OT's Bush War Brawlers *** DNF ***

To build a pairing of machines which would have had a dog-fight, which is the general term for fighter aeroplanes fighting each other. It does not include bomber interception, or missile attacks, but does include "dogfight" type combat of ships, AFV, Sci-Fi, etc.
GB runs 3 Oct - 15 Nov and your host is FredK.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: OT's Bush War Brawlers

Post by Old_Tonto »

Sir T wrote:It'll be worth the fight when it's done!
She it getting there SirT.

Overall the fit is not too bad considering the age of the kit. The wings, horizontal stabilizers & engine intakes have been attached. I just need to persuade the nose cone to fit smoothly as I intend to leave it off until all the other painting is done. All joins required a little filler but no real dramas. 8-)
The pilot is painted and installed - he has legs too. :lol:

Dry fitting the canopy showed that the bulkhead behind the seat prevents the canopy from sitting correctly so the craft knife fettled that this morning. My hacking damage should not be visible when everything is closed up.
The canopy is currently drying after receiving a coat of Klear. It's not the most transparent of glazing but it's the only choice here. :sad: Hopefully the Klear will improve things.

The MiG-21 is currently soaking in a bag full of Mr Muscle to strip off all the paint. More on that tonight I hope.

I have also given the stand some thought so will mock something up once both fighters are primed.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
fredk

Post by fredk »

Coming along well
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's really nice - it's a superb looking jet.

Great work OT!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Just a quick update on this one. I got the canopy & nose cone to fit after a bit of hassle so off to the paint shop she went.

A coat of Halfords primer is now drying:

I see that I will have to blend the wing in a bit more at the shoulder but everything else looks good.

The MiG-21 has been striped of paint thanks to Mr Muscle:

Just a little cleaning up to do. I removed the canopy this morning to fit the pilot but am toying with the idea of having the ejection seat launching out. 8-)
I still need to find or make U\C doors, four pylons and a pitot tube. Oh, & missiles.

I have also found this description of the combat from
Vlamgat: The Story of the Mirage F1 in the South African Air Force by Brigadier-General Richard Lord (Author)

Quote:

At 07h00 on 6th November Mission 269, the early morning shift, was scrambled by Major Marsh Facer, the Dayton radar fighter controller. He was tracking enemy aircraft moving south to wards Quiteve. Previously, during attempted interceptions, the MiGs had always retired out of range when ever SAAF fighters were detected by their early-warning radar. On this occasion, the F1CZs used a low-level penetration up to the Cunene River to stay be low enemy radar cover, while accelerating to combat speed.

Major Johan Rankin and Lieutenant Johan du Plessis, pitched to 25,000 feet in fewer than 30 seconds and were undetected by the enemy radar controllers. Johan du Plessis sighted the enemy flying in the opposite direction as they passed between three and five nautical miles on the port beam. They identified the enemy as two MiG-21s flying in a fighting element formation at the same height as the Mirages.

Jettisoning their drop tanks, the F1s entered a hard left turn that brought them in behind the unsuspecting MiGs. The enemy were flying 1,000 to 1,500 metres apart, with the No 2 aircraft trailing 30 degrees behind the leader’s beam. The MiGs were flying directly into sun, precluding a shot with the Matra 550 infra red guided missile. Instead Rankin, closing from astern of enemy No. 2, fired a burst of 30mm explosive shells from approximately 350 metres. Immediately, a puff of smoke appeared around the MiG and fuel started leaking from the fuselage.

The MiGs entered a tight, descending, left-hand turn and jettisoned their fuel tanks. Major Rankin, by now in missile range of the lead MiG, attempted to launch his own missile, which malfunctioned. Rankin re-entered a curve of pursuit on MiG No 2, telling Johan du Plessis to go after the MiG leader. MiG No. 2 committed a cardinal sin of aerial combat and reversed his turn, allowing Johan to close range rapidly and fire again with his cannons. The MiG exploded, immediately breaking in two behind the cockpit and forcing Johan to break away violently to avoid the debris. He watched as the stricken aircraft spiralled down in flames and saw the enemy pilot eject.

Mean while, Johan du Plessis followed the Mig leader, who had entered a last-ditch spiral manoeuvre. Twice he entered the firing parameters for a missile launch, but his missiles also failed to fire, the high “G” descending turn possibly exceeding the Matra 550 launch limits.

Both Mirage pilots were fêted on their return to Ondangwa, the MiG 21 being the first aircraft shot down by the SAAF since Korea. The celebration was short-lived, as all indications pointed to further encounters with MiGs, and our air-to-air missiles were shown to be below standard.

This tells me that I need to display the Mirage minus centreline drop tanks whilst the MiG still has one until after the initial contact. I think I will try to depict the moment when the MiG explodes and Rankin pulls away violently. I'll try to mock this up later to better show what I mean.

More to follow. :smilie_flagge3:
Current Projects:
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Interesting project OT.

Nigel
fredk

Post by fredk »

How are these coming along?
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Apologies for the lack of updates Fred. Just got back off holiday in the early hours of Sunday morning so nothing has changed.

I will do a quick update tonight.
Current Projects:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Just a quick update. If you remember at the beginning of this thread I said it would be quicker to build a new MiG than refurbish this one. Well, I wasn't wrong! :frown:

I have cannibalised the U\C doors and pylons from a MiG-21R. I have another pair of pylons to fit but they need a little extra work.

I managed to get the first coat of light blue on the underside this morning. Tonight I will paint the pilot figure and close up the canopy & add another coat to the underside. Once that has dried I will mask it off and start the topside camouflage.

The Mirage has had the wing to fuselage join filled & smoothed over ready for painting. The underside has been painted 'Light Admiralty Grey'. A great name for a colour especially as it's not grey but a pale blue. :???:

More to follow soon, I plan to make a start on the base tonight.
Current Projects:
Old_Tonto

Re: OT's Bush War Brawlers *** DNF ***

Post by Old_Tonto »

I'm sad to say that this & all other builds are on hold for at least two weeks due to medical reasons. Apologies to all.

I will finish this up later and show it in the Aviation section.
Current Projects:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

No probs matey, hope you're fighting fit soon. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Get well soon OT!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
fredk

Post by fredk »

Get well soon, wishing you a speedy recovery to modelling fitness.
Finish this when you are able and have the mojo.

Return to “Dogfight Double”