander around and wave my hands as I like to do.

He then went back and figured out how to reduce/rearrange all that to 9 mostly coherent minutes, which was the max they wanted. We agreed on a couple swaps of talk and pix to catch some points I thought important and that was it.

The real credit goes to him for sorting through it all to come up with that presentation.

But yes, if you come over, I can go on as long as you have :) And if anyone plans to, please let me know so I can make every effort to be available.
MarkyM607 wrote:And why aren't you green?. :lol: :lol: :ha:
It's the lighting :)
:lol: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very interesting looking museum. Nice casual feel to the video as well.

Nigel
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I seem to remember that Airfix's original Harvard release carried CAP markings (or maybe I've developed aa false memory from childhood).

Return to “General Chat”