Jamesaw's Son, a Fellow Modeler here to see the community my dad was a part of for 10+ years

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
JamesWright99
Series 3 and Beyond

Jamesaw's Son, a Fellow Modeler here to see the community my dad was a part of for 10+ years

Post by JamesWright99 »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to put this out here as I am new to the community and interested in getting involved and posting my kits. I have a limited capacity to build right now as most of my materials are in Canada, but I have done a few 1/72 scale armour kits as is my general interest. My dad was on this community for a decade place under the username "Jamesaw", and spoke often of the great chats he had on here. He passed on May 11th 2023 after a long battle with colon cancer, which he mentioned several times on here. He was a wonderful father, one of my best friends, and a phenomenal scale modeler. He taught me practically all the skills I have, and I doubt I will ever get to the level he was at. When I am back in Canada, I will try to make a post of all the models he built that I have.

Thanks for letting me join your community, I am in Britain now studying my Masters degree and have found building connections a lot harder than my experience in Canada.

-James
JamesWright99
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Jamesaw's Son, a Fellow Modeler here to see the community my dad was a part of for 10+ years

Post by JamesWright99 »

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Jamesaw's Son, a Fellow Modeler here to see the community my dad was a part of for 10+ years

Post by DavidWomby »

Nice job on that Titanic.. Especially under
what must have been difficult circumstances. And it's lighted! Looks great.

David
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Hello James

I am very sorry to hear of your father's passing. As you rightly say, he was a terrific modeller and I greatly enjoyed our forum chats. I hope that you get to be just as involved in this little online community as he is.

Our roles are a somewhat reversed - I'm the Brit in Ottawa 🇨🇦 .
I hope you enjoy your time in the UK. Where are you based?

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
JamesWright99
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by JamesWright99 »

These are photos of my dad's last kit, he and I built it together, though he did most of the work before his readmission to the hospital on 18 April 2023. It is a Revell 1/570 scale Titanic, with after-market etched metal add-ons and rigging. I was astounded at his ability to still get the lines straight and clean with the airbrush and hand painting despite, at the time, being in an extremely advanced state. He could hardly stand at that point. I told him in the hospital that the 1/24 Scale Airfix Spitfire Mk 9 that he had bought himself when we more or less knew the end was near, I would build with my child one day. I also said that I would go to the Battlefield of Brandywine (near to where my wife grew up) and see the battlefield and then eventually do a diorama of it. He and I had planned a trip to visit at some point last summer and were meant to leave on a flight to visit Oxford in the UK where I am doing my Masters right now, the night he passed. There is something deeply poetic about the fact that he passed the night we were meant to fly to England, his birthplace and where he had such fond memories of his childhood and Airfix especially.
JamesWright99
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by JamesWright99 »

AndrewR wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:41 am Hello James

I am very sorry to hear of your father's passing. As you rightly say, he was a terrific modeller and I greatly enjoyed our forum chats. I hope that you get to be just as involved in this little online community as he is.

Our roles are a somewhat reversed - I'm the Brit in Ottawa 🇨🇦 .
I hope you enjoy your time in the UK. Where are you based?

cheers

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the kind words. As do I, thank you for letting me become a part of it!

I was based in the Newmarket area and Toronto the last decade and was where I grew up. Currently doing my masters in Archaeology in Oxford. I like the weather here a bit better.

Best,

-James
JamesWright99
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by JamesWright99 »

DavidWomby wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:37 am Nice job on that Titanic.. Especially under
what must have been difficult circumstances. And it's lighted! Looks great.

David
As I built it, and then subsequently painted some British paratroopers and Rogers Rangers, I thought the kits would be my last because of the context, but I have managed to keep to it and don't forsee stopping any time soon. Thanks for the comments, too! My mum cherishes it. The lights wowed everyone.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

JamesWright99 wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:46 am Currently doing my masters in Archaeology in Oxford. I like the weather here a bit better.

Best,

-James
We lived near Oxford for two years. My wife had a post-doc position there in Chemistry. It's a bit damp for my liking in the winter. Also they have absolutely no idea how to deal with snow in Oxfordshire. You will find it entertaining! 😀
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard, James. Your father, Jamesaw, was a great member and contributor here and certainly we are happy to welcome you to make your own home here. Make yourself comfortable and we’re certain you’ll contribute as much. We’re an easy bunch to hang about with.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice story James. Good of you to join us.

Nigel
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Welcome, James; I remember your dad's active participation.
Honoured to have you with us, continuing his tradition.

David
wokka

Post by wokka »

The Titanic is superb considering the scale and it's amazing your father was still able to build it despite the condition he was in. As is said here in Germany -Respekt.
It's only pain, work through it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The Titanic looks beautiful.

Btw nowhere in the Uk handles snow well.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesWright99
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by JamesWright99 »

AndrewR wrote: December 7th, 2023, 1:25 am
JamesWright99 wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:46 am Currently doing my masters in Archaeology in Oxford. I like the weather here a bit better.

Best,

-James
We lived near Oxford for two years. My wife had a post-doc position there in Chemistry. It's a bit damp for my liking in the winter. Also they have absolutely no idea how to deal with snow in Oxfordshire. You will find it entertaining! 😀
Hah, I can't wait to see that! We haven't got a dusting of snow quite yet but I expect we will by January or Feb.
JamesWright99
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by JamesWright99 »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: December 7th, 2023, 2:17 am Welcome aboard, James. Your father, Jamesaw, was a great member and contributor here and certainly we are happy to welcome you to make your own home here. Make yourself comfortable and we’re certain you’ll contribute as much. We’re an easy bunch to hang about with.
Thank you very much, John!

Return to “General Chat”