What are you reading ?

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: What are you reading ? (merged)

Post by PaulBradley »

I'm about halfway through re-reading O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels......love 'em.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Just finished Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. The first of a trilogy. I would highly recommend.

Crooked cops. Do they come any other way? If I'd been just a little dumber, I could have joined the force myself.

A:B 2016 9:8 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 314:82
SBO
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SBO »

Currently about a third of the way through 'Spitfire Ace', the biography of Gordon Olive who was an Australian Spitfire pilot during the Battle of Britain. Really well written and is also of local interest to me given his posting to RAF Hornchurch. Really good so far, though I shall probably finish it soon and can give more detailed updates!
My modelling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mattscalemodels/
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

I'm part way through re-reading all Douglas Reeman's 20th century naval war novels.

David
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

in the last two weeks I have read 'Wings on my sleeve' by Eric 'winkle' Brown and 'Spitfire Girl' by Jackie Moggridge. Both excellent reads and I wholeheartedly recommend both of them. Next in the pile is 'Sigh for a Merlin' by Alex Henshaw.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well, I finished Peter Hopkirk's Great Game trilogy and am about Central Asia'd out. I'm finishing up with portions from two books about the Soviets in Afghanistan during the 1980's ....

Not sure where I'll go after that for pure history, maybe back to the Great War for 1917 and 1918. For a bit of history/fiction, I've gotten a John Buchan anthology -- finished 39 Steps and am now into Greenmantle. My recent readings provide great background and John Buchan was part of that.

I've also got several huge sci-fi anthologies to flit around in ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Half way through Pontiac and the Indian Uprising. 1760-1764 time period.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just reading and enjoying 'Ark Royal' by Mike Rossiter (IIRC), interesting story of both the Carrier in World War II and the author's search for the wreck.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Fields of Fire - James Webb, a novel based on the Vietnam War. I've owned my copy since about 1981 and it is now looking a little dog eared after many reads over the years. Webb served in Vietnam and his experiences help to give the story proper authenticity. IMHO this is one of the finest novels written based on the conflict. Period. Probably out of print now but if you can get hold of a copy I recommend it without reservation.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

'The Most Dangerous Enemy, A History of the Battle of Britain' by Stephen Bungay, lent to me by a friend, and 'Those Who Have Borne the Battle, A History of America's Wars and Those Who Fought Them' by James Wright.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I changed my mind about reading 'Sigh for a Merlin'. I'll read that at a later date.

Just finished 'The Guest Cat' by Takashi Hiraide. A beautiful book and a profound look at the society of Japan and the mindset of it's people in the late 80's early 90's. This one's a keeper for me and this is only the second non model/aviation/military related book I will keep. (the other being James Herbert's 'Fluke')

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm done with the Great Game, the Russians, Central Asia and all that ... been trekking about for a year now.

Moving on to the American West with The Earth is Weeping - The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West - by Peter Cozzens.

Nice big book to take on holiday ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Gregers wrote:I changed my mind about reading 'Sigh for a Merlin'. I'll read that at a later date.

Just finished 'The Guest Cat' by Takashi Hiraide. A beautiful book and a profound look at the society of Japan and the mindset of it's people in the late 80's early 90's. This one's a keeper for me and this is only the second non model/aviation/military related book I will keep. (the other being James Herbert's 'Fluke')

All the best.

Greg
The Guest Cat is a lovely book and well worth a read.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Currently reading "fight for the Throne" by Christopher Duffy; an utterly superb book about the 1745 Jacobite rising- extensively researched, well provided with maps, it is the best book I have read on the subject.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Down To The Sea by Bruce Henderson, a story of 4 US Navy ships from Pearl Harbor until 3 years later while supporting the invasion of the Philippines, Admiral Halsey sailed the fleet into the largest storm the US Navy had ever encountered. The result, 3 ships sunk, 28 ships damaged, 146 aircraft destroyed and 756 men lost at sea.

Nigel

Return to “General Chat”