Other Hobbies

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
MerlinJones

Re: Other Hobbies

Post by MerlinJones »

I knew Oz was a murderous spot, wasn't aware that NZ was! :shock:
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

it's a bit of an irony really (which I'm sure that the chickens appreciate) that to be free range, they are actually less safe than if cooped in a cage all the time so we have occasional hawks dropping in as the chicken run is too large to roof in, even with wire netting; rats will tunnel in under the wire (like reverse Colditz); and stoats will come through the wire...and then some chickens get lucky and make it over the wire where their first instinct is to run towards the dogs' compound...and every once in a while, one will push another into the pond that is their water source...+ it only takes a bit of a sudden weather change to add to the hazards...

The adults generally survive most threats Ok but the young ones are vulnerable to just about everything til they are 4-5 month old...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

This:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kkviQ41u0eQ

I'd try to sell you all on it except that I've now broken my second leg doing it and had to give it up. I still design boards for racing. For the past two years I was designing and testing boards and wheels. Can't test anymore :sad:

Awesome hobby while it lasted. Not much beats blasting down a hill at 60+ kmh on a slab of timber.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Holy Schmolies, Vickers. That is really cool.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

I act, as those who've seen the "It's a mystery" thread in this forum will have spotted. The York Mystery Plays really ate into modelling time, but I'm back now!
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

jssel wrote:Holy Schmolies, Vickers. That is really cool.
What malt beverage was close by when you had that thought ?
You are supposed to dispatch Red Cross workers, not have them scrape you off the roadway .... :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have always had a love of aircraft and at the age of 16 joined the Fleet Air Arm as a Naval Air Mechanic this lead on to me changing branches to become an Aircrewman and to fly for over twenty years.

When I left the Navy in 1993 I always fancied flying radio controlled helicopters, but the cost at the time was unbelievably high and the models on the market were very,very,very hard to fly, so I put the hobby on hold, with the introduction of cheap electronics about 6 years ago I bought my first micro r/c helicopter a little electric Bell 47 indoor model that had 5 channel r/c and about 5 minutes flight time.

From the little first r/c helicopter i had several small electric helicopters, until I had a real bit of luck, January this year I got made redundant and it gave me the chance to spend some quality modelling time at home.

Whilst spending time at the bench I had a knock at the door from an elderly neighbour who asked if I wanted to buy his collection of r/c nitro powered helicopters, as he was unable to lift them into the back of his car and was down sizing to smaller electric helicopters, I jumped at the chance and for less than the cost one helicopter I was the proud owner of four large nitro Helicopter (when I say big I have to dismantle them just to fit one in my Mazda MX5's boot/trunk ) plus transmitter, starter, fuel and enough spares to make a 5th helicopter.

So when the weather is right, I'm afraid there is no contest I'm out down the flying field doing circuits. But as the nights are now getting longer its time to get some bench time in and mothball the fliers.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

There are a few other things, apart from working for British Airways, that eat into my valuable modelling time.

First off, I'm a mature student, studying with the Open University for a BSc in Engineering Business Design (Design and Innovation). That eats up a fair bit of my time although, since last week, I'm on a 3 month study break after 2 1/2 years non-stop academic work.

Another thing that I do is voluntary work at a small heritage railway in the Garw Valley in South Wales. Until last month, when I stepped down due to work and study commitments, I was the Director of Engineering, a post I filled for 2 years. My pet project at the railway is this.

It's a 1956 British Railways Shark ballast plough brake van. The picture was taken a while back and a lot of work has been undertaken since. This winter, after winning a grant for restoration from the local authority, I'll be putting an aluminium roof on the vehicle. Not original but eminently practical for a railway that aims to operate the Shark as it was intended.

And lastly, but definately not leastly, I've been a biker for (hem hem) years. Since my first 50cc Honda when I was 16. Being an engineer, I also have a bit of a penchant for rebuilding and restoration. This is my workshop.

