Other Hobbies

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Other Hobbies

Post by VickersVandal »

Ha! Thread revival indeed!
Love that Great War coin, iggie!

I have moved from the borderline-suicidal hobby of downhill skating (see a few posts back) to the more sedate and revered ancient art of homebrewing:

(The 299th Pursuit Squadron was a fictitious US Spad sqn in one of the Biggles stories)

Also, like you Shaun, guitar and bass are my jam ;)
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
iggie

Post by iggie »

ShaunW wrote:An interesting thread revival, Iggie and quite timely too as far as I'm concerned as I'm getting into other hobby revivals at the moment including playing guitar and bass guitar (I played in local bands for quite a few years) and I'm also giving serious thought towards a return to cycling (I last rode a pedal bike 10 years ago).
I've never played a musical instrument (other than the obligatory recorder at school) and have secretly always regretted it. I sang for a while in an Opera group many years ago, and I have sung at St George's Chapel Windsor and the Albert Hall. I also used to do the sound desk for a local band, which was great fun.

I'm not sure about cycling though....why the return? :shock:
VickersVandal wrote:Ha! Thread revival indeed!
Love that Great War coin, iggie!

I have moved from the borderline-suicidal hobby of downhill skating (see a few posts back) to the more sedate and revered ancient art of homebrewing:

(The 299th Pursuit Squadron was a fictitious US Spad sqn in one of the Biggles stories)

Also, like you Shaun, guitar and bass are my jam ;)
Nothing borderline about it!! :shock: :shock: Mind you, back in the mid-seventies, we used to bolt our trucks onto 8' long floorboards and race down a hill near where I grew up. We overtook a couple of cars one day, and got told off later by the local bobby :-D . I had ACS 650 trucks, and 70mm Red Kryptonics for wheels :grin:

How is it I can remember that, yet forget what I go upstairs for most of the time? :roll: :shock:

I like the look of the homebrew; that's a great label :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Long boarding is one of those things I'd love to do, but will Never Ever have the balls to actually try... ever.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

I do a bit of woodturning, mainly pens, most of my shed is given over to the lathe, bandsaw, bench sander, wood stock etc. Modelling & airbrushing gets what's left.

Fountain & rollerball pens can be seen in the photo below the turned material is olivewood, the metal parts come in a kit form. More can be seen on my FP page @ https://www.facebook.com/turningimp/;

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I love those pens! I have one very similar which has been turned from wood from an olive grove in Bethlehem.

You may just have solved my Christmas shopping problems :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

iggie wrote: Nothing borderline about it!! :shock: :shock: Mind you, back in the mid-seventies, we used to bolt our trucks onto 8' long floorboards and race down a hill near where I grew up. We overtook a couple of cars one day, and got told off later by the local bobby :-D . I had ACS 650 trucks, and 70mm Red Kryptonics for wheels :grin:

How is it I can remember that, yet forget what I go upstairs for most of the time? :roll: :shock:

I like the look of the homebrew; that's a great label :-D
Sorry, bit slow on the response time... :oops:

The 70mm Kryptos are classics! Modern downhill wheels aren't greatly different from them. I tested and designed wheels and boards for a company for a while there....until the second broken leg brought an end to it. I still have some boards and I'll occasionaly roll around to the corner store, but no more racing for me.

I'm the same with the memory - I can recall any amount of detail about my hobby but half the time I'm lucky to remember to put on trousers of a morning...

Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Didn't spot this thread first time around so well done for reviving it. I have lots of interests besides building model kits. Indeed, the subject matter of the kits I build are often inspired by other areas of interest.

I am interested in aviation and the history of aviation.
I am also interested in space, astronomy and spaceflight, so read a lot about that - especially the history of spaceflight. I have recently made some presentation/talks to various groups on this topic and my space related models have been used to illustrate some of the subjects covered - such as the Space Shuttle or the Saturn V.
I strum my acoustic guitar now and then and have recently got back into it after a long lay off.

