Does 'Search' Even Work

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Does 'Search' Even Work

Post by 59North »

I tried to search out the Airfix new tool A-4, with a 'no results' return. This has happened to me before, trying to search kits that should be a talked about subject.
What am I doing wrong? Or, is there a secret?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Does 'Search' Even Work

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Are you sure you haven't restricted it to a specific forum ?
I got numerous results with 'airfix new tool a4' (ignore the ') but many of them were wrong -- I got too many results.

I tried with a-4 and got told no posts had a-4 in them, not even yours :roll:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
59North

Post by 59North »

Thanks for answering, John.
Before I found my patience waning, I tried A-4, A4, Airfix A-4, Airfix new tool A-4 and A4 in both 0 items and Aviation Modelling. Messages were; words are too common, not contained in any posts,
etc,etc blah,blah,blah.

Not too worry, Scalemates is our friend.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Her is the link to my A4 build as part of a GB http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4+Skyhawks

It’s a great little kit, fully recommended

Here is a link to a review of the kit on this site http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4362
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
59North

Post by 59North »

Thank you for the links, Splash. Just what I was looking for!
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Sometimes you have to be a bit more clever than the stupid computer that doesn't recognise dashes and the like :evil:
A simple search for Skyhawk in Topic Titles Only gives 21 results and just a few posts down is Douglas A4P Skyhawk - Airfix NT 1/72 http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... wk#p219905;
Airfix will always throw up a myriad of results (too many) A-4, F-4, M4 and suchlike are far too short. You have to think of an uncommon word and restrict the search to titles only and not every conversation someone mentions it in ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
59North

Post by 59North »

Thanks Ratch.
I realize I'm not that bright on PC and gadgetry. In fact, I'd fight the 'Terminator' by looking for the off/on switch. Perhaps a search function for computer idiots is too much to hope for.
iggie

Post by iggie »

It can be quicker to use Google search to interrogate this site; search for the phrase or key words you require and add UAMF to the search.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

splash wrote:Her is the link to my A4 build as part of a GB http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4+Skyhawks

It’s a great little kit, fully recommended

Here is a link to a review of the kit on this site http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4362
Maybe it's something to do with production batches (or maybe I'm just a bad modeller?-Nobody answer that one!) but I'm getting to the final stages with two of these built side by side (along with a Fujimi A-4C and Academy F-8E) and I had fit issues with the right-hand intake on both of them. I thought it might have been a design anomaly until I re-read your post Alan.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the search facility but it falls down due to the friendly freedom afforded to the membership.

I am rather disciplined with my thread subject titles, I put Manufacturer/scale/subject, eg. Airfix 1/72 Aichi Val.

This means anyone using the search will find it straight away. But because of the freedom offered to us I could just have easily have called the thread 'Zee's Japanese wingy thing' and that would have perfectly acceptable. But, of course, using the search facility might have been more difficult when trying to find a Val.

And then, just to compound the problem, we have the Workbench threads where it is very disjointed and messy, so finding something there borders on the impossible. And this is the reason I personally do not have WB thread instead preferring to put things in the appropriate section (Aviation, AFVs etc. etc.). This is also why I do not visit the WB area, I wouldn't know where to start!

Zee28

Return to “General Chat”