Marky's Vixen ancestor! **DNF**

For ... wait for it .... de Havilland aircraft - any kit, any scale, any markings, etc.
GB runs 3 Oct - 1 Nov and your host is Gregers.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marky's Vixen ancestor!

Post by MarkyM607 »

SIGH. After running up the white flag of a DNF just before the 1st, I then ran it down again after the extension to the 7th. Looks like I need to run it back up the flagpole. The canopy has vanished and I can't recall ever having it, unless it went out with the jiffy bag the kit came in. The replacement is pinched from an F-86, it seems the right shape and size near enough but it's impossible to put it offset as is required without sanding it and losing the framing. It's also tilted so not upright as the Vixen's is. Plus the decals are not present as I thought, I have no red boxes with crosses in that go on the back of the fuselage, I have to hand paint the fin flashes as I have none the right size that are slanted.
Further, I'm going to have to upset Gregers, the decals he kindly sent me are not applicable to the first prototype WG236 so I can only use the roundels. Sorry matey!. Looking through my Warpaint on the Sea Vixen it seems FROG made up their own serial numbers as XF830 featured was never assigned to Vixen's!!.
Anyway, will carry on and see if I can get a canopy form somewhere. The Falcon set has one but I only need one and the set is £12 something!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

It's looking really good. Excellent work extending the exhausts and blunting the nose. If you're doing WG236 in silver, do you need red crosses for the top of the fuselage? I can't see them in this pic

Also, the canopy is nothing like that of a production Sea Vixen so maybe you can use something else that looks more like this?

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Come on Marky, you can do this! You've put in so much excellent work already it would be great to see you bring it in on time (or close to it)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks chaps, unfortunately she won't get finished in time but she won't be far past the finish line.
Dwomby, thanks very much for the pic or WG236, that's a view I haven't got. Think you may have saved me some trouble, cheers!. :grin: (also helps with the position of the wing roundels).
Iggie, sorry matey, went out star spotting as it was actually clear last night. The replacement canopy is okay but will need replacing itself as there are gaps that will need fairing in if it's to stay. But she will be presented in Aviation Modelling as soon as possible!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “de Havilland Aircraft”