The hobby that takes up most of my time, however, is performing with a local amateur musical and theatrical society. We have just finished a production of the show "Made in Dagenham" and tonight will have our first get together for the next show, which is a compilation show rather than a traditional musical. The group is called "Cody Musical Theatre Company" and some may spot the link with Samuel Cody of pioneer aviation fame. The group dates back to 1920 and for many years was known as the RAE and Farnborough Amateur Operatic Society. We perform to a very high standard (even if I say so myself) and have won lots of awards over the years.

We have a very informative website -

http://codymusical.co.uk/
iggie

Post by iggie »

Eric Mc wrote:Didn't spot this thread first time around so well done for reviving it. I have lots of interests besides building model kits. Indeed, the subject matter of the kits I build are often inspired by other areas of interest.

I am interested in aviation and the history of aviation.
I am also interested in space, astronomy and spaceflight, so read a lot about that - especially the history of spaceflight. I have recently made some presentation/talks to various groups on this topic and my space related models have been used to illustrate some of the subjects covered - such as the Space Shuttle or the Saturn V.
I strum my acoustic guitar now and then and have recently got back into it after a long lay off.

The hobby that takes up most of my time, however, is performing with a local amateur musical and theatrical society. We have just finished a production of the show "Made in Dagenham" and tonight will have our first get together for the next show, which is a compilation show rather than a traditional musical. The group is called "Cody Musical Theatre Company" and some may spot the link with Samuel Cody of pioneer aviation fame. The group dates back to 1920 and for many years was known as the RAE and Farnborough Amateur Operatic Society. We perform to a very high standard (even if I say so myself) and have won lots of awards over the years.

We have a very informative website -

http://codymusical.co.uk/

I used to get involved in 'am-dram' while still at school; never on the stage but I loved designing & building sets; my best ones were for the Heiress (Henry James) and Antigone ( Jean Anouilh). This last one involved a huge timber staircase, all in white with a prison cell below, again in white and the rest of the set being entirely black. The cast (I got stuck with playing Jonas) were all in brilliant white tracksuits :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I've picked up top-rope rock climbing over the last two years. Its more fun than drinking.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

I paint seascapes in various mediums. Lighthouses from around the world (but mainly from the U.S.) are my favorite subjects.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

PMM. Awesome painting, that's just beautiful.
Softscience. Nothing like being up a cliff face to get the adrenaline going, many moons ago I used to free climb. NOT something I would consider doing now I have a family though. Now I sm older I can appreciate the gravity of the sport (pun intended)

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Lovely lighthouse. I have a fondness for lighthouses. I grew up on the coast (near Dublin) and the lighthouse in and around the Dublin Bay area have always been significant landmarks.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

This other hobby will be the ruin of me.
Keeping 40+ year old cars on the road now is pretty challenging. But then, they look and sound awesome so it's worth it.

This is the latest symptom of the disease:

My modelling output is not high at the best of times. It will be taking an even greater hit for the forseeable future as I will probably be stripping down and rebuilding a spare engine for this (bored out, higher compression, lumpy cam etc etc etc...).

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I know from experience that cars can be an expensive hobby. My best project specs are as follows.
Ford Capri mk3 1.6 (base model)

Mods......

2.1 Burton race engine
Fast road cam
Lightened and ballenced crank, pistons and flywheel
Two re-jetted twin 45 DCOE Webber carbs
Full 4-2-1 Janspeed exhaust system and K&N filters
Fine tuned and eventually put out 210bhp at the back wheels and a 0-60 mph of 7.2.
RS bonnet vents to aid cooling
6 dial instrument cluster replacing the original 2 dial one
Sprayed SAAB metallic ruby.
5 slot P1000 mag alloys with 205/16 tyres

Damn I miss that car.

All the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

That would have been quickish ;-) :grin:

My plans for this car are pretty minimal but I know the engine is living on borrowed time so I need to start building up another and since I am, I might as well mod it for a bit more go.

Return to “General Chat”