Ratch's Klemm Kl 35B ***FINISHED***

In honor of all those ol' training aircraft - the home of many a foundering fledgling oblivious that while the IP was attempting to show a calm, reassuring demeanor, his hands, tightly clutched onto some aircraft part, were slowly tearing it to pieces .... Many of us have been there .... The GB runs 1 to 29 Nov, and your host is Old_Tonto.
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Ratch's Klemm Kl 35B ***FINISHED***

Post by Ratch »

Formed in 1926, the Klemm Leichtflugzeugbau Gmbh produced a varied range of light aeroplanes, of which one of the principal types was the tandem two-seat Kl 35. It was a sporting and training aeroplane developed as a successor to the Kl 25. It shared the same single-engine, cantilever low-wing configuration as the earlier machine, the major difference being the introduction of an inverted gull wing. This was probably Klemm's most important type, the fully aerobatic aeroplane was shown for the first time publicly in October 1935 at the international Air Show in Milan and soon found many private buyers. Powered initially by an 80 hp (60 kW) Hirth HM60R inline it had fixed undercarriage, mixed wood and fabric covering, and the choice of open or closed cockpit.
The Kl 35B was exported to Czecholslovakia, Hungary, Lithuania, Romania and Sweden. The lower powered Kl 35D was fitted with strengthened landing gear suitable for floats and ski gear. It was produced primarily as the Luftwaffe trainer, but also used as a communications aircraft throughout World War II. Thirty were also supplied to the Slovakian Air Force.
This kit was bought as part of a ‘Lucky Dip’ box containing 36 kits in various conditions for £25.00. This item was in a plain polybag with a price sticker from The Aviation Hobby Shop marked £5.50 and hand dated 5/1/89. There is a single runner of white plastic, a little crude in detail and with flash particularly on the two airmen. The instruction sheet is A4 and four sided in German. Assembly is illustrated in four exploded views and colour call-outs are in RLM references. Six finish options are illustrated, two German options for 1939, one for 1940, one for 1943 and another (presumably German) for 1985, plus an undated Swedish example. The decal sheet is perfectly in register and includes swastikas. I studied the instructions and decided upon a method to tackle this kit and then washed the runner.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Ratch

Re: Ratch's Klemm Kl 35B

Post by Ratch »

Airfix Tribute Forum
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That's a very interesting kit choice Ratch. Another one I've never heard of. :lol:

Very cool.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Can't say I'd ever heard of Huma or the Klemm before I got this kit - actually the Klemm is featured in one of my books on Luftwaffe aircraft - and I've never seen any other Huma kits :roll:
Just a little more done ;-)
Airfix Tribute Forum
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Huma do a nice selection of kits, well worth looking into
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I had cleaned up the pilots, removing the excess flash, then drilled out the instrument panels and assembled the cockpit interior. The pilots were painted in field blue uniform and the cockpit brushed with RLM 02 before assembly. All parts needed cleaning up before assembly.
The wooden propeller was done with a base coat of Humbrol 9 and over-brushed with Vallejo Model Color 182 70828 Woodgrain (Transp) using a stipple brush.

I'm building this as a Kl 35B – Deutschland-Rundflug (1938) in the silver dope scheme with wheel-spats and tail skid. Gaps at the wing root were filled with Vallejo Plastic Putty.
The wheel spats look as if they are in an extended position, not under weight and as if in flight. I decided to trim these for a grounded aircraft.

I gave the airframe a quick brush over with Humbrol Acrylic AB0001 No 1 Primer to check the surfaces and deemed them adequate. I brush painted the silver around the cockpits and nose before masking and airbrushing the airframe.

I used Vallejo Model Air 71057 Black to pre-shade and then over sprayed with silver.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That's fast progress Ratch. It's a nice looking little plane.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

As Andrew said, there's not much to it really :twisted:
I had previously painted the cowling silver by brush, but after this had been attached to the fuselage it became apparent that the coverage was too translucent. Areas of the wings suffered a similar problem where the metallic silver pigment was not properly mixed in with the carrier. I repainted the cowling with primer and then airbrushed the required areas on a tight pattern. I used my special mix to paint the tyres. I prepared for the decals by brushing Klear over the airframe to ensure a gloss foundation. This helps to prevent silvering. I was a little nervous about the kit decals, fearing they may shatter like Novo transfers when introduced to water. As a basic precaution I used Microscale Liquid Decal Film, brushing this over the whole sheet. I had intended to use the decals from Xtradecal sheet X036-72 to make the red fin stripes, but they fragmented in the water, so I painted and glossed the bands. I applied the kit decals using Vallejo Model Color 73213 Decal Fix and Microsol.

I had to make two windscreens from clear acetate because the kit ones were missing.
And its all done :)
Airfix Tribute Forum
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Smart work!, I'm not sure if it's an attractive aircraft or an ugly one!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Thanks :grin: I know what you mean :lol: charming in an old-fashioned way :ha:
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Training Aircraft”