Spray Booth Wiring Help

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Spray Booth Wiring Help

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I was at work tossing out some old servers when I came across these fans. I pulled out 4 in a belief that they would make good fans for a home made spray booth. They are 5 1/2 inches square. My question is does any one have any idea how I should wire them up? I have no clue what so ever.

Here is a look at the connector and wires

.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Spray Booth Wiring Help

Post by AndrewR »

You have to be careful with that type of fan Dirk, as there is the possibility of sparks and explosions if you spray volatile organic solvents (pretty much anything smelly!). Safety fans are usually belt driven, not direct drive.
Up in the Great White North
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

I use an old power supply fan in mine Dirk. 100mm diameter, a 12v 0.5A dc, I grabbed an old 12 DC plug pack 300mA, I had lining around and wired them through a switch. To to safe should have picked a plug pack with a higher current rating that the fan. 500mA or above, but she doesn't run for hours on end, and hasn't burst into fire.....

Push switch for the fan at the bottom left.
It's the metal casing of an old bread maker, don't have room for anything thing huge, with a wooden top with a plastic window in the the top, a wooden base and a cheap flexible light mounted on it.

High tech fan hood.
Thin board as a baffle. Btw the turntable is a bit of wood push fitted over an old hard drive motor and bearing, turns really easy and smooth..

I can't quite make out the voltage in that piccie you took, too bright and washed out. It looks like a 24V 2.30Amps, a bit of a grunter, I'd say a server fan if there was any, I bet she'll be a noisy bugger.

I don't know if you'd need all four fans for a spray booth, I bet they move a large volume of air.

You should be able to run it at a lower voltage, the fan will just run slower, so may not be as noisy.

From other PC fans there is normally three wires out of a fan, a +ve, -ve and a sensor wire for the speed sensor, so the system board can monitor the fan. To run the fan you need a DC supply on the +ve and -ve, probably red for positive and black for negative. With a fan if you get them swapped around it'll run backwards.

Really need to open that connector up and see how many wires you have there Dirk. I see a yellow, blue, red and a black.

Cheers
Jim
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Keep posting here boys please - I´m thinking of doing something similar and I´d appreciate a few tips!
running at the edge of their world
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Type "make an airbrush booth" into google - lots of hints and tips at the links. Be careful with your fan - sparks from the motor can set off the fumes.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Sparks would be from DC motors with brushes (graphite blocks) running on a commutator to pass current to the windings on the rotor. That fan of Dirk's says brushless, no coils on the rotor, has permament magnets, instead so I would say no sparks. Computers wouldn't like a sparking electrical source inside them, as it would be an interference source.

Here's Wiki's entry on brushless motors.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_ ... hed_motors;

Cheers
Jim
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The four wires means it uses pulse width modulation control. The motor runs at 24V DC, but switches on and off rapidly to get the right speed. That's probably the blue wire, and the yellow is the sensor. I'm not sure what signal goes along blue, or if the fan will come on at all if it's not connected. It might come on and be "on" permanently, which might not be good for it.
A three wire fan like Jim's is a lot easier to deal with.
Any ideas Jim? This is a bit out of my area!
Up in the Great White North

Return to “General Chat”