In front is a 2007 Honda CB600F-6 Hornet, bought cheaply from a guy in work as an unfinished damaged recovery project. It only took me a week to get it tidied up and fully serviced, including respraying the fuel tank. Behind the Honda is my beloved 1994 Triumph 900S Sprint. I've owned this bike for 14 years but, due to various reasons, she wasn't ridden for a long time. With only 26000 miles on the clock and knowing how much money and care I'd previously lavished on the bike, particularly the engine, I'm going to spend the winter, and maybe next winter, restoring her to showroom condition.

And that is what else I do when I'm not at my model bench.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

My main hobby is astronomy.
I must admit that my modelling comes secondary to that - however - the way the weather is in this country, I guess I probaly spend more time at my workbench, than I do, actively looking through telescopes.

Other aspects of the 'astro' hobby do take up a lot of time though....
I co-founded, and run the Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society, along with my mate (the other co-founder) - the two of us also do a 'What's up in the sky this month' spot on local radio. I also admin the Society's website, and facebook page, as well as running my own astronomy hobbyist forum, which has been going for over 6yrs now.
Whenever the sky is expected to be totally clear (sadly, not often enough), a bunch of us head up to a spot in upper Teesdale, away from streetlights, for extended sky-observing sessions.
And I'm always tinkering with optical gear - tweaking and upgrading, etc. Even built myself a 10" diameter reflector telescope a few yrs ago.
Oh, and that round thing in my avatar is the business-end of a 4" refractor telescope - my favourite planetary 'scope :)
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
dadlamassu
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by dadlamassu »

My main hobby is wargaming and this where my modelling skills get used http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/index1.htm.

I also spend loads of time and effort on family and grandchildren. You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing!!!
http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Games_with ... nvaded.htm

Alongside those are:

Charity work mainly related to Armed Forces charities - Royal British Legion Scotland, Poppy Scotland, Combat Stress, etc.
http://www.rblslivingston.co.uk/RBLSLIV ... LLERY.html

Watercolour painting - landscapes mainly and a few aircraft http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Watercolours.htm

I used to be in the Territorial Army (41 years).

Then there is reading, writing articles, volunteering at the Citizens Advice Bureau, mentoring youths, looking after an aged and ill mother, walking dogs ...
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

I don't like to blow my own trumpet but ... PARP!

Here's the local paper's review of my latest effort...

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/leisure/thea ... ecember_2/;
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

So, which one are you in that photo, Matt? :ha:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:So, which one are you in that photo, Matt? :ha:
He's the Special Effects chap - with the soup :shock: :ha:
Up in the Great White North
iggie

Post by iggie »

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN! :-D

I knew there must have been a thread about the other things that members of this forum get up to when real life and modelling don't interfere! The last entry was four and a half years ago, so with lots of new members joining since then, plus perhaps some new hobbies for some of the original contributors, I thought I'd resurrect the thread and see what comes out of the woodwork :grin:

For my part, as well as our narrowboat Great Escape, I have in recent years become interested in collecting first day covers and to a lesser degree, coin covers and coins, mainly aviation related. The first day covers started when I was still connected with the efforts to get and keep Vulcan XH558 in the air, and Bletchley Park Post Office released some limited edition covers for us to raise money. I bought two of each at their release price, and have kept them since, and have bought many others relating to other planes. I got to know the guys at BP post Office, and when they recently closed the business, I bought most of their remaining stock of aircraft covers :-D
The coins resulted from a couple of first day covers that had coins set into them, and my most recent acquisition is the new £2 coin from the Royal Mint commemorating aviation from the first World War, the design of which is beautiful.
Over to you lot!!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

An interesting thread revival, Iggie and quite timely too as far as I'm concerned as I'm getting into other hobby revivals at the moment including playing guitar and bass guitar (I played in local bands for quite a few years) and I'm also giving serious thought towards a return to cycling (I last rode a pedal bike 10 years ago).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “General Chat”